Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to do about alllll my loans from undergrad. I'm really confused and not sure what's the best step to take.
I just graduated in May and I start med school in mid-Aug. I have ~25k in stafford loans from undergrad and was considering consolidating. I called a company and told the woman my situation (that I'm starting med school in a month but want to consolidate my undergrad federal loans). She said I could but then I'd be foregoing my grace period.
What does this mean? When will I have to start making payments if I consolidate vs if I don't consolidate? Does that mean immediately after I graduate I would have to make payments on my consolidation loan while doing my residency and I couldn't defer? Most people defer, right? So if I don't consolidate, I would just defer until I finish my residency? I'm very lost in how all this works...
Additionally I have a huge problem. I have private loans. Lots. I wanted to go to medical school soooooo bad I completely lost my mind and took out $60k throughout my undergrad years so I didn't have to work (so I could focus on getting straight As and doing research +ECs: basically doing everything I could just to get in). Now I'm actually starting to freak out because my interest rates are variable, some up to 12.75% and I spent all last night practically having a meltdown about all that I will somehow HAVE to pay back someday. ANYWAY when I regrouped this morning, I realized I must face the music but I don't really know how and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to offer any advice about what I should do.
I'm thinking I want to consolidate the private loans I have and maybe not the stafford because if I can't defer during residency then I wouldn't be able to make payments for both. It seems like I would be better off to lock in a lower interest rate and just deal with the lack of a grace period. One of the problems with consolidating my private is that Sallie Mae is my lender and they are not doing consolidations at this time, so if I did want to, I'd have to find another company that would consolidate the private loans I have with Sallie Mae. UGHHH!
Okay, I don't know if that made sense, but if there's anyone out there that is willing to take time to tell me some options (that will save me $$$) I'd definitely appreciate it.
thx
I just graduated in May and I start med school in mid-Aug. I have ~25k in stafford loans from undergrad and was considering consolidating. I called a company and told the woman my situation (that I'm starting med school in a month but want to consolidate my undergrad federal loans). She said I could but then I'd be foregoing my grace period.
What does this mean? When will I have to start making payments if I consolidate vs if I don't consolidate? Does that mean immediately after I graduate I would have to make payments on my consolidation loan while doing my residency and I couldn't defer? Most people defer, right? So if I don't consolidate, I would just defer until I finish my residency? I'm very lost in how all this works...
Additionally I have a huge problem. I have private loans. Lots. I wanted to go to medical school soooooo bad I completely lost my mind and took out $60k throughout my undergrad years so I didn't have to work (so I could focus on getting straight As and doing research +ECs: basically doing everything I could just to get in). Now I'm actually starting to freak out because my interest rates are variable, some up to 12.75% and I spent all last night practically having a meltdown about all that I will somehow HAVE to pay back someday. ANYWAY when I regrouped this morning, I realized I must face the music but I don't really know how and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to offer any advice about what I should do.
I'm thinking I want to consolidate the private loans I have and maybe not the stafford because if I can't defer during residency then I wouldn't be able to make payments for both. It seems like I would be better off to lock in a lower interest rate and just deal with the lack of a grace period. One of the problems with consolidating my private is that Sallie Mae is my lender and they are not doing consolidations at this time, so if I did want to, I'd have to find another company that would consolidate the private loans I have with Sallie Mae. UGHHH!
Okay, I don't know if that made sense, but if there's anyone out there that is willing to take time to tell me some options (that will save me $$$) I'd definitely appreciate it.
thx