In all seriousness, how do people afford schools like USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jyaki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do students afford expensive schools like USC and Tufts? Not only is tution high, but the cost of living is astronomical. Do students really take out the entire amount in loans? Is it even realistic and financially wise to do so?

It's interesting how when I talk to current Tufts students or younger people they give me the explanation that: "It's an investment to your future." Where as when I talk to older people who've graduated from dental school they basically tell me: "Go somewhere it's cheap."

If I don't have rich parent's to support me, is it even possible to go to these expensive schools?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, going to dental school to become a GOOD dentist worth the money and effort, becasue "It's an investment to your future."

Dental school is affordable even if you go to the most expensive school and dont have rich parents (and you know that we cant have part time jobs either, right?

The answer is that all healthcare professinal students are regarded as independant students. so the goverment will give you in forms of loans and scholarships the difference between the cost of attendance and the money that school offered you. many private loans are also available that let healthcare professinal studnets borrow up to full cost of attending schools and the repayment doesnt start till 6 or 9 months after your graduation (most do need a credit worthy cosigner, however). going to a cheaper school is somewhat better becasue you will have less to repay.
so relax and enjoy the bumpy ride of dental school!

good luck to you.

Comet

I have the same concern too but here's my blunt opinion.

"Affordability" varies student to student. Most dentists graduate from private schools and successfully manage to pay off their loans in about 10 - 15 yrs. Then again, there are some dentists that end up defaulting on loans and filing for bankruptcy. These failed dentists are few in number but, given that demand for dentistry is usually dependent on the economy, still proportionally larger than failed doctors.

The price gap between state and private schools can range from $50k - 150k ( let's say 80k ) plus related interests. I don't know how rich you are but that 80k ( average US household income: 50k ) is certainly a lot of money. The more expensive ( and maybe the most predominant ) procedures in dentistry today are electives that patients can hold off long enough to learn more about his needs and decide whether or not it's worth his money pursuing a dentist. There's a reason why dentists are seen in the same light as chiropractors, podiatrists, and herbalists.

Fluorine and preventive dentistry has been shrinking the potential patient pool. Nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone coming because of cavities.

Another thing is that common dental treatments cost at around $500 and dentists usually see less patients than they really hope for. You will lose some of your collections to taxes and to loan repayment.

When you're at a profession where you must always try selling treatments to put food on the table, 80k is not icing on the cake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fluorine and preventive dentistry has been shrinking the potential patient pool. Nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone coming because of cavities.

Actually, this is not true at all. The demographics are changing dramatically. Between 2010 and 2030, the percentage of the population over 65 will increase from 33 million to 70 million, which will represent 20% of the population. Due to advances in fluorides and dental care, not only will there be more older people, but there will be more older people who retain their original teeth. There has been a sharp increase in root caries, for example, due to this demographic change. Fluoride isn't the silver bullet...go shadow a pediatric dentist, and you'll see more caries than you'll care to in a day's work.

Don't ever worry about being hard pressed to find a patient pool, unless maybe you are in a super saturated area. Unless there is a vaccine for caries, which won't be happening any time soon, you have nothing to worry about.

Both the military and public health service offer programs that pay off sizeable portions of school debt accumulated by physicians and dentists in return for national service.

Logistical99, you might take note that physicians and dentists are capped at the same amount for student loans. All other health care profession students are capped at smaller amounts. The different caps are a reflection of the market's judgement about the economic prospects of those who will enter the respective health care professions.

Hell, I wouldn't be worried if they devised a magic pill to remove caries because people are so lazy, they wouldn't even take it every day.

I work for a dentist and I was concerned with the advances in cavity prevention affecting the pool of patients, especially with triclene being used in toothpastes like Colgate total.

However, I'm no longer worried. There are so many lazy people that don't brush their teeth that we will be in business forever. I can't tell you many cases involved patient neglect It's amazing. Furthermore, caries has a lot to do with genetics as well. There are some people who do take care of their teeth and unfortunately still experience caries. Plus, people are going to continue to eat food laden with sugar. Look at the variety of candy now compared to even 10 years ago? Americans love sweets and they are going to continue to eat them. Nothing will stop that.

You shouldn't be concerned with a patient pool. At worst, you can always move to some town in the middle of nowhere and be a dentist there and rake in $$$. You have options you know. You don't have to live in Los Anglelas where it's saturated as hell.

