When will Zoom Interviews End?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When will the Zoom Interviews end?

• Never, programs realize how awesome this is

Votes: 74 72.5%
  • Near future, possibly triggered by the Top 20 programs making changes

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Possibly far future when other academic institutions make changes

Votes: 15 14.7%

• Total voters

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When will residency, fellowship, and med school interviews stop being held on Zoom? When will this madness end? When I went through it I thought it was a blessing in disguise but now it's led to ballooning in applications and it deprives some people who are more sensory than others the opportunity to see, touch, and talk to people face to face.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think virtual interviews will ever go away completely for med school and residency. It's too convenient for both parties. I don't know about Fellowships.

Reactions: 4 users
If they end, it's because they'll adopt a newer/better online platform (Kira Talent is my favorite) or force you to take the other components of the Altus/Acuity Insights Suite (Snapshot, Duet). Any in-person component will complement any virtual tours or panel sessions just so you get to know the programs better.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear some programs in certain specialties have done in person this year. The good far outweighs the bad imo for virtual interviews. Optional second looks can still be done by people wanting to visit in person. I would say application caps might be a good idea, but I have a feeling AAMC is making too much from ERAS fees to incorporate that.

I hear some programs in certain specialties have done in person this year. The good far outweighs the bad imo for virtual interviews. Optional second looks can still be done by people wanting to visit in person. I would say application caps might be a good idea, but I have a feeling AAMC is making too much from ERAS fees to incorporate that.
Yeah that will never happen. They have an inherent bias to keep applications as high as possible.

Webcam interviews blunt a lot of the interpersonal interactions and small body language cues.
Hiding small body language cues would benefit the applicant. If the interviewer can't see what they are doing with their hands, feet, or facial gestures then it's a lot harder to pick up on red flags. Am I missing something here?

They're never going away, particularly for specialties that traditionally pay for accommodations for applicants. A pre-interview dinner, hotel rooms, and catering for breakfast/lunch for applicants is thousands of dollars for each group of interviewees. Zoom is free. Many programs are now doing in-person second look opportunities, but as others mentioned, zoom allows for programs to interview - and recruit - stronger applicants who may otherwise cancel.

Hiding small body language cues would benefit the applicant. If the interviewer can't see what they are doing with their hands, feet, or facial gestures then it's a lot harder to pick up on red flags. Am I missing something here?
Perhaps moreso that some applicants sit unmoving/unblinking on zoom interviews, staring a hole into the camera (or worse, their own screen) and never relax for even one second. Everyone comes across as awkward.

Reactions: 2 users
Tech is the future. It’s only going to become more and more integrated. Soon you’ll be doing interviews and making calls in VR like your boy Keanu Reeves from the hit movie Johnny Mnemonic.

F19BA10A-ECFB-4992-A08B-9414C5D22B0E.jpeg

Tech is the future. It’s only going to become more and more integrated. Soon you’ll be doing interviews and making calls in VR like your boy Keanu Reeves from the hit movie Johnny Mnemonic.

View attachment 366263
But at least you can choose to be a kawaii anime girl in VR.

You can see facial gestures on zoom. I’m not sure why you look at their feet though

Members don't see this ad :)
Virtual interviews are less expensive for everyone (programs and candidates) and I don't think they hurt candidates overall. In person optional second looks would allow candidates to visit programs if they desire. When this all started I expected it to be a disaster, and I have been happily incorrect. And it's clearly much better if we're trying to reduce our carbon footprint.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You're missing I guess that not everyone has red flags with their body language? I'm not sure what you're doing with your hands, feet, and facial gestures, but I don't see that being a hindrance to my interviewing. If anything, I'd be at an advantage relative to people who are?

Just tossing this out there, but this is a net positive for students of lower SES or no parental support.

I have some friends who have tuition, housing, vehicle payments, applications, and holiday travel all covered by parents. They could apply to 99 programs and attend 25 interviews from Hawaii to Maine, no problem.

Looking at my current budget and the current cost of flights. I would not be able to apply or interview broadly without taking out some additional private loans. Especially problematic for someone like me who would like to leave my current region and driving/train travel to interviews is not an option.

Maybe keep in-person as an option for second-looks and tours, but I'm already in a deep debt hole. Please don't make me dig further.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just tossing this out there, but this is a net positive for students of lower SES or no parental support.

I have some friends who have tuition, housing, vehicle payments, applications, and holiday travel all covered by parents. They could apply to 99 programs and attend 25 interviews from Hawaii to Maine, no problem.

Looking at my current budget and the current cost of flights. I would not be able to apply or interview broadly without taking out some additional private loans. Especially problematic for someone like me who would like to leave my current region and driving/train travel to interviews is not an option.

