In-person vs zoom interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstar11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the search for programs continue, I am wondering if some programs you have come across are still planning on in person interviews? There does not seem to be any indication on most websites or on ERAS. I just came across one program that is listing the interview location as on their campus with dates for this year listed. Nampa Residency - Family Medicine Residency of Idaho . Our home hospital is not allowing student travel right now and we would be required to quarantine after any plane trips which would make in person interviews a huge issue. I know there are official "recommendations" that have been put out by several organizations but it looks like this program is still going forward with in-person interviews based on their page. Any other programs people have found that are still doing in person interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

As the search for programs continue, I am wondering if some programs you have come across are still planning on in person interviews? There does not seem to be any indication on most websites or on ERAS. I just came across one program that is listing the interview location as on their campus with dates for this year listed. Nampa Residency - Family Medicine Residency of Idaho . Our home hospital is not allowing student travel right now and we would be required to quarantine after any plane trips which would make in person interviews a huge issue. I know there are official "recommendations" that have been put out by several organizations but it looks like this program is still going forward with in-person interviews based on their page. Any other programs people have found that are still doing in person interviews?
Based on the phrasing, it doesn't seem like they have updated the page since before July 2019 since they still talk about the first class starting in July 2019, sub-I rotations "will be" offered... all of that still sounds in the future tense. Seems like they updated interview dates, but even that section otherwise doesn't appear to have been updated (" Applications will be accepted via ERAS beginning in September 2019 "), so I wouldn't take the "location" listed seriously.

Given the travel restrictions in place for a lot of schools, I would be very surprised if programs do any in-person interviews, but if you're unsure just email the PC.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on the phrasing, it doesn't seem like they have updated the page since before July 2019 since they still talk about the first class starting in July 2019, sub-I rotations "will be" offered... all of that still sounds in the future tense. Seems like they updated interview dates, but even that section otherwise doesn't appear to have been updated (" Applications will be accepted via ERAS beginning in September 2019 "), so I wouldn't take the "location" listed seriously.

Given the travel restrictions in place for a lot of schools, I would be very surprised if programs do any in-person interviews, but if you're unsure just email the PC.
This is what I was thinking but all of the dates for interviews were updated for this year. The rest of the programs on the page also explicitly state they are doing virtual interviews due to COVID but this one does not. I have already emailed to ask. Most pages I am finding make no reference to it either way so I am just assuming virtual until told otherwise.

This is what I was thinking but all of the dates for interviews were updated for this year. The rest of the programs on the page also explicitly state they are doing virtual interviews due to COVID but this one does not. I have already emailed to ask. Most pages I am finding make no reference to it either way so I am just assuming virtual until told otherwise.
As I said above, it doesn't appear they have updated anything other than the dates. So I would assume that anything else on that website is out of date.