In need of some Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone im new to the Forum. I am currently a High School senior and about to go onto College. I plan major in either Natural Sciences, Chemistry or Physics. I have always been interested in doing Optometry, but it wasn't until recently that i knew there were optometry schools, i always thought it was MCAT then med-school but now i know about the OAT and such.

My question to some Pre-Optometry students is:

When you were attending college, did you check for Prestige or somewhere local? maybe a state university? Right now im debating whether or not i should Attend Fordham University (and struggle a little financially) or attend a City University (CUNY). I just want the best education possible to ready me for the future.

Also to you guys, what type of majors did you guys have?
Did you start internships from Freshman year?

Im actually planning wherever i go, to get some sort of experience, whether it is in general or in the optometry field. I've heard of places like Unite for Sight but not sure what i can do to receive the best experience along with providing my services to places for help. Im very active in high school fund raising money, and spreading messages to help fight causes so its one thing i look forward to doing.

Any advice on what type of internships or types of volunteering i can do? I am from New York City.

The only setback to my plan i guess, is i know there are limited amount of optometry schools, but i will most likely only apply to one, SUNYopt.

Does anyone have any advice as to what i should do? the type of classes that would be beneficial for me to take? and ofcourse as mentioned, types of experiences that helped you personally, in addition to looking good for Optometry School Applications.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone im new to the Forum. I am currently a High School senior and about to go onto College. I plan major in either Natural Sciences, Chemistry or Physics. I have always been interested in doing Optometry, but it wasn't until recently that i knew there were optometry schools, i always thought it was MCAT then med-school but now i know about the OAT and such.

My question to some Pre-Optometry students is:

When you were attending college, did you check for Prestige or somewhere local? maybe a state university? Right now im debating whether or not i should Attend Fordham University (and struggle a little financially) or attend a City University (CUNY). I just want the best education possible to ready me for the future.

Also to you guys, what type of majors did you guys have?
Did you start internships from Freshman year?

Im actually planning wherever i go, to get some sort of experience, whether it is in general or in the optometry field. I've heard of places like Unite for Sight but not sure what i can do to receive the best experience along with providing my services to places for help. Im very active in high school fund raising money, and spreading messages to help fight causes so its one thing i look forward to doing.

Any advice on what type of internships or types of volunteering i can do? I am from New York City.

The only setback to my plan i guess, is i know there are limited amount of optometry schools, but i will most likely only apply to one, SUNYopt.

Does anyone have any advice as to what i should do? the type of classes that would be beneficial for me to take? and ofcourse as mentioned, types of experiences that helped you personally, in addition to looking good for Optometry School Applications.

Thanks

Ok, foremost...DO NOT attend Fordham (it's simply not worth it financially). There is absolutely no reason to attend a private school when the SUNY schools give you a great education, are respected, and are affordable. Go to CUNY or any other SUNY, get high grades, do well on the oat, and you'll get in optometry school. You don't need to do any internships, just make sure you shadow plenty of optometrists. If you want to go to SUNY opt...apply to the 7 year program. You'll save a year of undergrad tuition. Make sure you go to an undergrad that has this program...lots do though. Just check.

Do gen bio and chem year 1...ochem and physics year 2....and you're set for the oat. A chem, physics, or bio major should work out. You just need to do the prerequisites for SUNY opt.

good luck!

Ok, foremost...DO NOT attend Fordham (it's simply not worth it financially). There is absolutely no reason to attend a private school when the SUNY schools give you a great education, are respected, and are affordable. Go to CUNY or any other SUNY, get high grades, do well on the oat, and you'll get in optometry school. You don't need to do any internships, just make sure you shadow plenty of optometrists. If you want to go to SUNY opt...apply to the 7 year program. You'll save a year of undergrad tuition. Make sure you go to an undergrad that has this program...lots do though. Just check.

Do gen bio and chem year 1...ochem and physics year 2....and you're set for the oat. A chem, physics, or bio major should work out. You just need to do the prerequisites for SUNY opt.

good luck!

Kind of late for Sunys even though i got into them, i have to decide in a week and if i go to lets say Stony dorming will suck. I put in a deposit for Fordham but might not attend and go to CUNY. 7 year u mean joint programs? i personally dont find any interest in the schools that offer that, and would rather just apply for the Early Assurance option. Also would i plan to volunteer also as well as shadow optometrists. How does the shadowing thing work? how long is it and what is it that i have to do/ keep a look out for?

What are the average gpa and oat for sunyopt? and is it very difficult to get into? Mainly suny opt because its so cheap for instate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I can give you a quick response based on my experiences, I will tailor it closely to waht I have been through.

Choose a SUNY school.

They are very very reputable, fun, and have lots of opportunity.

Personally I chose Albany and I am glad I did.

Albany specifically has a Joint Degree, 7 year program, affiliated with SUNY Optometry in Manhattan.

Dr. Johnston the vp for student affairs comes in to see us students every year! He even came and spoke for our Pre-opt club.

You can do 3 years at albany, and 4 at suny opt and be completely done!

Good deal i'd say, and if you want to find out more about this, just click on the link at the bottom of my profile here. Go to resources on our website link and look for the JOINT DEGREE link....

I would recommend a SUNY.

Shadow a little bit of optometrists starting your freshman year. TRUST ME, the hours will add up VERY quickly.

You can do research at a SUNY on eyes etc. Albany has a community service course in which you could probably volunteer at an eye clinic. 2 credits also!

Check it out and PM me if you need any help.

Matt

hm well i was looking into joint degree...but then again how many students who are in the joint degree have a chance to attend suny opt? I thought that if i did the early assuance it would benefit me more. Im still looking into the schools that have the optometry program but its pretty late and if i do chose to do joint degree i would have to transfer schools.

I mean the students in joint degree still have to take the OAT and score well on it im assuming, is there a major boost in application and credentials of a student applying to sunyopt from joint degree?

bumpp...

another question::

those who get rejected from opt school, what do you guys do in the mean time? pursue a masters degree? or get a job and reapply?