Maybe keep in-person as an option for second-looks and tours, but I'm already in a deep debt hole. Please don't make me dig further.
Yeah I would certainly have to take out private loans to attend the "recommended" amount of interviews next year if they were all in person. I'd much rather second-look ~3 of them.

You're missing I guess that not everyone has red flags with their body language? I'm not sure what you're doing with your hands, feet, and facial gestures, but I don't see that being a hindrance to my interviewing. If anything, I'd be at an advantage relative to people who are?
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I never implied that everyone has red flags with their body language during interviews, but did imply that some people do and it's easy to pick up on when you're sitting directly across from them. It's subtle things that you pick up on from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave which show anxiety, lack of confidence, or glaring red flags. I believe it is much more difficult to pick up on these gestures during webcam interviews which was in response to surfing doc who said that webcam interviews work against applicants more and how they come across.

I think we are stuck with them for the long haul, personally, although my personal preference is in person. At least in the FM residency world, some programs are doing some virtual + some in person, or virtual interviews + in person second look, but every one I know of is doing at least some virtual. The relevant specialty organizations are really pushing for continued exclusively virtual interviews due to the equity issues mentioned by @PathNeuroIMorFM above. And that's even considering that FM interviews are more accessible than most as they tend to cover lodging, food, transportation, etc. while you're in town. I can certainly see the benefit of virtual interviews for candidates who are struggling financially or have home/family responsibilities that are difficult to leave. It's also much, much less money and effort for our program to do virtual interviews.

Just on the small sample size of candidates I have met over zoom initially and later in person or vice versa, I think a fairly observant interviewer can still get a decent sense of the je ne sais quoi of an applicant. I'm sure there are some outliers but in my experience the people who seemed anxious or quiet or bubbly on a zoom call were still anxious or quiet or bubbly IRL.

Last edited:
Just on the small sample size of candidates I have met over zoom initially and later in person or vice versa, I think a fairly observant interviewer can still get a decent sense of the je ne sais quoi of an applicant. I'm sure there are some outliers but in my experience the people who seemed anxious or quiet or bubbly on a zoom call were still anxious or quiet or bubbly IRL.

I disagree with this, though I will admit that I haven't seen anyone interview over zoom. I know social people who are dead silent and clearly having a bad time on zoom, and quiet people who never initiate small talk in person who open up over zoom.

Hate it for advanced programs and long residencies. Love it for prelim/TY (complete waste of time and money for an interview much less a whole year).

It's never going away. It will result in that one person your program dislikes every year or two but otherwise won't meet the threshold to blow up.

I suspect zoom interviews are here to stay for good, at least in some fairly prominent capacity. The only faculty we have that really have an issue with it are the boomers but the writing is on the wall. There is even talk of doing away with in person oral boards

It has definitely changed how we approach making our rank list however, and we tend to give even more weight to home students and people who rotate with us. LORs always mattered quite a bit in surgery but they matter even more now as well from what I’ve seen in our ranking meetings.

I think we are stuck with them for the long haul, personally, although my personal preference is in person. At least in the FM residency world, some programs are doing some virtual + some in person, or virtual interviews + in person second look, but every one I know of is doing at least some virtual. The relevant specialty organizations are really pushing for continued exclusively virtual interviews due to the equity issues mentioned by @PathNeuroIMorFM above. And that's even considering that FM interviews are more accessible than most as they tend to cover lodging, food, transportation, etc. while you're in town. I can certainly see the benefit of virtual interviews for candidates who are struggling financially or have home/family responsibilities that are difficult to leave. It's also much, much less money and effort for our program to do virtual interviews.

I disagree with this, though I will admit that I haven't seen anyone interview over zoom. I know social people who are dead silent and clearly having a bad time on zoom, and quiet people who never initiate small talk in person who open up over zoom.

But those traits are not necessarily bad. Anxious, quiet, or bubbly are just individual personality traits and aren’t necessarily correlated with traits that actually matter, such as work ethic, communication skills, and perseverance.

But those traits are not necessarily bad. Anxious, quiet, or bubbly are just individual personality traits and aren’t necessarily correlated with traits that actually matter, such as work ethic, communication skills, and perseverance.
bubbly is the only positive trait you mentioned. The others are inferred to be negative traits. During an interview you have a finite amount of time to make an impression on someone and if what they remember you as is "quiet" and "anxious" I don't imagine you will be their first pick.

Didn't say they were good or bad, my point is that when I have met candidates both virtually and in person, I haven't had any big surprises and my read on their personality seems consistent, regardless of whether that's a positive or a negative

There’s a couple of fundamental issues

One: more than one person has said they personally prefer in person but think most others prefer virtual.

