In 10yrs will residencies..........

Started by TheOx777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheOx777

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be the rule and not the exception. Obviously no one has a crystal ball nor do we know how the health care landscape will look in 2020/2021, but it is interesting to think that residencies would possibly be a requirement.

For practicing PTs who have done a residency and/or fellowship do you truly believe that it advanced your practice skills and prep for Boards(i.e. OCS, NCS). Also, did/does completing a residency make you look more attractive to employers or augment one's starting salary because of the expertise you gained through the extra training. I know that Pharmacy and Dentistry are moving in a direction where more ppl are considering a residency to make themselves more attractive. I also know that Podiatry has made their residency requirements mandatory, so it now takes as long to become a DPM as it does a MD/DO. Just wondering. Thought?
 
I have talked to a lot of PT's/professors about this topic... basically what I have been hearing is when the the switch to the DPT was made a lot of people argued it would be better to keep it a MPT and start to require residencies. When I thought about it, it makes a lot of sense but who loses out in that deal is the Universities (BIG $$$). So with that said I think until PT scope expands a residency won't be MANDATORY but I believe it will start to become more of the norm, especially OCS, SCS to improve marketability. But as you said... no crystal ball.
 
As the science/research goes, so does our profession. This is why I kind of wish that the DPT was a research and clinical doctorate. It may add 1-3 years depending on course of study, but the more that Physical Therapy is based in hard science/research then it would seem that more doors might be opened. Like you said, scope of practice is one thing that will probably limit or augment if a residency will be required in the future. I am just trying to imagine what else would lie in a PTs scope of practice beyond imaging and pharmacology prescription.