in defense of people with high stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that get B's and C's will do better financially? That is crazy. I am determined enough to maintain a 3.9 in school. My grades are just a representation of one aspect of my personality. I am the type of person that gives my best with everything that I do and I do not settle for less than my personal best. You cannot tell me that my office would likely do worse than someone with B's and C's. There is no correlation. Whatever lies help people feel better for not applying themselves to the best of their potential.

Members don't see this ad.

either you party hard now and get worse grades, or work hard now so you can party hard later. all those nerds that were laughed at in hs/college, theyre the ones you're working for now.

take what of it as you will

I got an actual test beforehand only once, the rest were old exams, however often times the professors are very lazy and dont change the exams. The time I got the actual test was when a buddy grabbed a test out of a professors briefcase when the professor stepped out of his office and the the guy distributed it to all of us. Otherwise it was just old tests.

Wow, the thing that bothers me the most isn't the fact that you cheated but it's your nonchalant attitude towards it. You look amazing on paper, i'm not going to lie. There's no doubt your going to get into a dental program. I just hope for your sake down the line that you change your attitude towards this very serious ethical/moral issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
either you party hard now and get worse grades, or work hard now so you can party hard later. all those nerds that were laughed at in hs/college, theyre the ones you're working for now.

you don't there's any middle ground here?

I agree w/ this guy

If this means anything, my uncle (a dentist with his own practice) said, and also quoted his professor in d-school that the students who make the A's will make less money than the students who make the C's and B's

My uncle, the B student and opened his own practice very shortly after graduating.

To back up this statement, patients prefer dentists they can trust and are personable. Dentistry afterall, is a business.

~A students after graduating, may be more arrogant..which turns off anyone, may have less hand skills and made As to make up for their poor hands...who knows, or are in the category of socially inept and can't gather patients (customers)

Anyways I'm not REALLY sure what my uncle actually meant, but he did quote his professor.. (and maybe his professor was that 4.0 student that now teaches dentistry, not practice it)

Last edited:
Those that get B's and C's will do better financially? That is crazy. I am determined enough to maintain a 3.9 in school. My grades are just a representation of one aspect of my personality. I am the type of person that gives my best with everything that I do and I do not settle for less than my personal best. You cannot tell me that my office would likely do worse than someone with B's and C's. There is no correlation. Whatever lies help people feel better for not applying themselves to the best of their potential.

Well then if you make A's in dschool, are personable, and have good hand skills, then you're considered a badass.

Yakuza is absolutely correct. If you disagree, please stop providing evidence with one rare case which you claim to be involving yourself.

My dad is a professor in dentistry, went to harvard for ortho, makes less than $150k a year in his practice(fine he makes around 150K), serves the community, had a 4.0 in dental school, was a BIG NERD. He is the one telling me to not follow in his footsteps with regards to his social life during school. I totally agree with him. What does that lead to? People are jealous because he spoils me with my LV, Gucci, Prada bags, my christian louboutin shoes, roc and republic jeans, my porsche. There is a tradeoff when you decide to be that 4.0. I am not quite a 4.0, i'm a 3.92 and still got interviews at all of my schools, and I am no socially-inept student. I'm not going into dentistry for the money, I have all the money I could ever want. I have made MANY attempts to get talking with those socially inept, possibly 4.0 students. They are just plain awkward to talk to in real life. Nothing I can do about that. Socially-inept kids please, hermits, come out of your shell. You will be at the top of your class like armor shell said, be an ortho/oral surgeon. What are you gonna spend your money on? YOUR KID that you want to have the life you NEVER HAD. And thats if your lucky and have kids.

Misstoothfairy..I like your point about working really hard to give your child the life you didn't have.

Are you saying that you are a 3.92 student that would do well in dentistry because you plan on being a C student in dental school? I am a little confused. It's really not that hard to maintain a high GPA in undergrad (most cases). So I'm assuming you are just talking about dental school. If we are all just talking about dental school..then I really can't comment b/c I'm not in dental school.

I guess I was thinking that we were also talking about undergrad students with high gpa's. In that case, it's relatively easy to maintain a normal social life and a high gpa. That was my defense.

Yakuza is absolutely correct. If you disagree, please stop providing evidence with one rare case which you claim to be involving yourself.

