improving gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosecoloredlenses

Reaction score
hi all, I want to improve my GPA for this next cycle. if I were to take community college classes in the sciences (bio, chem, physics), would that boost my BCP gpa if I were to transfer it over?

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible. I remember someone saying they don't use the most current grade for a course. Rather, they do a cumulative total, even if a course was failed and repeated. Admissions committees like to see an upward trend. So if you have one or more courses you know you can retake and improve. I suppose it wouldn't hurt. If there is a specific school you had in mind you can always call the admissions department and discuss your plan with them and gather their thoughts or concerns.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend just putting all your efforts towards doing well on the OAT instead. I talked to admissions of different schools and they did not recommend retaking classes to boost gpa. They said either do a post bacc or take higher level sciences. I had a low BCP gpa (around 2.7), I did great on the OAT and it completely negated my bad gpa..

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend just putting all your efforts towards doing well on the OAT instead. I talked to admissions of different schools and they did not recommend retaking classes to boost gpa. They said either do a post bacc or take higher level sciences. I had a low BCP gpa (around 2.7), I did great on the OAT and it completely negated my bad gpa..
What did you score on the OAT?

What is your gpa? If its in the 2.8-3.0 range, it would focus on the OAT and scoring above 320.

I applied this round, and was rejected with a 360 OAT and 2.7 BCP GPA. I thought doing well on the OAT would compensate for my GPA :(

At my university, I can only retake classes if I get a C- or lower, and I did not get lower than a C- so I can't retake my classes... T_T.

I applied this round, and was rejected with a 360 OAT and 2.7 BCP GPA. I thought doing well on the OAT would compensate for my GPA :(

At my university, I can only retake classes if I get a C- or lower, and I did not get lower than a C- so I can't retake my classes... T_T.
Where did you apply and how many schools? With that OAT score, you should've been accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
how did you study for the oat? and for how long
For 2 months and some change.. about 6-7 hours a day about 3-4 times a week because I had two classes and worked part time.. if you have a chunk of time like a month and a half u can dedicate completely to OAT prep you will be more than fine. I used Kaplan resources and Chads prep. I also relied a lot on YT to teach me the concepts initially (specifically the channel The Organic Chem Tutor, he teaches all subjects and has a playlist called OAT) don’t use all of them it’s not necessary just like the intro vids.. and make sure u time urself when ur taking practice tests. time is key for the QR and RC. Gooood luck!

Where did you apply and how many schools? With that OAT score, you should've been accepted.
aww thank you that's so kind of you! I only applied to SCCO and UCBSO, and was hoping for UCBSO. I had a meeting with UCBSO after my rejection and they told me that my GPA was not up there yet :(

I was also told that every other aspect of my application was strong (essay, interview, LOR, OAT, etc) but in the end it was my GPA that held me back :(

those are amazing scores! can I please ask what schools you applied to?
Salus, NECO, ICO, SUNY, and CCO. Got one acceptance so far. You still have time in the cycle apply to other schools I think you have a good chance. I also have a lot of optometric experience in case your not strong in that component I would look into shadowing opportunities or tech jobs.

Salus, NECO, ICO, SUNY, and CCO. Got one acceptance so far. You still have time in the cycle apply to other schools I think you have a good chance. I also have a lot of optometric experience in case your not strong in that component I would look into shadowing opportunities or tech jobs.
How many interviews did you get if you don't mind me asking? And have you gotten any rejections so far?

How many interviews did you get if you don't mind me asking? And have you gotten any rejections so far?
I got 5. Only interviewed at one so far and got accepted the rest are in January.

Wow that's amazing! Congrats on your acceptance, and thank you for your kind words :) I have worked as an optometric technician for a year and have an optometric internship, but I definitely think I could make it stronger by working outside of private practice optometry!

I'm not sure if optometry schools would consider community college classes as part of BCP GPA

I'm not sure if optometry schools would consider community college classes as part of BCP GPA
If it's a BCP course it'll count towards your BCP GPA it doesn't matter where you take the course from.

I got 5. Only interviewed at one so far and got accepted the rest are in January.
Hi, first of all, congratulation on your acceptance and future interviews. and wish you all the best. Would you mind telling us which school accepted you so far? Thank you .