In defense of miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melunman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to all those who read mdsiren's post I just thought I'd inform you all of a different opinion:

I had an exceptionally weird interview at Miami and Dean Hinkley personally went out of his way to make sure my concerns were addressed.

he is NOT arrogant and he is probably the nicest administrator I met during the whole interview circuit -- at some interviews the admissions dean didn't even bother talking to us.

Furthermore, Miami was an excellent school and I would recommend it to ANYONE -- you have to see this place to believe how nice it is, it's truly state-of-the art and i have no doubt they'll one day be up there in the national rankings. if it weren't for financial reasons, i would be going there.

i think it's an utter shame other people would go on this board and just plain out bash a medical school and a really sincerely nice and honest man -- this is a forum for sharing informed and constructive opinions and we shouldn't resort to baseless name-calling.

Members don't see this ad.

You tell 'em!

See you at second look.

I totally forgot your name though.

I know nothing about Miami. I didn't apply there. However, I believe that people have the right to express their opinion. You believe it's wrong that people have been critical of the dean. You say that he is an honest person. Well, you just don't know. You met him once, I'm assuming. So, now, based on the one encounter, you are categorically convinced that he is so wonderful. Maybe you could allow the possibility that others might have a different impression of him.

He might be great, maybe not, maybe he's just human and there are days he's nice and not so nice...like all of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also thought that this forum was created to post our opinions Melunman!!! And as I see that you are from Cali and I am from Miami, I better informed dearest. A dean is representative of a medical school. In my OPINION, any dean that advocates a borderline demi-god personality as is evident by his license plate and overall demeanor is out of line. Somewhere in between spending thousands of dollars on prep courses and applying to med school, my left butt cheek going numb during the MCAT and organic chemisty...I don't think that anyone, much less some pompous dean, should be so deranged to believe that he has "MADE" his students into doctors. Have a nice day. ;)

Originally posted by mdsiren
I also thought that this forum was created to post our opinions Melunman!!! And as I see that you are from Cali and I am from Miami, I better informed dearest. A dean is representative of a medical school. In my OPINION, any dean that advocates a borderline demi-god personality as is evident by his license plate and overall demeanor is out of line. Somewhere in between spending thousands of dollars on prep courses and applying to med school, my left butt cheek going numb during the MCAT and organic chemisty...I don't think that anyone, much less some pompous dean, should be so deranged to believe that he has "MADE" his students into doctors. Have a nice day. ;)

Someone's bitter. Wahhhhh!

Originally posted by LP1CW
I know nothing about Miami. I didn't apply there. However, I believe that people have the right to express their opinion. You believe it's wrong that people have been critical of the dean. You say that he is an honest person. Well, you just don't know. You met him once, I'm assuming. So, now, based on the one encounter, you are categorically convinced that he is so wonderful. Maybe you could allow the possibility that others might have a different impression of him.

He might be great, maybe not, maybe he's just human and there are days he's nice and not so nice...like all of us.

He seemed like a very straightforward and direct person. Far from arrogant. I can see how he might not be "nice" on a given day but that probably applies to all of us, and would you rather have a dean that's fake nice? He really seemed to care about his job... he knew who I was when I walked in the door. He gave me a kleenex to wipe the sweat off my forehead. Certainly a down-to-Earth, nice guy.

What does this guy's license plate say? I keep reading about some license plates. Can someone fill me in? Thanks.

MDMAKER

I dont' see anything wrong with it - I think it's funny. We all KNOW that it's the students themselves who make it happen, but he gives you the chance to start that process. Everyone, chill out. It's just a funny license plate.

Its no worse than me having a plate with EraserheadMD or whatever. And, its really just a license plate folks, nothing meaningful.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
He gave me a kleenex to wipe the sweat off my forehead. Certainly a down-to-Earth, nice guy.

That certainly doesn't make him Mother Teresa. I had a personal interview with him about 2 years ago since I did some research on the same floor and I thought I would stop by and ask him some questions. From my 15 minutes with him, I would say he was somewhat rude and a little pompous. UM is certainly not everyone's top choice and there average #'s are not as high as some other schools, but from talking to him you get the impression that he works for HMS.

As for the license plate, MDMAKER: In my opinion, that is pretty arrogant, but that's just my opinion. I severely doubt any other medical school dean I talked to has a vanity license plate and much less one that refers to their position of power over others.

I think all the LOI's went to his head! :laugh:

this guy/gal is right on the money. when we visit med schools, we're seeing a tiny sliver of reality, just as we're showing them only a tiny sliver of who we really are.

Originally posted by LP1CW

During interview day, he goes through a slide show, and one of the slides happens to be of his license plate--"MDMAKER".

It's nice to have something to laugh at on interview day. I don't see how anyone who actually went for an interview could take that as anything more than a joke.

I'm not necessarily defending the man. I saw him only during interview day, and I never talked to him on the side. But he didn't seem like a demi-god. In fact, I would say he took himself less seriously than any of the other deans at any other medical school I've visited. He was definitely more visible and more available.