Improving your application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

For those who were rejected the first round and then accepted the second round, what can you tell us that you did differently to make you appear as a better candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

As everyone's situation is different, we probably need more information in order to help you improve your application.

What are your overall and BCPM GPAs? What is your MCAT score? What extracurricular activities did you do? What schools are you applying/did apply to?

As everyone's situation is different, we probably need more information in order to help you improve your application.

What are your overall and BCPM GPAs? What is your MCAT score? What extracurricular activities did you do? What schools are you applying/did apply to?

Actually I have never applied yet. I was just trying to do it right the first time and avoid reapplying.:D I'm actually a fairly average applicant and want to know if I'm any place near ready. I haven't even taken the MCAT yet. :scared: Overall GPA is around a 3.6, but have several pre-reqs to add in there so BCPM is rather insignificant right now, plus I'm going to retake a course before applying. ECs basically include clinical volunteering and shadowing, volunteered as research assitant but no publications and not typical research, nothing spectacular. Any thoughts how to improve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds pretty good. Just make sure to keep that GPA high (try to push it a little higher to make you more competitive) and study your @$$ off for the MCAT. Just keep doing volunteering and clinical experience, and you should be set. Good luck!

Sounds pretty good. Just make sure to keep that GPA high (try to push it a little higher to make you more competitive) and study your @$$ off for the MCAT. Just keep doing volunteering and clinical experience, and you should be set. Good luck!

ummm chad...you seem like a nice guy and all but how can you offer advice if you haven't even applied yet? Not trying to be rude, just wondering...

If you posted some of your current stats/experience you'd probably get a better response on a question like this.

Might I suggest www.puhcok.com? :)

ummm chad...you seem like a nice guy and all but how can you offer advice if you haven't even applied yet? Not trying to be rude, just wondering...

Well it's not like he offered in-depth analysis. He said what we all know from the MSAR and Med School Acceptance 101. I didn't find anything wrong with what he said.

Just because I haven't applied doesn't mean that I don't know anything about applying. I like to research something before I do it, rather than fly by the seat of my pants. I'm not claiming to be an adcom or an application guru - I was just trying to help the OP out.

Just because I haven't applied doesn't mean that I don't know anything about applying. I like to research something before I do it, rather than fly by the seat of my pants. I'm not claiming to be an adcom or an application guru - I was just trying to help the OP out.

Alright that's cool. I was just wondering...not trying to be offensive.

OP - apply early! The most crucial thing you can do is apply early. I took the August mcat, and although I have received a considerable number of interviews, I feel that I got screwed over because of my late application.

OP - apply early! The most crucial thing you can do is apply early. I took the August mcat, and although I have received a considerable number of interviews, I feel that I got screwed over because of my late application.

that's going to be a MAJOR problem for me since I need to retake a pre-req over the summer and then part 2 of the course (for the first time); i won't be done with them until mid August :( This wasn't my plan but things happen and you got to roll with the punches :( So now do you have any other ideas to help me out?

that's going to be a MAJOR problem for me since I need to retake a pre-req over the summer and then part 2 of the course (for the first time); i won't be done with them until mid August :( This wasn't my plan but things happen and you got to roll with the punches :( So now do you have any other ideas to help me out?

Most schools request you fill out a little pre-req grid on your secondary, and you can list future coursework on your AMCAS application.

But bigger problem is... why would you take the MCAT before you finished those pre-reqs.... That will hold up your application.
And why do you need to retake that class? Did you fail it the first time? This could drag down your BCPM GPA quite a bit

Most schools request you fill out a little pre-req grid on your secondary, and you can list future coursework on; your AMCAS application.

But bigger problem is... why would you take the MCAT before you finished those pre-reqs.... That will hold up your application.
And why do you need to retake that class? Did you fail it the first time? This could drag down your BCPM GPA quite a bit

Yes, very sad story for me. Orgo 1, I got a D+. :thumbdown: Of course it drastically effects my BCPM; it was a 3.9, now it's dead. I'm still taking pre-reqs and NEED to get As in every one of them. I was not planning on this horrible grade and it's killing me right now. It's not like I didn't work really hard; I worked harder at this than all my other classes put together. I'm very fortunate that I still miraculously managed As in my other 4 classes last semester because I neglected them to concentrate on orgo.

I probably wasn't going to take the MCAT until early August. So obviously I have major issues to deal with and I don't think my app can go in any time early. :(

Good luck with Organic again! I have SO many friends that failed/did poorly/withdrew from the first semester that they changed majors and altered their career paths, so you're definitely not alone in this boat. My two best friends wanted to be an optometrist and a neurosurgeon. After doing poorly last semester they vowed never to touch Organic again, and are now planning on becoming a nurse and a snowboard instructor (seriously). So props to you for giving it another go!

