iMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oyyoyy84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:cool: :cool: hi there, I am from IMU also but doing local programme m2 o4.. need any advice for phase 1? i hope we can help eash other out...I wish to go overseas after i complete my mBBS here

Members don't see this ad.

:cool: :cool: hi there, I am from IMU also but doing local programme m2 o4.. need any advice for phase 1? i hope we can help eash other out...I wish to go overseas after i complete my mBBS here

Hmm...what batch are you from?

Hello!

From Singapore, am interested to go there to take up Med then transfer to PMS. Do you know the exact cutoff? Are there a fair number of Singaporeans there too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm yeah, out of all the International students here, more than half are Singaporeans. Seems like a growing trend -- every batch more and more students come from Singapore..lol.

not surprising really... hahaha... with only two medical school with max. 300 for undergraduate entry. 50 for graduate entry....

Hm, you know whats funny though is you all live 4 hours away from us and have to pay international rates when you come here. lol. Howdy neighbor.

:cool:

Hi there. Try to avoid abbreviations when asking for general help but more importantly, be a bit more elaborate when asking a question.

I am assuming IMU is the International Medical University but are you asking a question about Australian Medical schools or?????

got another question...

Is there any sort of certification or international quality class that would assure students (actually more the parents) about the stability of the school in Malaysia? And does IMU have it? Cos i've heard of stories like that of Perak Medical College students having to transfer to Penang Medical College and having to do an extra year because their school closed down or something like that. Really scary to be put in such a situation...

Undecide: I don't know enough about the other schools so I cannot comment on their management practice; however, I can tell you that the management of IMU has its reputation to uphold; and they've done so very well as evident by their expanding linkage programs. As you are well aware IMU is linked to many great medical medical schools around the world including Edinburgh, Jefferson, Univ of Melbourne, and Sydney -- if IMU wasn't up to their standards there would be no question that they would have pulled out of the program a long time ago. Every year the partner medical schools send out their respective deans to evaulate the IMU curriculum to make sure these standards remain.

IMU is expanding fast. The new million dollar building should be complete soon and they will also also be introducing a Dental course with linkages to international schools this year.

Perhaps a visit to the school will rest your qualms? Open day is in a few days, and it would be a good time for you to visit.

O yea, also wanted to know the usual cutoff for the M01 intake?

Also, int students need not take Bahasa Melayu and Moral studies right?

O yea, also wanted to know the usual cutoff for the M01 intake?

Also, int students need not take Bahasa Melayu and Moral studies right?

The course is Medicine, so uhm for lack of better words, competitive?

If you are an international student, you do not have to take those classes, but it would be helpful to know a little bit of Bahasa Malay. When you go outstation to do your clinicals you'll be seeing patients that do not know a word of english.

Don't know if you'll be reading this, but anyways, was just wondering if IMU students would be able to intercalate a BSc/BA (Psych) into their MBBS/MD if they wanted to after phase 1.

Don't know if you'll be reading this, but anyways, was just wondering if IMU students would be able to intercalate a BSc/BA (Psych) into their MBBS/MD if they wanted to after phase 1.

The BSc degree is a one year research program you do after you've completed your pre-clinical years. Some of the partner universities require that you have the BSc degree before your join them (Univ. of Queensland, Univ. of Sydney, etc). Some students opt this route because you eliminate a year off during your clinical years -- 2 years instead of 3 at the more expensive foreign university.

IMU doesn't offer BA degrees. There is a behavioral science department but that will be taught with the rest of the medical curriculum.

You could consider completing another course first before deciding if you want to do medicine. I finished up my University in the US with a degree in Neuroscience before returning back to Malaysia and have now completed my first year at IMU.

Hi guys,

I've been looking around for a med school in Asia and come across this IMU MBBS course. I was just wondering if I could get some advice/info. on a few things (I've sent an email to admissions office as well but no reply yet.)

I'm in my last year of a bachelor degree in Australia but my GPA is not too impressive. So I was wondering what sort of GPA may be required for the Feb/Aug intake. Also, would someone with a background of secondary and tertiary education in English medium need to take IELTS or any other form of tests for entry? Lastly, is there an age limit and are there any mature age (28+) students in the course?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info. :)

Hi guys,

I've been looking around for a med school in Asia and come across this IMU MBBS course. I was just wondering if I could get some advice/info. on a few things (I've sent an email to admissions office as well but no reply yet.)
Thanks in advance for any advice/info. :)

What exactly would you like to know? :) IMU is split into two phases -- the first is spent on the Bukit Jalil/Kuala Lumpur campus and you'll be there for 2 1/2 years. The second phase is either spent at your respective partner medical school or in Seremban Hospital. If you have a previous degree you might be able to shave off a year of study depending on where you match to.

The GPA is wide-band -- we have some students who are straight A's and some others that didn't do so well but are still in the medicine program. Regardless, IMU likes to filter out students, so if you don't make the cut they either make you resit a semester/year or they'll kick you out. Not to scare you or anything, but my batch was experimental (they changed the whole system for my year) and made the exams extremely difficult -- we only had one A in the class whereas in previous batches 80 % of the students were scoring an A. I guess there was a trade-off by lowering the passing grade -- they have made it incredibly difficult to score high.

There are older students (I'm one of them; 25 yrs old) but there are older students -- I believe a Canadian in his 30's recently joined us :) Your peers will just be finishing off highschool/pre-college so they will be 19, unless they are from Singapore, most of them are 21 because of their mandatory military service.

You will need to take the IELTS, or TOEFL as an international student. All students will also have to take a mandatory english exam when you come here.

Take note, if you hold a greencard or passport from the country of a partner medical school you will not be able to match with them -- this is too discourage students from using IMU as a backdoor.

Otherwise the program is pretty much independent learning with lectures and labs thrown in here and there and heavily PBL emphasized. You will learn clinical skills from your first semester and will be rotating in hospitals by your second.