Improving MCAT Bio Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omega_703

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently taken the MCAT 5R Practice test Bio section and scored a 10. I haven't officially started studying for the MCAT yet and just took it to test my level.

For those who started out at a 10 (diagnostic), how did you do on the actual MCAT bio section after studying and preparing?

How much can one expect to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no correct answer to this. It completely varies on the person, and each case is different.

Since it is a diagnostic, and let's say you want to take it in one month after prepping, a guess (and ONLY A GUESS), it should increase by a couple points. However, I have met many people who were scoring 33's on their MCAT practice exams, and took the real test to find out they received a 26. I would be pleased with getting a 10 on Bio Sci., but it is no promise for your actual performance.

It is probably a better idea to do many more of those practice tests after prepping to get a more accurate gauge on your MCAT potential.

And just to add, this might be a little more appropriate for the MCAT thread.

I don't remember what I got on that particular practice test, or if I even took it, but I do know that once I started scoring highly on them, it was only a difference of like 1-2 questions per point, once you get up around 10+. I got a 12 on the real one, and I know that I couldn't have been more than a question or two away from a 13, and another question or two away from a 14, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's harder to improve when you start with a fairly good score already.

On my first practice test I scored a 6 on the BS and upped it to 11-12 on the practice tests before I took the MCAT. On the actual exam I got an 11 on BS.

Basically I mostly studied the Kaplan materials and took a lot of practice tests.

Most important thing about the MCAT is making sure you are scholastically prepared (ie. you know the material, this is the easy part...) and that you are mentally prepared (ie. you are at peak condition on the day of the test, like a prize fighter or something, this is the hard part).

I think it's harder to improve when you start with a fairly good score already.

On my first practice test I scored a 6 on the BS and upped it to 11-12 on the practice tests before I took the MCAT. On the actual exam I got an 11 on BS.

Basically I mostly studied the Kaplan materials and took a lot of practice tests.

Most important thing about the MCAT is making sure you are scholastically prepared (ie. you know the material, this is the easy part...) and that you are mentally prepared (ie. you are at peak condition on the day of the test, like a prize fighter or something, this is the hard part).

Definitely agree...

I got a seven on my first diagnostic exam. Was hitting 11-12 on the practices by the time I wrote. Got an 11. Fairly satisfied, as I'm a psych major with a very minimal biology background.

Once you get up over about 10, all you can really do is take harder bio classes at school and learn more ****.