Actually, I have to agree with mcataz on this. In fact, I've also heard that some people are lacking a gene (or maybe even genes) that is supposed to prevent periodontal disease....so there you go...more prospective patients :)

What in the world?! This is like oncologists sitting around worrying that they might actually find a cure for cancer. If you don't think it's a good thing that the caries rate is going down, you really ought to stop and consider your motivation for dentistry. There are much easier ways to earn a buck.

I'm gonna be all about prevention in my practice. You know... teach 'em how to brush right, floss, pushing sealants for back molars... the whole shebang. I'm certainly not going to be worrying that patient education is detrimental to my bottomline - we're going to be healthcare professionals, for pete's sake.

Sorry, sort of off on a tangent, but some of the things I read on this board scare me a little.

Also, remember mutations will arise even if there are drugs developed. Our goals as future dentists is for preventive healthcare. Caries and other preventive problems bring in some revenue. But big bucks come in from surgeries like RCT, bone grafts, ortho, veneers, composites, etc. So the longer people have their permanent teeth the more they will come in to a dentist.

The caries rate is going down our parents generation had 20 cavities, our generation has 16 average, and our childrens generation will have around 11. That just means people will be more aware of their oral health and that means they will have their permanent teeth longer. The more longer the teeth one has the more they have to take care of them. That means they have to come in for check ups twice a year, and if emergencies arise then they definately will come in to resolve the situaiton.

With the baby boomers retiring and still having their permanent teeth, there is a huge need for dentists. And with over half the dentists projected to retire in the next ten years and the population growing exponentially with oral health awarness growing as well. We will be in huge demand.

Like Supernumerary said you should not worry about this and if you are then you should consider your motivation to pursue this field. You're main goal is to prevent suffering that can be avoided due to simple measures (brushing, flossing, going for regular check ups).

Heck I am gonna be a dentist, and I admit I do not floss regularly even after my dentist tells me. If I don't do it, then I'm sure my patients are gonna forget too, plus it is your job to tell them what to do. You can't force them to do anything. I just like to say " I told you so." :)

DesiDentist

slinging rock like 50

i vaguely remember news of a researcher at a florida school who developed a "vaccine" for caries... he discovered a strain of "good" bacteria that eats the strain of bacteria that causes cavities. basically, you would squirt this good bacteria into your mouth, and then rinse your mouth with some solution that feeds the good bacteria, and them from then on, the good bacteria would multiply as it fed on your bad bacteria.

now, even if this vaccine were approved by the gov't, would YOU take it? there's no telling what kind of affect this good bacteria might have on other systems in your body.

as for finding the gene that causes periodontal disease... i dont think i would want any genetic engineer manipulating my chromosomes, even if it could potentially improve my dental health.

i don't think we have to worry about the patient pool issue guys....

Regarding Cost, go to the school you love! NO matter how much it costs. How can you afford it? The American Way! Borrow it. My Endodontist went to UOP (general) and BU(M.S.D.) He owns a 4 million dollar home and drives a Roadster.

I think if you are single and have no other responsibilities you can have more freedom to choose for your own benefit. Having a family is a priority. You have to think of other factors including cost. It is possible to get that money. Live the American Dream, You can do anything if you work hard enough!

For the population subject. The vaccine seems to be a great discovery. I would be willing to test the new bacteria strain. Bring it on. In our county, we have provided education, promotion and treatment for children 0-5. After 2 years of the program, there has been no significant change in children having cavities. 5/10 kids 0-5 here have 1 or more decayed teeth. Working with pregnant moms, we pretty much tell them that they pass on the bacteria, s.mutans, to their baby. They comply to their xylitol gum chewing regiments and has lowered their levels of s.mutans and lactobacillus. we are currently working on a questionnaire to see if their knowledge, attitudes and behaviors will change when their children grow up.

Tell a mom there is a bacteria that they pass on to their child, and see if they don't practice better oral hygiene.

There are too many factors that cause tooth decay. I don't think there will be a problem with patients with a vaccine or with prevention education. At least you won't see anything significant short-term. Maybe after a decade of these factors, we would see a change.

Fl- is good, toothpaste, pills, drops, community water. The most important characteristic of FL- is its topical use. Ingestion benefits is secondary. So community water Fluoridation is the best answer. However, it is such a political topic, it literaly takes an army to pass on Community Water Fluoridation. Visit a City Fluoridation Session with your city council and see all the anti- fluridation Wackos.

Don't worry about patients, it's a long way before we all become orthodontists.