IMU Australia .....Plz help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uprem Legershy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I seriously need help here.I applied to IMU Malaysia, went for the interview, got selected.

I would like to choose an Australian PMS after the 2.5 years,but reading some of the posts on this forum it seems that its tough to get a job after graduating from an Australian PMS(through IMU). Also heard that, chances are that i will be sent to my home country for internship.

What i would like to know is that, if i have to come to ma home country for internship, do i have to do the AMC exam to get a job in Aussi, although i have an Australian degree(IMU Austalia)?

For me the whole IMU PMS process seems daunting! :scared:

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

a guy from my church cell group in brisbane was from IMU and did his remaining studies at UQ medical school. he graduated last yr...

but i think u shld call up IMU or ask the respective faculties about it

Members don't see this ad :)
theunraveler said:
a guy from my church cell group in brisbane was from IMU and did his remaining studies at UQ medical school. he graduated last yr...

but i think u shld call up IMU or ask the respective faculties about it

So what is that guy doing now?

I'm also heading UQ in 2 yrs time as i already have a first degree.

Uprem Legershy said:
Hey,

I seriously need help here.I applied to IMU Malaysia, went for the interview, got selected.

I would like to choose an Australian PMS after the 2.5 years,but reading some of the posts on this forum it seems that its tough to get a job after graduating from an Australian PMS(through IMU). Also heard that, chances are that i will be sent to my home country for internship.

What i would like to know is that, if i have to come to ma home country for internship, do i have to do the AMC exam to get a job in Aussi, although i have an Australian degree(IMU Austalia)?

For me the whole IMU PMS process seems daunting! :scared:

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Thank you! :)

Mind sharing where you got the information in this forum?

From what i know, many of the IMU PMS grads did not go back to their homes to work. Especially the Malaysian Chinese, many go out & not come home. But if your IMU grades are not good enuf, then that's a different story altogether. Point is those from IMU have to work harder to stay competitive.

wat sorta IMU grades id needed to go overseas for clinical? And how hard is it to achieve them?

kickbutt said:
So what is that guy doing now?

I'm also heading UQ in 2 yrs time as i already have a first degree.
he went back to KL, so i guess he is doing internship there.

tkdwhiz1188 said:
wat sorta IMU grades id needed to go overseas for clinical? And how hard is it to achieve them?

U would need to maintain average of at least 75% to stay competitive. This includes not only ur MCQs & written tests, but also the OSPEs & OSCEs.

Unlike some med schools, there are no past year exam papers in IMU. IMU does not believe in sharing past year papers & according to some of my seniors, exam questions hardly repeat. Basically they want the students to know everything.

There is one way to achieve this kind of "know everything" standard - take the USMLE Step 1 as a guide. I've started using this scheme to help me with the course of learning & I plan to take the real test at some point in time, not for the purpose of going to the US. Its more for self-validation to remain competitive.

oh thanx everybody for postin in.Well im not in IMU yet.... got an offer for the feb 2006 intake but i deferred it to August 2006 ....so i got no IMU grades. i still have the IMU offer open ....(ive applied to other unis also).......

How safe is an Australian uni as a PMS ...in terms of internship and jobs ....cos im hearing different things.(im not a Malaysian)

nemore info wud be helpful.
Thanx in advance! :)

Wat sorta grades got u into IMU? I hear is really tough to get in...

tkdwhiz1188 said:
Wat sorta grades got u into IMU? I hear is really tough to get in...

well it depends on the competition..... i hav 4 A's......but i know 3 who got in with 3 B's this time....i also thought selection wud be very tough, but dint turn out to be!
Hope it helps

Every year there would be some IMU students who go on to study the last 2 years of MD at Jefferson in the US after having completed the pre-clinical portion of the MBBS. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard tt jefferson only has 1 place for IMU students every yr...so its hell competitive

hmmm as some1 who has gone thru IMU pre clincal heres what i have to add:

jefferson has 3 places. its not competitive.. out of my year only 4 wanted to go to jefferson. no one wants to do usmle... its tough and you have to prepare for it yourself. IMUs curriculum and timetable doesnt cater for usmle preparation at all.
all you have is the few usmle first aid books in the library and to prepare in time those from the 2nd intake have to study for the usmle and sem 5 finals at the same time. the good thing bout going to jefferson is the cheaper cost and some would say the american education although imho a medical degree is a medical degree is a medical degree no matter how you cut it. what matters most is how u practice rather than what uni name is on your degree. ;)

about internships.. that depends heavily on whatever is the current policy of the government and medical association of the country. in 5 yrs who knows what that will be.

