jpn123

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2002
55
0
Visit site
Status
Hi guys I am currently a first year dental student and thinking about going into optometry. I think dentistry is interesting but I an finding out it is not the profession for me. I have poor depth perception and I feel this is really hindering my performance. I would like to get your feed back.
 

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
1,179
2
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
I can see how that could slow you down. If that is all that is holding you back, you may want to get an eye exam to measure your stereopsis. If that is the problem maybe you can get some VT. I think that VT could help...could someone correct me? But if you really think you would be happier in optometry, great. I know you will not be able to get advanced standing because of your first year course, so you will have to retake general anatomy and any other courses that overlap. I'm sure you will have an edge the first year.

Like always, make sure you shadow a few ODs before you jump into anything.

Good luck!
 

Loncifer

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2004
35
0
Status
jpn123 said:
Hi guys I am currently a first year dental student and thinking about going into optometry. I think dentistry is interesting but I an finding out it is not the profession for me. I have poor depth perception and I feel this is really hindering my performance. I would like to get your feed back.
Just a thought, but if you end up poking around peoples eyes then depth perception will also be important. Ask to spend a few days with an optometrist and see how important you think it might be and if you'll be comfortable with the typical tasks.
Best of luck.
 

ohiostateboy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
47
0
Status
Good luck doing a corneal foreign body extraction without good depth perception. I can see it now... "Well, Sir I was successful at removing your foreign body." "But doctor, what's this goop running down my face?" "Don't mind that Sir. It'll stop dripping once your eye pressure equilibrates with the atmosphere." And there'll be plenty more positive Seidel signs where that came from. :laugh: Also, good luck doing punctal plugs or many of the other 'surgical' optometric procedures. :luck:
 

xmattODx

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
574
1
Visit site
Status
ohiostateboy said:
Good luck doing a corneal foreign body extraction without good depth perception. I can see it now... "Well, Sir I was successful at removing your foreign body." "But doctor, what's this goop running down my face?" "Don't mind that Sir. It'll stop dripping once your eye pressure equilibrates with the atmosphere." And there'll be plenty more positive Seidel signs where that came from. :laugh: Also, good luck doing punctal plugs or many of the other 'surgical' optometric procedures. :luck:
Let's get real here kids. How many ODs actually do foreign body removal on a regular basis? How many punctal plugs? etc. I would strongly suggest the OP not rush into OD school but if they so choose, limited depth perception (BTW: what exactly does that mean and if you truly have decreased depth perception it can probably be helped with correct spectacles and, perhaps, VT) shouldn't hinder you much if at all.
 

PBEA

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
794
8
Status
xmattODx said:
Let's get real here kids. How many ODs actually do foreign body removal on a regular basis? How many punctal plugs? etc. I would strongly suggest the OP not rush into OD school but if they so choose, limited depth perception (BTW: what exactly does that mean and if you truly have decreased depth perception it can probably be helped with correct spectacles and, perhaps, VT) shouldn't hinder you much if at all.

I do roughly 1-2 FB every 2 months, 2-4 per month during the summer. Very few punctal plugs. I have old contre cou (sp?) scar (blunt injury), absolute scotoma, with reduced stereo. Monocular cues for depth are powerful and I would contend are near equal with true stereo (of course I'm a biased one eyed optometrist). I agree, I don't think reduced stereo precludes becoming an OD or MD.

FYI, I guess what he was alluding to was, if there is strabismus and/or anomolous retinal correspondence, then spectacle correction and/or "vision therapy" might help this patient.