IMRT rectal cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUBuffsgrad98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing IMRT for rectal cancer? Or still just 3D standard 3 field? Saw a multiinstitutional paper published recently with IMRT having significantly less toxicity than 3D, but not sure if it has crept into the community yet?

Members don't see this ad.

pretty universally adopted on East Coast, as I far as I can see

NCCN says: IMRT should only be used in teh setting of a clinical trial or in unique clinical situations including reirradiation of recurrent disease after previous radiotherapy.

In this situation it is a 73 year old guy with T4 disease (thus external iliacs covered), seems like IMRT will spare him a lot of potential toxicity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually try to when a fair amount of small bowel is within the pelvic field, but I've had a very tough time getting it routinely approved by payors.

Low-lying rectal cancer/T4 definitely necessitates IMRT in my view (unless you are still treating anal cancer AP/PA!) since you have to cover inguinal/external iliac LNs. Anecdotally, I have noticed significantly improved GI toxicity with IMRT > 3D when you push the OAR limits on potential small bowel. I agree that it is a crapshoot getting it approved through payors although I learned that it is accepted as standard by Anthem (at least in my neck of the woods).

If I really need IMRT and the payor is still resistant, I sometimes send over IMRT/3DCRT comparison with the relevant dosimetric objectives highlighted. This still doesn't always work and it eats up precious time that you could be treating instead.

Last edited:
Low-lying rectal cancer/T4 definitely necessitates IMRT in my view (unless you are still treating anal cancer AP/PA!) since you have to cover inguinal/external iliac LNs. Anecdotally, I have noticed significantly improved GI toxicity with IMRT > 3D when you push the OAR limits on potential small bowel. I agree that it is a crapshoot getting it approved through payors although I learned that it is accepted as standard by Anthem (at least in my neck of the woods).

If I really need IMRT and the payor is still resistant, I sometimes send over IMRT/3DCRT comparison with the relevant dosimetric objectives highlighted. This still doesn't always work and it eats up precious time that you could be treating instead.

Completely agree with low-lying. When I need to cover inguinal nodes I exclusively use IMRT and actually haven't had much trouble getting it approved...once I'm able to talk to someone who understands radiation.