In it for just the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JerryPharmD

Salt Miner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you ever wondered/noticed that you have classmates that are in it just for the money? It makes you wonder what kind of pharmacist they'll make, or if they'll be the one called in front of the Board. I never thought about this till a friend mentioned it.
 
it doesnt really matter what people are in it for as long as they are competant. yes, it would be nice if everyone loved their job. but thats an idealistic world you cant afford to live in. its pretty hard to get into school to begin with, so no matter how much passion one has for pharmacy, they are intelligent enough to deal with any problems in their profession. as long as my pharmacist gets her job done, thats well enough for me.

but most people i know love the profession and the money,
 
it doesnt really matter what people are in it for as long as they are competant. yes, it would be nice if everyone loved their job. but thats an idealistic world you cant afford to live in. its pretty hard to get into school to begin with, so no matter how much passion one has for pharmacy, they are intelligent enough to deal with any problems in their profession. as long as my pharmacist gets her job done, thats well enough for me.

but most people i know love the profession and the money,

Wow, I can't disagree more. You don't have to love it, but if you are in it just for the money, you will never be a good pharmacist from a clinical or economic standpoint.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pharmacy school is a lot of work if you're ONLY in it for the money. I agree with StringTheorist, most people probably like the money and the profession. The ones that started college with money on their minds probably changed majors when they hit that Organic I course. I am going to pharmacy school because I find the profession to be interesting and I will be able to make a good living at it.
 
I decided to stay in school and I'm working weekends as a pharmacist JUST for the money to supplement my stipend. Based on what my colleagues and patients say of me, I am a wonderful and helpful pharmacist. I give great advice and drug information to people that ask and everyone gets what they need. just being if it for the money does not make you a bad pharmacist as long as you are competent. A janitor isn't cleaning toilets because they love it, but our bathrooms are consistently clean.
 
Pharmacy school is a lot of work if you're ONLY in it for the money. I agree with StringTheorist, most people probably like the money and the profession. The ones that started college with money on their minds probably changed majors when they hit that Organic I course. I am going to pharmacy school because I find the profession to be interesting and I will be able to make a good living at it.

Pharmacy and pharmacy school is not a lot of work and when you factor in the money, especially when you consider the job responsibilities of a high-volume retail pharmacist, it is probably one of the cushiest jobs out there. I thought hospital would be different, but when I did my first rotation it seemed they surfed the Internet about 75% of the time.
 
When I was 17 and decided to go to pharmacy school it wasnt because I wanted to work behind a counter. I liked the fact that you could make 100k+ out of school and got a doctorates. That sold me.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into. As a practicing pharmacist I can honestly say I like having the knowledge base on drugs and helping people. My biggest motivation for finishing school was the money, helping people I figured out later was cool and actually more rewarding. :laugh:

Yes, I am motivated by money, but am still considered to be in the store with the strongest team in the district, and that "team" consists of one other rph and myself.

Just because you like money doesnt mean your going to suck.
 
I'm sorry, but that is such an ignorant and close-minded statement. Just because you are in it for the money, doesn't mean you can't be a good pharmacist and you don't have to love it....you just have to put up with it or be content with it...then when your paycheck comes around...then you love it...but only for that 5 minutes looking at how much you get payed and when you buy stuff that makes you happy for a minute.

Wow, I can't disagree more. You don't have to love it, but if you are in it just for the money, you will never be a good pharmacist from a clinical or economic standpoint.