Hey Dr. Josh. I was kind of in the same boat as you. I got a C- in Orgo I and had to retake. Just make sure you get an A when you retake and equally if not more important, get an A in orgo II as well. If that goes well don't sweat the poor grade at all. And dont be scared of orgo..just remember that electrons like positive charges!

If I understood you correctly, you're taking the MCAT after finishing orgo 1 and 2 so that means you're taking it sometime in August? If that's the case, you should still get your primary app in earlier..dont wait till after the classes and after the mcat, because there will always be something to delay you. And definitely arrange for your letters of rec ASAP if you haven't done so already because that can be a huge nightmare..some professors will forget they said they'd write you one and some will go off on sabatical and some are just plain lazy..you get the picture...

Anyways you sound like you are on the right track. Study your butt off for the MCAT, pump out a meaningful PS and keep up the EC's and volunteering. And if you haven't yet, do some non-medical/non-science related volunteering that you can honestly enjoy and get something out of..Good luck!

Good luck with Organic again! I have SO many friends that failed/did poorly/withdrew from the first semester that they changed majors and altered their career paths, so you're definitely not alone in this boat. My two best friends wanted to be an optometrist and a neurosurgeon. After doing poorly last semester they vowed never to touch Organic again, and are now planning on becoming a nurse and a snowboard instructor (seriously). So props to you for giving it another go!

Thanks! The thing is I was convinced I could do it. I went into the class looking forward to it and in the beginning I actually loved it. Then I got a C on the first test due to really stupid mistakes; the second test i did better and everyone else did worse. It was all downhill from there. I'm not blaming my professor although he totally sucked at teaching, was unapproachable and should have retired 15 years ago. I'm looking to take it at a different school with a well rated professor, but I'm still nervous now after my first experience.

Hey Dr. Josh. I was kind of in the same boat as you. I got a C- in Orgo I and had to retake. Just make sure you get an A when you retake and equally if not more important, get an A in orgo II as well. If that goes well don't sweat the poor grade at all. And dont be scared of orgo..just remember that electrons like positive charges!

If I understood you correctly, you're taking the MCAT after finishing orgo 1 and 2 so that means you're taking it sometime in August? If that's the case, you should still get your primary app in earlier..dont wait till after the classes and after the mcat, because there will always be something to delay you. And definitely arrange for your letters of rec ASAP if you haven't done so already because that can be a huge nightmare..some professors will forget they said they'd write you one and some will go off on sabatical and some are just plain lazy..you get the picture...

Anyways you sound like you are on the right track. Study your butt off for the MCAT, pump out a meaningful PS and keep up the EC's and volunteering. And if you haven't yet, do some non-medical/non-science related volunteering that you can honestly enjoy and get something out of..Good luck!

Thanks for your input. I know i need the As this time around. I also know I'm in way over my head. What I have going on this summer is nuts. One week after I graduate I start summer school with two summer sessions of orgo and lab. At the same time I have to study for (yes I have the books and just started studying but barely as I need straight As this semester to redeem myself after my D+) for the MCAT, fill out my applications and continue with volunteer work, shadowing and I'm actually working on a personal project that i'm hoping to submit or at least mention on my application (but that's not why I started it). Forget about earning any money or a social life because there's clearly no time for that.

I plan to take the MCAT probably just before finishing orgo 2 because right after that I am going away for a volunteer project. I was hoping to write about that on my AMCAS but it seems apparent that I can't wait that long to do my PS although I have absolutely nothing worthwhile to write about right now (therefore, how meaningful can it be?:thumbdown: ). I suppose I can use that experience and write about it in my secondaries if i ever get any secondaries:scared: but seriously I have nothing interesting to write about on my PS. That's going to hurt bigtime.

As far as LOR believe it or not I need to ask my science prof that I have now (for 2 courses) and if I need a second one I have to ask my summer orgo prof. :thumbdown: I was always in huge lecture halls and didn't get to know the profs in the few science courses I took. Also many were done abroad and I can't get those. I can get LORs from non-science prof and a doctor I've worked with. I also hope to work with others or thru volunteer services and get those letters of reference.

Non-science/non-medical volunteering???:laugh: when? I decided on med school so late and wasted so much time; not sure how i can fix it now.:scared: The clock is ticking....

I can use all the help anyone can offer. Thanks!