Second: it doesn’t address the worsening application overloading process.

Ultimately what’s the point of the interview?

I’ll venture that originally it was for the purpose of evaluating candidates. However it seems it’s leaning towards indicating which programs are interested in the candidates, which is partially the intention of the candidate proposing match algorithm. In that case, virtual interviews more than adequately serve the purpose of notifying candidates that a program is seriously considering them.

Disclaimer: My hypothesis

Waaaayyyy back when I applied, I had to use Southwest airlines “buddy passes” that they gave to pilots and cabin crew.
I worked at a hotel near their local hub so knew a bunch of them over 3 years.
Then when it came time for interviews, I mentioned to some (and some just straight up asked).
Who knows whether I would have even matched were it not for going on the interviews that I did, and get “practice” at some interviews that were last resort for me.

Now… go to local library or college, book a room, and you’re good.

The good >>>>>> bad

I was fortunate to interview for residency in person and fellowship via zoom. Zoom>>>>in person. You can inquire about 95% of the important things over zoom. The last 5% doesn’t outweigh the time and money you save.

I think it's already hard to properly evaluate candidates in a short-interview format. I think this is made even harder by the isolation and detachment of interacting as protrait-heads through computer screens.

There are tangible benefits - namely, cost - that favor the online interview format. But there are matching or overriding problems with them as well. The reduced investment of the experience incentivizes artificially inflated demand (i.e., greater applications/individual), exacerbating the work of sorting through applications and interviews. These factors promote shorter application reviews and greater reliance on virtual interviews in a positive feedback cycle. Together with the detachment that zoom interviews provide, there is a broader level of depersonalization facilitated by the whole experience that I am not sure benefits programs or applicants, particularly for smaller specialties.

i predict that they will end but not for everyone. It will likely become program or field specific and even this year we saw some programs eschew the party line of online only.

Truth is that different programs will value it differently. I can imagine a smaller program might value in person interaction to gauge fit a little more. Even more important for longer residencies. If I were PD in a place with a top tier program like Mayo Rochester, I could see some value in wanting applicants to see the small town and experience the weather a bit to sense if they would really be happy there for many years.

While I’ve never thought along these lines, the contrarian in me also has to value the potential selection bias toward candidates with financial means. Presumably such people have more resources and could be less likely to have difficulties outside of the hospital that could impact their performance.

I can also see some value is using zoom interviews as a screen, especially in a post s1 meta. Maybe quick screening structured interviews with the top 100 applicants and then narrow down to 30-40 from there that come in person.

While not feasible at scale for residency interviews, I liked fellowship interviews the best. Our had no formal application, so you just go up to prospective mentors in person at national meetings and introduce yourself. You usually sit down for 10-15 minutes someday over coffee at the meeting and talk. If you like each other then you send them a CV after the meeting and set up a visit. Then you’d go hang out for a couple days with them in clinic and the OR. Absolutely the most fun I’ve ever had interviewing, and the only time I really felt I knew each program well enough to make decisions.

While I’ve never thought along these lines, the contrarian in me also has to value the potential selection bias toward candidates with financial means. Presumably such people have more resources and could be less likely to have difficulties outside of the hospital that could impact their performance.
It seems like you have and extrapolated to the nth degree.

It seems like you have and extrapolated to the nth degree.
Well I have now and the more I think about it, this may actually be a valuable bit of selection pressure. This would be especially true in higher col areas. Selecting trainees with means and/or resourcefulness seems like a plus for the programs.

Never. And it’s not cause programs think they are awesome. What applicants shockingly don’t realize though that is works very much against them and how they come across.

Ah well…
X applicants, Y spots. I'm not sure how this could work "against" applicants at all (or programs for that matter). I guess there is less opportunity for applicants and faculty to put on their best role play of eager beaver and caring mentor. Last I checked interviews have an almost negligible effect on landing highly qualified workers (effect was something like single digit % more likely to hire someone the company was satisfied with). The amount interviews help decreases substantially when there is additional information available, particularly standardized test performance and objective graded assessments. Interviews are mostly a tool to assuage the egos of managers/faculty performing a perennial autocephalic colonoscopy. Paying $5-10K to satisfy interviewers' egos has always been a bad deal for students.
Didn't say they were good or bad, my point is that when I have met candidates both virtually and in person, I haven't had any big surprises and my read on their personality seems consistent, regardless of whether that's a positive or a negative
The only shock I have when meeting people in person after a Zoom introduction is height and general attractiveness. It's just hard to gauge that. If anything I'd think a Zoom interview could actually eliminate some bias and create more equitable outcomes.

