Improving Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The highest I get is 7. :( :( :( So I keep reading about verbal and how to improve. I wanted to ask you all what exactly are common mistakes? Mostly everybody's advice is to review questions and figure out the types of questions you tend to miss often. However, it seems like most of the time I miss information or have a different main idea in my head that leads me to extrapolate information in the incorrect way. Any other advice please!?

Members don't see this ad.

One piece of advice I have when approaching questions in VR is to approach them as if the passage associated with them is your only knowledge base. Often they'll ask you a question that can be easily misinterpreted if you allow some outside knowledge to influence your answer.

What materials are you using to practice verbal?

One piece of advice I have when approaching questions in VR is to approach them as if the passage associated with them is your only knowledge base. Often they'll ask you a question that can be easily misinterpreted if you allow some outside knowledge to influence your answer.

What materials are you using to practice verbal?

That's actually great advice but I caught on to that. Actually I still tend to make that mistake sometimes. I understand that people try to use rational logic outside of the passage while I should be thinking as I were either one of passage's subjects or the author him or herself.

I am using EK and EK 101. About a little less than half way through. Also AAMC practice obviously.

Any other tips!? Please, I'm sure this will help many people

That's actually great advice but I caught on to that. Actually I still tend to make that mistake sometimes. I understand that people try to use rational logic outside of the passage while I should be thinking as I were either one of passage's subjects or the author him or herself.

I am using EK and EK 101. About a little less than half way through. Also AAMC practice obviously.

Any other tips!? Please, I'm sure this will help many people

One thing I'll add too is that I did VR practice passages first with TPRH and then the EK 101 book. In EK101 my test scores were always around 10 (got an 11 once, a couple 9s, and an 8). I'm pleased with how it's prepared me because so far I've taken AAMC 3 and AAMC 4 and scored an 11 and a 12. So I guess keep in mind that EK101 is a bit more difficult than AAMC (at least in my opinion).

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I'll add too is that I did VR practice passages first with TPRH and then the EK 101 book. In EK101 my test scores were always around 10 (got an 11 once, a couple 9s, and an 8). I'm pleased with how it's prepared me because so far I've taken AAMC 3 and AAMC 4 and scored an 11 and a 12. So I guess keep in mind that EK101 is a bit more difficult than AAMC (at least in my opinion).

Okay thanks! Any other Verbal advice that people have, especially in regards to common mistakes?

Practice is the best way to determine common mistakes, because what is common for someone may be obviously wrong to another.

For example, some people might mess up "which would weaken the least" or "strengthen the least" by always picking the opposite answer. If that's you, you should construct a system to make sure you know what you're looking for.

Other people might mess up questions regarding the main idea or tone, so they need to practice more in that area.

Why don't you look at your mistakes from the last ~40 questions from verbal and see what kinds of questions you're getting wrong.