I'd like to try...but if i'm offered sth else b4 that then diff story la. In the event tt i do get in...we'll b classmates!

tkdwhiz1188 said:
I'd like to try...but if i'm offered sth else b4 that then diff story la. In the event tt i do get in...we'll b classmates!
so how now? got offer or not? u like very the desperate to go medicine, have u considered other options like vet? dentistry? bachelor of science -> GMP or bachelor of science then transfer to medicine as undergrad

tkdwhiz1188 said:

Oh heh! Prolly we may become classmates :) ..

Well ma situation is kinda similar,i have applied to other unis as well, im seein ma chances in those unis too....so not totally decided on IMU as of now. ;)

so how now? got offer or not? u like very the desperate to go medicine, have u considered other options like vet? dentistry? bachelor of science -> GMP or bachelor of science then transfer to medicine as undergrad

Yes...i've been offered a place in monash m'sia.

Oh heh! Prolly we may become classmates ..

aww...looks like cannot for now. hope to meet u one day tho! r u keen on monash m'sia?

tkdwhiz1188 said:
Yes...i've been offered a place in monash m'sia.

aww...looks like cannot for now. hope to meet u one day tho! r u keen on monash m'sia?

Congrats! :) on ur offer from Monash m'sia.Thats Fantastic!!! :)

What were u grades in A levels,if u dont mind?

I was thinking of Monash ...but i dint apply.I know its really good..hope u have a great time over there! ;)

Im trying unis in India and i wanna keep ma options opened... r u trying ny other unis? :)

thanks!

I did the TEE in perth...got a TER of 97.35... U've got 4A's rite? Should hav no prob getting into most oz unis next yr! Why consider indian unis so early? Not that they're no gd (I've great respect for them), but they are not yet that recognised in s'pore. And they will b the cultural shock factor to deal wif...

Nope...i'm not trying other unis...my course starts on 27th feb...was given 5 days to accept the offer.

tkdwhiz1188 said:
thanks!

I did the TEE in perth...got a TER of 97.35... U've got 4A's rite? Should hav no prob getting into most oz unis next yr! Why consider indian unis so early? Not that they're no gd (I've great respect for them), but they are not yet that recognised in s'pore. And they will b the cultural shock factor to deal wif...

Nope...i'm not trying other unis...my course starts on 27th feb...was given 5 days to accept the offer.

Oh thats great!...Well...ma parents want me to go to a closer place for now at least.Im from Sri Lanka....the unis ive applied to in india r recognised by the Sri Lankan med council.Nywy ..yup i was seein into Oz unis...but now its too late i ges n im already in a gap year so cant afford to take another..hehe....if i go to IMU then i may go to an Oz uni from there.

Thanx for ur suggestions...nywy do u know ny Oz unis startin in August or September,n their closing dates r still opened?What about Canadian unis...do u think it will be a good choice...

Thanx alot....btw 97.35 is fantastic!U must be a brain box!
Oh u were given only 5 days......IMU, we extended it many days from the deadline,then in the end deferred it!

Thanx alot!

Oh thats great!...Well...ma parents want me to go to a closer place for now at least.Im from Sri Lanka....the unis ive applied to in india r recognised by the Sri Lankan med council.Nywy ..yup i was seein into Oz unis...but now its too late i ges n im already in a gap year so cant afford to take another..hehe....if i go to IMU then i may go to an Oz uni from there.

Thanx for ur suggestions...nywy do u know ny Oz unis startin in August or September,n their closing dates r still opened?What about Canadian unis...do u think it will be a good choice...

Thanx alot....btw 97.35 is fantastic!U must be a brain box!
Oh u were given only 5 days......IMU, we extended it many days from the deadline,then in the end deferred it!

Thanx alot!

Uprem, are you in my class? lol. M206?