In a LOI, should you explicitly state which schools you would withdraw from, if accepted?

Started by kb1900
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kb1900

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only applied to schools in a small geographic radius around manhattan + my state schools. I am fortunate to have several acceptances but was waitlisted at both my top choices (#1 and #2) in Manhattan.

In a letter containing some significant updates and and expressing that the school is my top choice, should I explicitly state that "I will withdraw my acceptances from x, y and z schools, if accepted"? Or is this in poor taste?
 
I only applied to schools in a small geographic radius around manhattan + my state schools. I am fortunate to have several acceptances but was waitlisted at both my top choices (#1 and #2) in Manhattan.

In a letter containing some significant updates and and expressing that the school is my top choice, should I explicitly state that "I will withdraw my acceptances from x, y and z schools, if accepted"? Or is this in poor taste?
Yes it seems like poor taste to me.like telling a girl you would rather date her over x or y , just show your interest (send love notes/grovel) without bringing anyone else up. And I doubt most of those Manhatten schools will care they already think they are the ****. Congrats on your acceptance hope one of the Manhatten giants take you off their waitlist
 
Yes it seems like poor taste to me.like telling a girl you would rather date her over x or y , just show your interest (send love notes/grovel) without bringing anyone else up. And I doubt most of those Manhatten schools will care they already think they are the ****. Congrats on your acceptance hope one of the Manhatten giants take you off their waitlist
Thanks for the input! The only rationale I had is that NYU "supposedly" has decent waitlist movement as many of their admits getting spots at other top schools. So perhaps saying I would attend over top competing school X would help them with their yield should they offer my an acceptance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the input! The only rationale I had is that NYU "supposedly" has decent waitlist movement as many of their admits getting spots at other top schools. So perhaps saying I would attend over top competing school X would help them with their yield should they offer my an acceptance.
I am totally against schools who encourage students to grovel for a acceptance bUT that's besides the point
If you are going to go down that road then bringing up other schools I think would not help you if anything it might have a negative effect or just be disregarded
 
I am totally against schools who encourage students to grovel for a acceptance bUT that's besides the point
If you are going to go down that road then bringing up other schools I think would not help you if anything it might have a negative effect or just be disregarded
You should frame the letter as your post in a vague sense

"While I have been fortunate enough to obtain several acceptances, I would turn them all down if I were accepted at your institution as my desire to be at your school in new york has always been strong This is because (add details that you may have presented in secondary and were supported or you reinforced at interview/visit in 2-4 sentences)" This whole letter should be no more than 1 paragraph, 6-10 sentences, written in a concise, coherent, and compelling manner.

Dont sound desperate, sound factual
thank you!!
 
We get the multiple accepts (for those we accepted) on 2/10. We see where the waitlisted candidiates are holding acceptances on April Fool's Day.

Thank you for that.

If I may clarify, you don't receive this information about a student unless you accept them (for 2/10) or waitlist them (for 4/1)?
 
We get the multiple accepts (for those we accepted) on 2/10. We see where the waitlisted candidiates are holding acceptances on April Fool's Day.
Out of curiosity, would seeing a waitlisted student (with a reasonable, but not stunning app) with no acceptances make you more or less likely to accept them?
 
Why would it??? There's no shortage of talented applicants, especially for a good school.
Maybe the lack of other acceptances would suggest that there is a larger problem with the applicant. Alternatively, the student was placed on the list for a reason. By accepting them, they would garuntee an applicant who they somewhat like (not that that seems necessary for a medical school).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It would have no effect on the committee's decision.
Do u think a applicant with 4+ acceptance would influence the financial package decision making ? Or the financial stuff is handled by a entirely different group of people and that won't influence your financial package at all??
 
Do u think a applicant with 4+ acceptance would influence the financial package decision making ? Or the financial stuff is handled by a entirely different group of people and that won't influence your financial package at all??
The decision to admit has nothing to do with multiple acceptances. Recruitment is handled differently by each school. There is a correlation between highly sought-after candidates and recruitment inducements, though.
 
To follow up on gyngyn's remark, it is a pre-med delusion that having multiple accepts makes one more attractive. As has been stated previously, the only time this matters is when you're holding accepts at a better school than the one you want to attend. Drexel is not going to care if you have accepts from Wake, Loyola, CN"u" and Albany.


Do u think a applicant with 4+ acceptance would influence the financial package decision making ? Or the financial stuff is handled by a entirely different group of people and that won't influence your financial package at all??