In Need Of Advice : Full course load, IPrep Dental and work. Is it doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drawingdentist

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in need of some advice.
I am applying to dental school this upcoming cycle and was wondering if any of you were successful in your DAT prep while taking a 15 credit semester, working part time and taking a DAT prep course (I will be taking IPrep Dental).

My classes for next semester are:
Organic Chemistry II w/Lab
Microbiology w/Lab
Fundamentals of Color
Painting I

I would be working a maximum of 10 hours per week while enrolled in IPrep Dental for 8 weeks. The course is $1700 and I want to make the most of it but I am in a dual admission program and I need to finish my DAT by August 31st. If I wait to take the IPrep dental course in April (which is the next time it is being offered) I will only have one chance to take the exam before the August 31st deadline.

Should I tough it out and take the course so I can give myself time to retake it or hold off until the summer and risk not being able to retake it before the August 31st deadline?

Thank you so much for your input, I appreciate you taking the time to read this!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure why you are persistent about taking the course. I didn't take a course while preparing for my DAT and did just fine. $1700 for a prep course, ughhh. Save the money and study on your own. I also took the exam during the spring semester. I was taking biochemistry, physiology, and physics in that semester. I managed to get an A in all of them and a 23AA on my exam. Manage your time wisely and you can do miracles.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure why you are persistent about taking the course. I didn't take a course while preparing for my DAT and did just fine. $1700 for a prep course, ughhh. Save the money and study on your own. I also took the exam during the spring semester. I was taking biochemistry, physiology, and physics in that semester. I managed to get an A in all of them and a 23AA on my exam. Manage your time wisely and you can do miracles.
Awesome job!!! On average, how many hours a day did you devote to DAT prep? And for how long did you study?
Also any tips for how you balanced it all?
Thank you in advance!!

Awesome job!!! On average, how many hours a day did you devote to DAT prep? And for how long did you study?
Also any tips for how you balanced it all?
Thank you in advance!!
I studied for one month (march) and my exam was on April third. TBH, my studying schedule sucked for both the DAT and my classes. I'm the type who likes to cram before exams and it wasn't any different for that semester. I would start reviewing the material a day before each test and for the DAT, I tried to study as much as I can in the morning but that wasn't the case for everyday. I was super inconsistent while studying for it. One day I would study for 6hrs, the next I would study for 4hrs.... I didn't study at all for the last 4 days before the exam. I can't recommend you anything because I don't know how you study. Everyone is different. But I can recommend you the prep material that I used because they did in fact prepare me for the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @I-hate-alginate , paying for a course isn't necessary to do well on the DAT. You can make your own study schedule, purchase your own resources, and do excellent on the DAT without having to spend $1700+. The application process itself is expensive enough - save that money.

Reactions: 1 users
I studied for one month (march) and my exam was on April third. TBH, my studying schedule sucked for both the DAT and my classes. I'm the type who likes to cram before exams and it wasn't any different for that semester. I would start reviewing the material a day before each test and for the DAT, I tried to study as much as I can in the morning but that wasn't the case for everyday. I was super inconsistent while studying for it. One day I would study for 6hrs, the next I would study for 4hrs.... I didn't study at all for the last 4 days before the exam. I can't recommend you anything because I don't know how you study. Everyone is different. But I can recommend you the prep material that I used because they did in fact prepare me for the exam.

What did you use to study for the exam? How did you know which resources were the best to study from?

What did you use to study for the exam? How did you know which resources were the best to study from?
I recommend 3 products only. AP cliff, destroyer, and bootcamp. If you have a very solid background in biology, then you can go without ap cliff. For bootcamp, use it daily for reading, PAT, and math. While for the sciences, use destroyer and do it multiple times. Once you know all destroyer, you can start testing yourself on bootcamp. I found destroyer to be harder than bootcamp but the exam was very similar to destroyer so...

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't take iprep bc you are getting ripped off BIG time!!! If you do bootcamp alone with Feralis, you'll be fine. Want a better score than get destroyer, to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't take iprep bc you are getting ripped off BIG time!!! If you do bootcamp alone with Feralis, you'll be fine. Want a better score than get destroyer, to be on the safe side. But you have to have self discipline to do it purely online.