username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone else notice a decreased anxiety (well, anxiety might not be the best word, but apprehension/worry/etc) with regards to in house exams at your school as Step I approaches? I mean obviously after the first few M1 exams you get into a comfortable-ish rhythm and they don't faze you like the first one or two did.

I think it's mostly a feeling of "well I've busted my ass for nearly two years, and I've got this other huge exam coming up in June that matters a lot more, so as long as I feel like I'm learning this stuff, I'm not gonna sweat it."

Or maybe it's just that Spring Break is oh so close and I'm just burnt out.

DoctorCR

Removed
Feb 25, 2010
Status
Just like with everything else, with increased confidence and ability comes decreased anxiety.

lildave2586

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
The ville
Status
Medical Student
I'm getting tired of in-house tests as well. In fact I hardly care about them at all. We have our tests on Friday's and we get the entire week before to study. During last study week I really just wanted to study for Step I. I could care less about the class material. Anyway, only one more test to go for us and then it's time for the BIG QUIZ!

OP
U

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I'm getting tired of in-house tests as well. In fact I hardly care about them at all. We have our tests on Friday's and we get the entire week before to study. During last study week I really just wanted to study for Step I. I could care less about the class material. Anyway, only one more test to go for us and then it's time for the BIG QUIZ!

Wait, so you guys get Mon-Thurs off (plus the preceding Sat/Sun) before an exam? Damn.

lildave2586

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
The ville
Status
Medical Student
Wait, so you guys get Mon-Thurs off (plus the preceding Sat/Sun) before an exam? Damn.
We are on a block format where we take one test per block. All the classes that block put their questions on one 6-7 hour test, and we take it in six 48 question sessions (just like Step I). Needless to say after doing this for a year, the 8 hour test of Step I is going to be just another block test.

It is wonderful to have the week off before the test. It not only gives you time to review most of the material, but it teaches you how to study for 12 hours straight for days in a row (same as what you should do before Step I). I've been pretty happy with the way our school does things.