My dad is a professor in dentistry, went to harvard for ortho, makes less than $150k a year in his practice(fine he makes around 150K), serves the community, had a 4.0 in dental school, was a BIG NERD. He is the one telling me to not follow in his footsteps with regards to his social life during school. I totally agree with him. What does that lead to? People are jealous because he spoils me with my LV, Gucci, Prada bags, my christian louboutin shoes, roc and republic jeans, my porsche. There is a tradeoff when you decide to be that 4.0. I am not quite a 4.0, i'm a 3.92 and still got interviews at all of my schools, and I am no socially-inept student. I'm not going into dentistry for the money, I have all the money I could ever want. I have made MANY attempts to get talking with those socially inept, possibly 4.0 students. They are just plain awkward to talk to in real life. Nothing I can do about that. Socially-inept kids please, hermits, come out of your shell. You will be at the top of your class like armor shell said, be an ortho/oral surgeon. What are you gonna spend your money on? YOUR KID that you want to have the life you NEVER HAD. And thats if your lucky and have kids.

You sound like you have a lot of issues.

You sound like you have a lot of issues.
Shunwei, maybe you'll be working for me someday. Go keep convincing yourself you have a life and spending ample amounts of your time trying to defend yourself here, especially in response to me. You don't have any stats, don't show anything other than "dental student". How do you contribute to this forum shall I ask? Stop trolling, for all I know you can be a dental applicant posing to be a dental student so that the the desperate people seeking advice actually listen to you. You are like Doc Toothache without statistics.

Maybe one day your kid will read this forum and be like, Dad/Mom, I've been reading about this ShunWei, I hope that isn't you.

Last edited:
Misstoothfairy..I like your point about working really hard to give your child the life you didn't have.

Are you saying that you are a 3.92 student that would do well in dentistry because you plan on being a C student in dental school? I am a little confused. It's really not that hard to maintain a high GPA in undergrad (most cases). So I'm assuming you are just talking about dental school. If we are all just talking about dental school..then I really can't comment b/c I'm not in dental school.

I guess I was thinking that we were also talking about undergrad students with high gpa's. In that case, it's relatively easy to maintain a normal social life and a high gpa. That was my defense.

No, sorry if I did not convey my idea. If you are a 4.0 now, you will be somewhere close in dental school in the academic portions. As for practical aspects, that all depends on you. Dental school and undergraduate education is a different ballgame. Some schools will prepare you better than others. Some may have taken and eco major and will have to spend more time than the average science applicant studying immunology or anatomy and are likely to perform better. You are very time constrained in dental school, as we all know, and the more time you have (not studying what your undergrad prepared you for), the better off you will be. There's obviously going to be those that this thread is talking about. You'll find probably 10 or so in your class of 90. He/She will be the kid that you'll be in grad school with with a class size of 4. And when you ask them what school and year they were in, they'll tell you the same school same year as you, at which point you will itch your head.

Shunwei, maybe you'll be working for me someday. Go keep convincing yourself you have a life and spending ample amounts of your time trying to defend yourself here, especially in response to me. You don't have any stats, don't show anything other than "dental student". How do you contribute to this forum shall I ask? Stop trolling, for all I know you can be a dental applicant posing to be a dental student so that the the desperate people seeking advice actually listen to you. You are like Doc Toothache without statistics.

Maybe one day your kid will read this forum and be like, Dad/Mom, I've been reading about this ShunWei, I hope that isn't you.

Seriously? I'm pretty sure his kid will never be on SDN reading 20+ year old posts... That gave me a good laugh!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're defining fun as "partying 4x a week" as socially normal, then I'd be willing to agree that most people with high stats basically have Asperger's in your book, but that's not how society defines the norm. My experience with people with incredibly high stats have been that most of them are much more social than myself, but are highly organized and efficient.

i know what you're gettin at, but that's a bit harsh...haha.

and for the rest you...have fun defending your high/low GPA's to the rest of the SDN community :corny:

Oh yeah, and for all we know, you're Dad's not a professor of dentistry, didn't go to harvard, is not an orthodontist and you don't have a porsche. So what's your point?

To back up this statement, patients prefer dentists they can trust and are personable. Dentistry afterall, is a business.

