Improving undergrad gpa, retaking courses, postbaccs/masters programs, choosing schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engeneon

Reaction score
Context:
I am a premed who was put on academic probation, went through serious mental health issues and FLUNKED the last semester I was at my T10 undergrad school. F's all the way. My cumulative gpa is a 2.16 I am at a better place mentally and am about to apply for readmission for the upcoming fall semester. I hope to continue premed and eventually go on to medical school (a competitive tier school if I could).

Questions (some may seem stupid, but I want confirmation of my decisions):
1. When I return to school, I plan on retaking all of the courses that I had previously received an F in. Unfortunately, some were premed. Under the pretense that I do well, how would this look when applying to medical school and how would it be calculated into the BCPM GPA?

2. I am most likely going to have to continue education beyond undergrad into a masters or post bacc program. I want to be extra sure:
a. only a post bacc would add on to undergrad gpa and improve the undergrad gpa?
b. if I were to do a post bacc, would you recommend that I don't retake my prior F premed courses and do a
premed post bacc or is it more beneficial to do a grade-enhancing post bacc?
c. how does a masters program look on the application compared to a post bacc?
d. how does a master's program gpa add into the AMCAS calculated gpa or does AMCAS not even count
masters education courses?

3. Let's say that instead of a post bacc, I choose to do a master's program, when coming up with a school list, would you still decide based on undergrad gpa stats?

Any help and advice based would be more than helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

1. When I return to school, I plan on retaking all of the courses that I had previously received an F in. Unfortunately, some were premed. Under the pretense that I do well, how would this look when applying to medical school and how would it be calculated into the BCPM GPA?
All new grades will be calculated into your cGPA.
2. I am most likely going to have to continue education beyond undergrad into a masters or post bacc program. I want to be extra sure:
a. only a post bacc would add on to undergrad gpa and improve the undergrad gpa?
Your uGPA is over. You graduated. Your cGPA continues as long as you take classes.
There will be a line for post-baccalaureate GPA. That's what counts now.
Read this:
b. if I were to do a post bacc, would you recommend that I don't retake my prior F premed courses and do a
Retake all pre-recs that you got grades of C- or less, and anything that you'll be weak in for MCAT
Depends upon how you do in them. Do not take research MS courses.
d. how does a master's program gpa add into the AMCAS calculated gpa or does AMCAS not even count
Education courses? Like Teaches school courses? Why would you take that if you want to be a doctor??? How would that prepare you for medical school?????
3. Let's say that instead of a post bacc, I choose to do a master's program, when coming up with a school list, would you still decide based on undergrad gpa stats?
Nope. It's about the new you and how you did in the SMP or DIY post-bac.
Find out if you can retroactively withdraw from your poor grade courses. There are stickies here in SDN on how to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
All new grades will be calculated into your cGPA.

Your uGPA is over. You graduated. Your cGPA continues as long as you take classes.
There will be a line for post-baccalaureate GPA. That's what counts now.
Read this:

Retake all pre-recs that you got grades of C- or less, and anything that you'll be weak in for MCAT

Depends upon how you do in them. Do not take research MS courses.

Education courses? Like Teaches school courses? Why would you take that if you want to be a doctor??? How would that prepare you for medical school?????

Nope. It's about the new you and how you did in the SMP or DIY post-bac.
Find out if you can retroactively withdraw from your poor grade courses. There are stickies here in SDN on how to do this.
I just wanted to clarify that masters education courses did not mean education courses but rather courses taken during the courses of the masters program. sorry for the wording.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to find a postbacc that has some sort of linkage. Apply mostly DO and IS MD schools

Reactions: 1 user
It's way too early to figure out a school list until you consider your options for an SMP. With that many F's and your low GPA, do whatever you can to get into a SMP with a linkage to your favorite school. You're in no position to be picky right now for a "competitive tier school". Focus on your plan to build your scientific foundation, your clinical experience, your community service, and a strong application with a great MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
Context:
I am a premed who was put on academic probation, went through serious mental health issues and FLUNKED the last semester I was at my T10 undergrad school. F's all the way. My cumulative gpa is a 2.16 I am at a better place mentally and am about to apply for readmission for the upcoming fall semester. I hope to continue premed and eventually go on to medical school (a competitive tier school if I could).

