In private practice thinking of fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohmeda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm currently in private practice in general anesthesia and have been playing around with the idea of going back to do a fellowship in pain medicine. My question is this: is there anyone in this forum who has traveled this road? How do program directors perceive applicants who are currently in practice? How feasible is this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I'm currently in private practice in general anesthesia and have been playing around with the idea of going back to do a fellowship in pain medicine. My question is this: is there anyone in this forum who has traveled this road? How do program directors perceive applicants who are currently in practice? How feasible is this?

My associate has and he said that the perception was good. If you want to practice pain the right way, do the fellowship.

I think your chances are decent and by all means go for it but you'll have to cast a wide net because it is competitive. You certainly have to be prepared for the obligatory " why are you changing from gen anesthesiology" questions just like anybody else making a post-residency specialty change. Also, all of your exam/board scores are now fair game for programs to evaluate. You'll be competing with current residents of a program who have an inside track because they're already known (and presumably liked) by the fellowship directors.

I think your chances are decent and by all means go for it but you'll have to cast a wide net because it is competitive. You certainly have to be prepared for the obligatory " why are you changing from gen anesthesiology" questions just like anybody else making a post-residency specialty change. Also, all of your exam/board scores are now fair game for programs to evaluate. You'll be competing with current residents of a program who have an inside track because they're already known (and presumably liked) by the fellowship directors.
YEs and be prepared to be essentially a "resident" again. I'm sure that will be diffcult for somene that was in PP.