X applicants, Y spots. I'm not sure how this could work "against" applicants at all (or programs for that matter). I guess there is less opportunity for applicants and faculty to put on their best role play of eager beaver and caring mentor. Last I checked interviews have an almost negligible effect on landing highly qualified workers (effect was something like single digit % more likely to hire someone the company was satisfied with). The amount interviews help decreases substantially when there is additional information available, particularly standardized test performance and objective graded assessments. Interviews are mostly a tool to assuage the egos of managers/faculty performing a perennial autocephalic colonoscopy. Paying $5-10K to satisfy interviewers' egos has always been a bad deal for students.

The only shock I have when meeting people in person after a Zoom introduction is height and general attractiveness. It's just hard to gauge that. If anything I'd think a Zoom interview could actually eliminate some bias and create more equitable outcomes.

What about people like me who are butt ugly on zoom....

....but also in real life?

Well I have now and the more I think about it, this may actually be a valuable bit of selection pressure. This would be especially true in higher col areas. Selecting trainees with means and/or resourcefulness seems like a plus for the programs.
Rather myopic. One can argue trainees without means have adapted to living in tough circumstances and have maturity in dealing with hardships with they may encounter at the workplace.

Resourcefulness is a skill, a rare one.

Money has a massive impact on life and performance as you advance from living on ~$25K/yr to ~$50K/yr, which is the spread from poor med student to poor resident. However, the jump from a ~$50K/yr lifestyle (rich med student) to ~$90K/yr (rich resident) just adds a bit of comfort. (These numbers for an individual without kids, of course). However, I think med school performance is the great equalizer from a PD's perspective.

During my MD/PhD, I've had to seriously step back and look at the effect that living on $25K has had on my psyche and performance. You enter a scarcity mindset when living like this for years. You spend inordinate amounts of time pinching pennies. You fail to economize your time to maximize your growth as a physician, because harder work does not translate to more money, and your current financial situation is so dire and demands more immediate attention than any shortcomings

So if two students have the same stats, but one is rich and the other poor, only one of those students is going to significantly improve their life in residency. The rich one goes from a $50K/yr lifestyle to an $80K/yr lifestyle and might get a bit more comfortable, but the poor one is going from a $25K/yr lifestyle to $50K/yr. This jump buys time and privacy. I'd bet on the resourcefulness of the poorer student.

• Love
So if two students have the same stats, but one is rich and the other poor, only one of those students is going to significantly improve their life in residency. The rich one goes from a $50K/yr lifestyle to an $80K/yr lifestyle and might get a bit more comfortable, but the poor one is going from a $25K/yr lifestyle to $50K/yr. This jump buys time and privacy. I'd bet on the resourcefulness of the poorer student.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about folks being unable to live in NYC on resident salary (PGY1 avg being ~75k there). It's true, NYC has a housing cost problem, but I've lived there in very commutable distances from some of the major hospitals there on less than half that. These folks either 1) used to a higher standard of living and/or 2) come from areas that 'require' them to live in the more desirable areas of a city. These folks are going to have a tougher time unless they're being subsidized by family or spouses.

Fortunately, I don’t do residency interviews except for the random PSTP interview but I am required to do fellowship interviews. The fellowship (while it used to be anyone with a pulse) is becoming more competitive. That, along with everything becoming pass/fail, means little discriminates applicants. It all comes down to interviews. So the bolded is not my experience. And since virtual interviews are by nature, impersonal… well, I have never seen it help an applicant. I also don't get paid to interview that comment literally make no sense unless you are referring to interviewees to pay to travel.

Another thing that I didn’t mention is that virtual interviews lead to tourism interviewees whose only purpose is to waste everyone time but theirs. I value my time more than that though.

Last edited:
I think it would be truly unfortunate if programs thought this way, and they would miss out on a lot of talent.

I think VIs help to bridge the financial inequality gap. Programs have likely lost excellent fits to their programs in the past due to the inability to pay for travel and lodging.

Another thing that I didn’t mention is that virtual interviews lead to tourism interviewees whose only purpose is to waste everyone time but theirs.
This. Like many trends, early adoption of a new thing coincides with everyone enjoying the benefits. Eventually, however, the drawbacks will become more apparent (and annoying).

The story right now is that a minority of highly qualified applicants are soaking up an extremely disproportionate number of interviews. This has always happened to some extent, but nowadays it's not unheard of for someone to do 30-40+ VIs, so the effect is amplified. When programs get tired of this dynamic, which results in most of them going further down their rank lists to fill, there may be a return to in-person events.