~A students after graduating, may be more arrogant..which turns off anyone, may have less hand skills and made As to make up for their poor hands...who knows, or are in the category of socially inept and can't gather patients (customers)

Maybe things are different at other schools, but at UoP "handskills" classes make up far more than 50% of the curriculum, so if you're an "A" student, you have to prove to someone that you have decent hands, and everyone I know of who is a "top" student has amazing hands.

Please stop providing evidence with one rare case which you claim to be involving yourself.

Maybe all these supposedly "socially inept" students are giving you the cold shoulder because you incessantly brag about the things you have, and the high grades you've achieved for no reason and with no provocation, while simultaneously blaring that you "hate" to do that. Social ineptness isn't just shyness.

Last edited:

I find it funny that you are spending equally ample amounts of time defending your case here as the person who you claim doesn't have a life.

Then what are you going into it for? You just listed a **** load of materialist things along with a Porsche? Come on now, you liked what you saw with what you were getting as your father being a dentist. You are a damn brat and with your attitude like that you'll be a shi*tty dentist too

Please stop providing evidence with one rare case which you claim to be involving yourself.

Maybe all these supposedly "socially inept" students are giving you the cold shoulder because you incessantly brag about the things you have, and the high grades you've achieved for no reason and with no provocation, while simultaneously blaring that you "hate" to do that. Social ineptness isn't just shyness.

You are right, social ineptness is not just shyness. This thread started off as someone complaining about people with 4.0's and how they are not socially inept. If anything, I am supporting it. But not supporting that those that do not have 4.0's think they are more socially capable than those with 4.0's. Majority may be, and I definately believe that. I do not associate doing something "other than school" as getting hammered. I haven't made that comment once.

Then what are you going into it for? You just listed a **** load of materialist things along with a Porsche? Come on now, you liked what you saw with what you were getting as your father being a dentist. You are a damn brat and with your attitude like that you'll be a shi*tty dentist too

With such an attitude why would I have worked or even gone to university for that matter? I can marry rich and carry on the tradition? In my opinion, I do not have an attitude, just sharing my side of supporting the OP with what I agree with and why. I am down to earth, I'll tell you how it is. I am not listing material things to flaunt what I have. I don't need to do that.

I find it funny that you are spending equally ample amounts of time defending your case here as the person who you claim doesn't have a life.
Just as much time as I spent trying to determine whether a panty line is poor business etiquette. You are, once again, right armorshell. If anything, I am trying to help those. I respond to PM's, I get them all the time asking how I studied for DAT, why dentistry, how my interviews went etc. I am fully there to help anyone in need.

Sounds to me like you're "fully there" to show superiority. Prove me wrong.

Haven't logged on in months; adcoms and professors have counseled me not to listen to a word that's said on this forum. Now I see why. Say whatever you want about the "social ineptness" of those that "jerk to warcraft" and those that "don't shower", blah blah blah. It's crystal clear that your condescending attitude comes from years of pampering from dear old Daddy that allow you access into social circles that others with your same intelligence would not be afforded. You know it, and so does everyone else. Your vain attempts to "help" on this forum are simply efforts to show that you can hang with the smart crowd, too, and it doesn't seem like you're doing a very good job of it. Who's the one that's socially inept here?

Promoting your own future: your statement about tearing the 4.0 crowd to pieces, forecasting your position as an adcom...
Do you play as a warlock?

I was impressed (overall) with the maturity and helpfulness of the people on this forum until I read this thread.

misstoothfairy, you sound like the worst kind of person - spoiled, arrogant, and in denial about both. I hope you're not in my dental school class, for both our sakes.

A little side note, my dad makes 10 times what yours does but he doesn't waste his money on overpriced designer purses and expensive cars. If your dad is only making 150K a year and thinks he's in the income bracket for gucci purses and porsches, he needs a lesson in money management.

Wow so much crying in a thread.

Step up your game when its interview time, bottom line is if you get into dental school its like a new season your undefeated.

Talk is cheap, if you have something to prove with a low GPA and you get into dental school then put up the numbers to show your abilities. Its like working out anyone can get into shape if they are willing to put in the time and effort the difference between 99% of people is just that the time and effort.

I had a poor undergrad GPA so what did I do??? Sucked it up on the DATs and put up numbers, if you didn't put up the numbers in undergrad then you better preform under pressure to improve your DAT otherwise you have no arguement to bash those with high stats. Odds are the people with 3.8-4.0's payed their dues everyday during college (or took a joke major or had highly curved classes).

