In-State Admissions Benefits

Started by evansh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

evansh

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the sake of admissions (not tuition), how long do you have to reside in a state to be considered an IS applicant? I'm moving from NJ to OH in a month, and I'm applying to public schools (2016 cycle) in each. I understand that it's usually takes a year to declare residency for lower tuition, but I don't know if admissions preference is the same policy, or if I'll be considered IS immediately when I update my address.
 
Varies per state. Google what the process is for establishing residency in Ohio , you may or may not have to wait until after first year to qualify
 
It varies by state, but the general rule of thumb is 12 months of residency with attempts to establish domicile - getting an OH license, registering to vote/voting in OH, etc...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You also generally have to be in the state for non-educational purposes and exhibit gainful employment of some sort.