Questions (some may seem stupid, but I want confirmation of my decisions):

Any help and advice based would be more than helpful!
1.Goro's advice above is sound. I think retroactive withdrawal is the way to go.
a. AMCAS divides GPA into undergrad and grad. Post-bacc absolutely counts as undergrad.
b. Do a pre-med post-bacc if you don't have the pre-reqs done already. If you took them before and did badly, then I would a. Re-evaluate what went wrong the first time and make a plan to fix the issue(s) b. Take them again if you feel like you can get As (you really should be aiming for all As, even though a B here or there won't hurt you). Don't re-take "fluff" classes like underwater basket weaving if, by chance, you flunked that too, and just want to inflate your grade point average--adcoms don't like to see this. Adcoms like to see applicants performing well by making good grades in challenging classes.
c. There are a ton of threads about SMPs vs. post-baccs on this forum, and it would behoove you to do some searching. In your case, I think I would advise a SMP (if you already have the pre-reqs completed) after speaking with officials at said program to determine your chances (as was said above, a SMP with linkage would be great). Master's vs. post-bacc is impossible to det. without context. Post-baccs tend to be better if you have some catching up to do, like you haven't done the pre-reqs yet, and SMPs are better for grade repair and those who took the pre-reqs/majored in science. In any case, you will have a tough road ahead of you either way you go, so be sure to contact your state schools/nearby med schools to see what they think about your application plan first.
d. AMCAS is the central application system, and it's up to individual med schools how to view your grad GPA vs. your undergrad GPA. As far as screening, AMCAS only counts undergrad GPA. So don't plan to average the two GPAs together, or something. That's not how it works.

3. Yes. Your undergrad GPA will follow you wherever you go. As I said above, I think a SMP would be the best option for you since you already graduated. A great performance in a SMP, especially one in which you are competing directly against med students, can show med schools that you can handle the material. However this is much easier said than done (even the med student with the lowest score in med school probably got As in undergrad), so you can do the math.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
How many hours do you have towards your BA/BS? You said you have a 2.16 GPA so far. You currently probably couldn’t get into a SMP . Maybe you should finish your bachelors doing the very best you can (all As) and then do a DIY post bacc where you retake all of the courses you got a C- or lower in. At that point you will be trying to start to convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. You will also probably need a SMP too. And even if you are successful reinventing yourself there are no guarantees you will be accepted to a med school.
“I hope to continue premed and eventually go on to medical school (a competitive tier school if I could”. Get this out of your mind. At this point ( well actually any point for any applicant ) you should be working to get into medical,school, any medical school. Good luck as you move forward. Let us know how things are going. I think we all love a great success story.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If your goal is to become a cardiothoraccic pediatric onconeurosurgeon at a T20 school, then with a 2.16 that dream is over.

However, if your goal is to become a physician, MD or DO, then it's very much still possible, although it will cost a lot of time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I saw this thread and I related greatly to it so I thought I would offer you some words of encouragement and share my story with you.
I partied all throughout my first two years of undergrad and never took pre-med seriously. I had a 2.5 GPA at the time with an even worse science GPA. I had some conversations and self-reflection (which I assume you're also having by making this post) going into my junior year and decided to give my all to the pursuit of becoming a physician. Similar boat as you, not knowing if it was even worth trying or how to make myself as competitive as possible. My advice is to just GRIND. When I say that, I mean you'll have to dedicate every part of you to the process. I took 19-21 credits 4 semesters straight. Took 12 credits over summer and winter terms, mostly science course to help boost my sGPA. Founded a service org, did intense neuroscience research, was noticed my senior year by professors and became an ambassador for the college of arts and science etc. I did a post-bacc research program at the NIH since i've graduated (2020). I graduated with 3.4 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA... not spectacular by any means.... but this cycle I have been accepted to 6 M.D. schools and 1 D.O. school.

I say this to you because you can most certainly do it. Med schools will see the work you put in if you dedicate yourself to it and it shows in terms of stats, community, and self. There are ways to obtain that resume you need to eventually become a competitive applicant... get back to it this fall and dedicate yourself to getting better day by day and eventually a day will come where you get that call that you're accepted to med school. Good luck and please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Many/most of the postbac programs with linkage won't let you retake premed classes you already took.