Bottom line

Step up your game

:corny:
Between this and your last post, it's clear something is going on with you. But you are mature, I'll let you figure that out.:thumbup:

misstoothfairy I think you really live in a fairy tale. First as someone pointed out 150K is not that much, and cannot afford all the things you mentioned, which says that either you are lying or your own parents do not trust you to tell how much they really make...

In general this thread is immature. Who cares? if people think you are socially challenged or whatever... wait 10 years and you will realized that it does not matter... forget peer pressure and do not be afraid of investing your time with the books, because someone might think you need a life... again, who cares... relax and do what makes you happy now...if it is pertying, cool, it is securing a better future, ok, it is a personal decision. ...

i dont think you have to be rich to afford those type of things...i buy roc and republic jeans, gucci, lv, and feragamo stuff minus the porsche and i only work part time

i dont think you have to be rich to afford those type of things...i buy roc and republic jeans, gucci, lv, and feragamo stuff minus the porsche and i only work part time

Basically, you work and spend all the money on yourself, like most part-time working students, in that case buying brand name clothes is affordable.... I agree, but that is not the case here...

So you are right, only after you take away the Porsche (for the KIDS!!!), the nice house... the need to save for retirement... the need to provide for your family (kids included)..., your own Porsche etc...

If most of you were in the same room together this junk would probably never be spewed. I don't think toothfairy, or anyone else for that matter, should go around saying who is socially inept when you are grouping people based primarily on their GPA. Why are we even talking about this on an INTERNET forum, some people would consider being on here anti-social because it's over the computer.

And BTW, cheating is absurd, if any of you think that all of your peers are also doing it, you are wrong. Cheating just means that you lack total confidence in your own ability.

I was impressed (overall) with the maturity and helpfulness of the people on this forum until I read this thread.

misstoothfairy, you sound like the worst kind of person - spoiled, arrogant, and in denial about both. I hope you're not in my dental school class, for both our sakes.

A little side note, my dad makes 10 times what yours does but he doesn't waste his money on overpriced designer purses and expensive cars. If your dad is only making 150K a year and thinks he's in the income bracket for gucci purses and porsches, he needs a lesson in money management.

Your dad takes 10x thats great. 150K for an ortho is on the lowest end, and corresponds to the 3 days a week, half days worked. The rest of the time is spent at the university. I am not spoiled, I may be arrogant. I was trying to prove my point to armor shell who has some sort of idea that orthos are all rich. Not the case.
I hope you are not in my dental school class too, I wouldn't get anything out of someone like you and neither will anyone else. You will serve as a seat warmer if anything, or someone who is taking up a seat that someone else deserves. Your first post comes to me. Why create another username just to talk crap about me? Stop hiding please. Come back and make a post on your real username.

If most of you were in the same room together this junk would probably never be spewed. I don't think toothfairy, or anyone else for that matter, should go around saying who is socially inept when you are grouping people based primarily on their GPA. Why are we even talking about this on an INTERNET forum, some people would consider being on here anti-social because it's over the computer.

And BTW, cheating is absurd, if any of you think that all of your peers are also doing it, you are wrong. Cheating just means that you lack total confidence in your own ability.

If i grouped by GPA I would be in the group of socially inept. Please get a clue.

With such an attitude why would I have worked or even gone to university for that matter? I can marry rich and carry on the tradition? In my opinion, I do not have an attitude, just sharing my side of supporting the OP with what I agree with and why. I am down to earth, I'll tell you how it is. I am not listing material things to flaunt what I have. I don't need to do that.

Except....you...just ... did...???? Right???

This forum is about dentistry.... Not about how much money your harvard-grad daddy makes and what he buys you with it. That's his accomplishment, not yours. Thanks for sharing though.

Except....you...just ... did...???? Right???

This forum is about dentistry.... Not about how much money your harvard-grad daddy makes and what he buys you with it. That's his accomplishment, not yours. Thanks for sharing though.

