In a very sticky situation... I really need help on this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeCanadien

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I find your EC fascinating! Even if you apply as an international, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be given IIs. That being said, if your goal is ivy league med school, then your GPA will be a big concern. If your goal is just any med school, I think you have a very good chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools aren't going anywhere. You may need a boost in your sGPA in order to get admitted, even as a US citizen or permanent resident. ECs are great but are not a substitute for evidence that you are a strong science student.

My advice would be to get a job, any job, but ideally a job that uses your skillset, and wait out the green card process. Once you have that ticket, you can think about applying from a much better position than you would have as an international student.

Reactions: 1 user
I find your EC fascinating! Even if you apply as an international, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be given IIs. That being said, if your goal is ivy league med school, then your GPA will be a big concern. If your goal is just any med school, I think you have a very good chance.

Really? With a decent MCAT, would OP be able to secure II and possibly an acceptance with a good school list? I thought international students had to be 4.0 520 MCAT students. Also... let’s say just for mid-low tier MD schools ?

Really? With a decent MCAT, would OP be able to secure II and possibly an acceptance with a good school list? I thought international students had to be 4.0 520 MCAT students. Also... let’s say just for mid-low tier MD schools ?

I’m not sure what experiences FroYoOreo has but I’d listen to LizzyM and Goro in this situation.

I’m not sure what experiences FroYoOreo has but I’d listen to LizzyM and Goro in this situation.
I am intl and just got into an MD program ... not rocket scientist nor Olympic medalist. No 4.0 nor 520 MCAT. I guess people overrated how hard it is to get into a low/mid tier MD school as an international student?
Edits: but I guess N=1 is too small of a sample to generalize the finding.

Last edited:
I didn’t have a 4.0/520. I am not an EC superstar. In my humble opinion I am pretty ordinary and just a standard premed. Somehow I got accepted like a few weeks ago...

Last edited:
I didn’t have a 4.0/520. I am not an EC superstar. In my humble opinion I am pretty ordinary and just a standard premed. Somehow I got accepted like a few weeks ago...

But not a Canadian citizen, eh?

You might be adding "diversity" as an ORM international student who is not Canadian.

If you are feeling generous, you might share your WARS and your application list by PM with the OP.

Op's sGPA is < 10th %iles for tons of MD schools, but is fine for DO.

Not sure if applicable, but current DACA-mented student here who has been accepted to an MD school this cycle. 6 II and 1 A so far. LM 71. I went into this cycle with no expectations yet here I am so don't be dismayed. I know a canadian med student at a low/mid tier public school, but his gpa was considerably higher (3.8+) with MCAT in the 80s percentile. I would definitely find a way to bring up your sGPA with a DIY postbac and THEN try out a cycle. I agree with LizzyM that you should find a job and continue being involved with your activities but just be aware that you might not start med school for another 2-3 years. Worst case scenario, you've amassed impressive experiences and proved your commitment to medicine.

I would not mind DO. Are they more friendly towards applicants like me?

The financial situation isn’t a problem, as my parents being green card holders, I’d be able to get private loans if need be.

Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you mind if I DM you? Would be appreciated.

Hey guys.

I’m in a very strange position, so I would really appreciate your honest opinion and help. I really do not know what to do and I’m kind of worried about my situation.

So I am a Canadian citizen and moved to the United States. It’s been about 4 now, and I was able to study and graduated from University here.

My parents were able to go on fast track for the Green Card and get it in 6-8 months. For me, I’m in the process, and was told by my lawyer that it’ll take any where between 1-6 years.

I am not sure how med schools will see my app as my GPA isn’t the highest (cgpa 3.45, sgpa 3.35) my ECs are excellent. But I’m not sure if this will overshadow my gpa as an “international applicant”.

In brief, I have no clue what to do...

Here are some of my ECs:

Volunteer: boys and girls club 100 hours and continued, hospital 100 continued, tutor 150, and medical mission 300 hours

Work experience:

Start-up with a group of friends of a famous app

Sous-Chef at a restaurant

French tutor

IT (throughout college)

Research:

Neuro/psych :450 hours (Ivy league)

Immunology: 400 hours (Ivy league)

Immunology: 400 hours (Canadian Ivy)

Publication:

1- global health case study - last author

2- a book

Shadowing:

Primary care: Canada/France/USA (200hrs)

Neurology:Canada/France (20 hrs)

Pathology: Canada/France (10 hrs)

Any input is appreciated !
Worst case you could definitely land a DO spot, DO schools tend to be much more Canadian friendly

You might be adding "diversity" as an ORM international student who is not Canadian.

If you are feeling generous, you might share your WARS and your application list by PM with the OP.

not Canada citizen. ORM. I feel blessed to be considered as diverse :happy:

Go ahead. I am more than happy to share.

If it were a bit higher, with a decent MCAT, you think OP would have a shot at some mid-low tier MD schools? This is assuming they do not have the green card

Really?! @FroYoOreo did it... but he’s not Canadian. He’s an international orm
Can't comment on a case in point. FroYo didn't present what was in his/her app. Did s/he attend the med school that's at the same UG school? Without knowing what his/her hook was, it's impossible to say. And your question gave too many hypotheticals. OP doesn't even have an MCAT!

Can't comment on a case in point. FroYo didn't present what was in his/her app. Did s/he attend the med school that's at the same UG school? Without knowing what his/her hook was, it's impossible to say. And your question gave too many hypotheticals. OP doesn't even have an MCAT!

Very true. Hypothetical MCAT gives a hypothetical answer

Not sure if applicable, but current DACA-mented student here who has been accepted to an MD school this cycle. 6 II and 1 A so far. LM 71. I went into this cycle with no expectations yet here I am so don't be dismayed. I know a canadian med student at a low/mid tier public school, but his gpa was considerably higher (3.8+) with MCAT in the 80s percentile. I would definitely find a way to bring up your sGPA with a DIY postbac and THEN try out a cycle. I agree with LizzyM that you should find a job and continue being involved with your activities but just be aware that you might not start med school for another 2-3 years. Worst case scenario, you've amassed impressive experiences and proved your commitment to medicine.

I do believe that the DACA situation is more reasonable than mines... What should I do in the DIY Postbac? I had the trend of having all Bs in my freshman year (Due to the language barrier and not knowing how to study in the current system), I improved throughout the years.

I'll have to wait about 6-7 years for the card, I'm not sure if that's a good idea to wait... Given I would need to improve my GPA to a 3.8(Redoing 120 credits + the cost), because who knows what stats will be considered high then. I'll have to redo the mcat about 3 times since they do expire, if I decide to continue applying...