Jan 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey Guys,
First off, thanks for any help you can provide!
Soo I am graduating from an undergraduate degree this spring and (for reasons that aren't worth mentioning) I am applying for the September 2015 round of med school applications (hopefully ubc but I'm open to anywhere in Canada). That means I will have a year in between degrees if I can get in on my first attempt. Which brings me to my first question. Which of these options would look best for entering medicine?

1) I got into ubc pharmacy for the fall that just passed so I am confident I can do it again. I like the options of going there for a year because it's a good back up if I ant get into medicine and I'll be in ubc so it might look better.

2) One of the labs that I have worked in has offered me a paid position which could turn into a master's if I don't get in on my first try. This option is good because I can guarantee myself a journal article and I get an income for a year (rather than pay for a year of pharmacy). Plus, it would give me a chance to work on my volunteer positions and community work.

I know a lot of you are against the idea of people going to pharmacy without any plans to finish. Please don't take that into consideration in this case. For the record,If i go into pharmacy I will do so with a completely open mind to the possibility of pharmacy as a career.

This leads me to my second question, which is: Do you think I have what it takes to get into medical school?

My GPA is currently 3.95 on a 4.33 scale and will hopefully get near 4.0 by the time I graduate. That is between 85% and 95% at UBC which I think is considered good. I also have a couple years experience in a lab at my university plus one year experience in the bc cancer research Centre. I have about 60 hours of experience in a home for alzheimers patients, I have about 40 hours of experience with a local autism charity organization, I've done a semester of coop at a drug synthesizing lab, I have been an executive of a science club at my school for one year, I play on my university ultimate frisbee team, I have been a league executive and volunteer in a local ultimate frisbee league for about 7 years, and I am a member of a separate league in vancouver as well.

I think it's also important to note that if my hours of out of class experience are on the low end, the second option where I don't go to pharmacy school wouldgive me more time to rack up experience.

Sorry for the long post! I sincerely appreciate any advice you guys can lend!

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Your grades seem good.

I'd go with the lab position. Go to pharmacy school if you can't get into medical school after a try or two.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Definitely take the lab position. Pharmacy school is a waste of time and resources, both for you and for the person who wants to be a pharmacist and could be filling your spot. If nothing else, you'll get paid to work in the lab instead of you paying to get a degree you don't want or need.