In need of advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faithcouragehope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated recently and still deciding on what I should do. My GPA isn't great at all and I was thinking of doing masters/smp/graduate certificate. I know how masters and SMP can be expensive and I have more of a budget for graduate certificate so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? I found something of interested for medical neuroscience.

My GPA isn't great at all as I said. I'm embarrassed actually. I knew I could have done better. I have somewhat of an upward trend, but I know it isn't enough. I dedicated way too much time to my ec's and didn't create a good healthy balance. I honestly don't regret it in terms of the impact and the enjoyment I felt, but I know I could have established a better job at time managing. I have 1000+ hours of volunteer (including hospital + working with kids, 2 years of secretary, 1.5 VP), sorority for 2+ (held 4 positions). Still have yet to find shadowing opporunity, currently a research assistant for about a month now and I plan to stay for awhile because I actually found a project I'm genuinely interested. I think I can do well on the MCAT if I studied hard because I know my GPA isn't an accurate rep of who I am, but then again it's risky. Kind of considering different paths.. idk.. just need of exception guidance and advice right now.

Members don't see this ad.

OP, you locked your PM so I can't directly apply.

I'll need your year by year GPAs to get an idea of where you stand.

If finances are an issue, try they DIY post-bac route. If that's still not doable, work and save up money for a few years and then go that route. If you have ot wait until your kids are older, so be it. I've have some great students who were in their 30s and 40s.

Reactions: 1 users
need more info to quantify. also, how do you know that you want to do medicine? when are you planning to study for the MCAT? did you have any close friends in college who were doing the pre-med track (living in the library)?