In a bit of a mess please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonicaint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so here's my situation:
I'm a rising senior and I just submitted my application to medical school: here are my complications: I don't have a green card, which means I'm a international student, but I've lived in the US for a very long time and my green card is actually pending right now. Anyway, because I need aid to attend medical school right now, I only applied to some of the top tier ones - harvard, yale, duke, vanderbilt, mayo, and lerner in ohio, in addition to IU (they dont take internationals, but I've lived in indiana for a long time and my mom works and pays taxes here. My credentials: 3.7 gpa, 33 MCAT. I just submitted my AMCAS application - apparently you arent supposed to look at your app after submitting - I did, and I'm paying the price - even though I proofread my app 1000 times, somehow I missed an entire word and have a blatant typo... basically I missed one word - the word "to"... otherwise the entire app is perfect... do you guys think I'm screwed for this year, or should I press on? the personal statement was supposed to push me through, but out of my carelessness I managed to screw it up with a typo. Would I be better off just waiting a year, seeing that my green card will get here soon, hopefully? What should I do? If I do keep with it this year, should I just give up on the top tier schools, maybe still apply to IU? Please help, everybody, I owe you one............

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a rising senior and I just submitted my application to medical school: here are my complications: I don't have a green card, which means I'm a international student, but I've lived in the US for a very long time and my green card is actually pending right now. Anyway, because I need aid to attend medical school right now, I only applied to some of the top tier ones - harvard, yale, duke, vanderbilt, mayo, and lerner in ohio, in addition to IU (they dont take internationals, but I've lived in indiana for a long time and my mom works and pays taxes here. My credentials: 3.7 gpa, 33 MCAT. I just submitted my AMCAS application - apparently you arent supposed to look at your app after submitting - I did, and I'm paying the price - even though I proofread my app 1000 times, somehow I missed an entire word and have a blatant typo... basically I missed one word - the word "to"... otherwise the entire app is perfect... do you guys think I'm screwed for this year, or should I press on? the personal statement was supposed to push me through, but out of my carelessness I managed to screw it up with a typo. Would I be better off just waiting a year, seeing that my green card will get here soon, hopefully? What should I do? If I do keep with it this year, should I just give up on the top tier schools, maybe still apply to IU? Please help, everybody, I owe you one............

I call illegal alien troll.

p.s. If you're not a troll you probably didn't have a great chance at those schools anyway, with those stats.

p.p.s. Did your enter key break?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm really sorry to hear that...but to be honest, after seeing that typo, the adcoms are probably going to throw your application into the trash. The fact of the matter is, typos suggest carelessness. Today, it's just one word on an application. Tomorrow, it's a missed symptom, which could mean life or death. Frankly, they shouldn't accept you, because obviously, your blatant recklessness suggests terrible physician material.

Best of luck!

I'm really sorry to hear that...but to be honest, after seeing that typo, the adcoms are probably going to throw your application into the trash. The fact of the matter is, typos suggest carelessness. Today, it's just one word on an application. Tomorrow, it's a missed symptom, which could mean life or death. Frankly, they shouldn't accept you, because obviously, your blatant recklessness suggests terrible physician material.

Best of luck!

Pretty sure they're going to sue him for pre-medical malpractice.

Pretty sure they're going to sue him for pre-medical malpractice.

You heard what happened to that pre-med in Wisconsin (similar situation), right? Oh, no, you probably didn't. The media tried to keep it hush-hush. Last I heard, he was blacklisted from every US medical school (plus Caribbean) and AAMC arranged a hit on him. Too much of a liability.