improving on a bad start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foothill21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello urology gurus. I'm a 2nd year med student at a mid-tier Med school. It's taken me more time than expected to get into the flow of how to succeed in med school. Because of "C's" in first two years of course work (with possible exception of this final semester) I will most likely be in the bottom half of the class rankings (though I'm not sure how 3rd and 4th year impact rankings). I'm Registered to take Step 1 this summer. I'm sold on Uro. What things are most important for me to do now to off-set poor early showing and put myself in position to be a strong applicant for uro residency? How important are grades really? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to do well on your step 1 and 2 and on your clerkship. There isn't much you could do to fix your preclinical grades. Try to publish some papers in urology. Get to know the urology department at your school and hopefully you will get the best LOR that you can obtain.

However, given the competitivness of this field, i would suggest applying for a backup specialty when you apply for residency.

BV: Thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of doing all that you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get a single "A" during my preclinical years. About 2/3 "B's" and 1/3 "C's". I scored a 233 on step 1. Did some non-urology research with an abstract, possible paper pending (but not mentioned on application or interviews). I had a lot of leadership positions in medschool. I was working on a Uro case report than I mentioned on interviews. Honored Uro as a fourth year. All A's in third year except OB/Gyn and Neurology (B's).

~ 18 interview offers from 38 apps. went on 13 interviews. And, I matched!!!!!

Cytoskelement:

Thanks for the encouraging word. I'm gonna try to follow your lead and aim for a uro match down the road. I already have Masters work behind me and published with a General Surgeion this past Summer (Review Article). One more Review pending and a case study, as well. I'm planning to spend time with a UroSurgeon over spring break and try to get on board with a case study or something. Beyond that I'm hoping for a better showing during my 3rd and 4th year rotations.

How important is networking within Uro to find a good spot? And, if it is important what is the best way to go about it?

grades during ms1-ms2 don't count for much if at all, especially if you did well on step 1. by well i mean 230 and above. the topic of preclinical grades never came up on interviews for me, and mine were good. instead, my interviewers seemed more interest in my research interests, LORs, and board scores (in that order). try not to let your grades distract you from the real goal of ms1-ms2, which is to prepare you for the boards. do great on that and your grades will be a non-issue.

if you want to "network" hang out with the urology attendings and residents at your program. their support in the form of advice and LORs will be invaluable to your application.

I whole heartedly agree. The main thing you need to do is rock step 1 and get some research if you possibly can. Do some clinical research bitch work for a urologist at your school and get strong rec letters....

As for preclinical grades? Doesnt matter. It's either AOA or not AOA... If you;re in the "not AOA" category, you can still match somewhere with the stuff mentioned above and get started ASAP because it's an early match specialty.

Other than that, just be a cool person that is easy to get along with... It'll help a ton on the interview trail.