In-state friendly school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruvuitton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So recently, I saw this point system used by UND medical school that uses certain amount of points to rank the applicants based on how long they've been living in that state.

http://und.edu/dept/hpadvize/UNDSMHS Admissions Point System.pdf

You can see that here, they give 50 points for people who have been living in ND for 1-5 years, 75 pts for people who've lived over 5 years, and 100 points for long term residents for ND high school graduates.

I was wondering, do most in-state friendly schools factor in how long their applicants have been living in that state as part of admissions?? I mean, technically the applicants are all ND residents, but cutting the points by a half because they've been living in that state less than 5 years? Phew, that's harsh.
Personally, I'll be applying to Florida schools as a Florida resident, but I've only lived here for two years. But after seeing this, I'm a bit scared now. lol

Members don't see this ad.

So recently, I saw this point system used by UND medical school that uses certain amount of points to rank the applicants based on how long they've been living in that state.

http://und.edu/dept/hpadvize/UNDSMHS Admissions Point System.pdf

You can see that here, they give 50 points for people who have been living in ND for 1-5 years, 75 pts for people who've lived over 5 years, and 100 points for long term residents for ND high school graduates.

I was wondering, do most in-state friendly schools factor in how long their applicants have been living in that state as part of admissions?? I mean, technically the applicants are all ND residents, but cutting the points by a half because they've been living in that state less than 5 years? Phew, that's harsh.
Personally, I'll be applying to Florida schools as a Florida resident, but I've only lived here for two years. But after seeing this, I'm a bit scared now. lol

Many schools have no preference whether you are a resident or not, while others such as University of Colorado, as i am a resident of Colorado, have preference toward in state residents. This of course should not discourage you to apply out of state to schools with preference to instate.

I, however have never seen this "resident point system" used before.

As long as your a resident, you should be fine. But i have no knowledge on whether Florida schools have preference on residents or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools favor in-state students.
All public schools favor in state residents to varying degrees. Most private schools end up with a disproportionate share of in-state matriculants due to regional preferences of the applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Public schools that receive funding from their state legislatures tend to favor instate applicants. (Edit: It doesn't even have to be a majority of their funding, for some schools with larger endowments, the funding from their respective state legislatures is as low as 7% sometimes and they still have a preference for instate applicants.)

Read school websites carefully that you're interested in, they'll usually have an FAQ of some sort explaining any preference for instate applicants versus out-of-state applicants.