Improving post-bac application--adequate clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReInventor

Burnt toast?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with my BA in psychology this past month. I am trying to figure out if I need to do more work on my clinical experience or if I am doing okay for admission to the top programs (Bryn Mawr, Goucher...).

Clinical: 16 hrs shadowing (general peds and specialty peds), 48 hrs. hospital volunteering.
GPA: 3.96 (but no science!)
SAT: 2120 (790V, 600M, 730W). I plan to take the GRE to improve my math score.
Research experience: Fulbright finalist, 2.5 years in psychology lab as RA, 2 independent research projects including poster presentations at college, clinical research internship at major med center for 1 semester.

I will most likely be working as an RA on a psychiatry project at a major med center for 2 years (with patient contact and phlebotomy).

Is 48 hours of volunteering enough for these top programs? I'm comfortable with my research experience and grades (as long as I boost my math GRE), but I feel like my clinical hours don't compete with the 100+ numbers I've seen on this board--but presumably less is okay for postbac admission? I can do more if needed but if I can slow down a little bit during the next year or so while working 40/hrs a week, I wouldn't mind. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with my BA in psychology this past month. I am trying to figure out if I need to do more work on my clinical experience or if I am doing okay for admission to the top programs (Bryn Mawr, Goucher...).

Clinical: 16 hrs shadowing (general peds and specialty peds), 48 hrs. hospital volunteering.
GPA: 3.96 (but no science!)
SAT: 2120 (790V, 600M, 730W). I plan to take the GRE to improve my math score.
Research experience: Fulbright finalist, 2.5 years in psychology lab as RA, 2 independent research projects including poster presentations at college, clinical research internship at major med center for 1 semester.

I will most likely be working as an RA on a psychiatry project at a major med center for 2 years (with patient contact and phlebotomy).

Is 48 hours of volunteering enough for these top programs? I'm comfortable with my research experience and grades (as long as I boost my math GRE), but I feel like my clinical hours don't compete with the 100+ numbers I've seen on this board--but presumably less is okay for postbac admission? I can do more if needed but if I can slow down a little bit during the next year or so while working 40/hrs a week, I wouldn't mind. :)

Man I don't even think you need to take the GRE with that GPA. That said, you should be ok for admissions. Your ECs paint a clear picture (at least to me) as to why you're pursuing this path.