I did list, you're right. Not in attempt to flaunt however (= you're wrong). I am agreeing to the OP in the sense that 4.0 doesn't mean socially inept. And that 3.0 doesn't mean MORE socially capable than someone with 4.0. Stating what I had is to make a point of the jealousy observed. I have something many people don't, so people get jealous and envious. A 4.0, what some people have and MANY don't, people get jealous and envious. They do not know the story behind the 4.0, just like people don't know the story behind what I have. They just assume I'm just another rich girl, just like you. With an RC score like that, I am disappointed.

I did list, you're right. Not in attempt to flaunt however (= you're wrong). I am agreeing to the OP in the sense that 4.0 doesn't mean socially inept. And that 3.0 doesn't mean MORE socially capable than someone with 4.0. Stating what I had is to make a point of the jealousy observed. I have something many people don't, so people get jealous and envious. A 4.0, what some people have and MANY don't, people get jealous and envious. They do not know the story behind the 4.0, just like people don't know the story behind what I have. They just assume I'm just another rich girl, just like you. With an RC score like that, I am disappointed.

My point is you don't need to list materialistic belongings to make the point you just made. What you have has nothing to do with social ineptness. There is no correlation. You could have ended the sentence : people are jealous because he spoils me... PERIOD. It is so irrelevant and that is why myself and everyone else in this thread think you sound like a stuck-up daddy's girl.

My point is you don't need to list materialistic belongings to make the point you just made. What you have has nothing to do with social ineptness. There is no correlation. You could have ended the sentence : people are jealous because he spoils me... PERIOD. It is so irrelevant and that is why myself and everyone else in this thread think you sound like a stuck-up daddy's girl.
You are right. I should make hypothetical scenarios in the future rather than referring to my own personal life. I am wrong for this, as this is a forum and people shouldn't be spilling personal information anyway. I apologize for not using a better example, it was the best I could think of at the time. One cannot and should not focus on that post entirely to develop a conclusion to what I was getting at. I would make the same assumption that you, and many others have, based on that one post alone.

I got 99 problems but a crazy b**** ain't one.

I'll have the admissions committee decide that. Not Jay-Z. Thanks tho.

Really, the only thing we can say in this thread is that missfootdairy is lacking social skills. Look how many "enemies" you have been able to foster here and other threads.
Do not worry I have the solution. Start going to parties, without any brand name and without the Porsche; and try to make new friends with just your personality. Later, ask you father for a few dollars and take trips to undeveloped countries and learn new cultures and get in touch with humanity.
Take that advice, really, one day all your friends and peers will have the same amount of money as you and you will not be able to cover your flawed personality behind the Gucci glasses. Get well... ciao

Last edited:
Here you are again with degrading ethnic comments.
Really, the only thing we can say in this thread is that missfootdairy is lacking social skills. Look how many "enemies" you have been able to foster here and other threads.
Do not worry I have the solution. Start going to parties, without any brand name and without the Porsche; and try to make new friends with just your personality. Later, ask you father for a few dollars and take trips to undeveloped countries and learn new cultures and get in touch with humanity.
Take that advice, really, one day all your friends and peers will have the same amount of money as you and you will not be able to cover your flawed personality behind the Gucci glasses. Get well... ciao

"I got 99 problems but a B@#$# ain't one" is a line from one of Jay-Zs songs.. She wasn't being derogatory.

People are jealous because he spoils me with my LV, Gucci, Prada bags, my christian louboutin shoes, roc and republic jeans, my porsche.

I'm comfortable....in wrangler

and i might have thrown up a little bit in my mouth when I read this

I want a porsche =)

Man..this thread has taken a turn for the worse..lol. entertaining though
Sorry misstoothfairy but I think you lost yourself in your argument.

Anyways why is everyone categorizing NOT going out and partying as being socially inept? Just because someone doesn't go out drinking or talks so much doesn't mean their socially inept. There's nothing wrong with being quite or keeping to yourself, as long as you aren't weird like those..well you probably can picture an image in your head.

Socially inept= odd personalities. The ones you can just sense they're...different

If you haven't yet realized this is a duplicate misstoothfairy, the real one had like 1000+ posts no???

Asian or not, your @ss did not get hammered 3-4 times a week

And you would know? Why do you assume like you know anything about someone else on sdn. And it is you obviously making it a racial issue not me. I think you are hating because you weren't able to drink on the weeknights and handle school. what a f@ckin loser

Status
Not open for further replies.