In-state school not top choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

carcharias

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it'll be a little while until I will actually apply to vet school (still in the process of taking pre-reqs), but I'm looking into possible schools now and researching requirements, etc. My in-state school right now would be UPenn, which is a good school, but it's not anywhere near the top choice of where I would like to go. Do people apply to their in-state school because it is their in-state school even if it is not one they want to go to? Is it even worth it to apply? (I know I might change my mind after taking some of the classes I need to take, and once I get closer to applying, but I was just wondering this as I start this whole long process and thought I'd throw out the question).


(On the aside, I started my shadowing today and it was awesome and so interesting. I didn't do much yet, just mostly observed, but there was so much information to absorb and so much to see and ask about, I only wished I could've stayed longer!)
 
My in-state school right now would be UPenn, which is a good school, but it's not anywhere near the top choice of where I would like to go. Do people apply to their in-state school because it is their in-state school even if it is not one they want to go to?

Would you go to your in-state school if it were the only one you were accepted at? Or would you rather wait another year to apply to your other out-of-state options? How many years would you be willing to wait?

What are your tops choices? Have you looked into their acceptance rates for OOS students? Also have you considered the relative costs of OOS schools versus your own Upenn?
 
I applied to my instate school even though it was not my top choice. I had already decided if it was the only place I got in, I would go there. Generally you in state is your best shot and is a bit of a waste to throw away the chance, but you have to decide if you would be ok going there if it ended up being your only choice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sometimes OOS is cheaper than some of the IS. However, as someone mentioned, look at the percentage of OOS admitted...and what the statistics are for that population...it may be higher than IS.

The simple answer is; if you applied everywhere that you wanted to, and you only got into your IS, would you attend your IS? If not, don't bother applying. If so, apply. If you have a really strong preference for a school, consider relocating and establishing residency (as defined by the state and school) before applying. It is a drastic measure, but can be worthwhile if you have a strong preference or costs are extremly different.
 
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to go to Penn. Don't like Philly? (I hear you on that one). Since you have about a 1 in 5 shot at Penn which is probably better than you'll have anywhere out of state I think you owe yourself a visit and a tour - otherwise how will you really know?
 
I think you owe yourself a visit and a tour - otherwise how will you really know?

Seconded so much!

have you visited the schools that are your top choice and visited your IS? It can make all the difference - my IS used to be my last choice, and I was going to pick it simply due to finances, but when I went to the accepted students day and actually visited the campus, it shot up to number one. Paper tells you nothing about the environment.

Good luck!
 
Penn is also my in-state, and at first I was equally as hesitant about going there just because I have always been in the mindset of living in new places, away from home (go to an undergrad school across the country). However, Penn is an outstanding vet school, and ranked as one of the top 5 (although I suppose it's worth taking those rankings with a grain of salt). You have a 25% chance of getting in as in-state vs. around 5% chance out of state (this is just pure numbers that I calculated from their website saying how many in-state vs. out of state applied and were accepted). Also, in-state tuition for Penn is slightly cheaper than being out of state at other places (to give you an idea: Penn IS tuition is $33,000 and OOS is $41,560; Cornell and Tufts OOS is $39,500; Colorado State OOS is $45,000). So tuition isn't a hugely convincing factor, but the extra $6-12,000 a year adds up.

If I ended up at Penn, I'd be living right near where I grew up, which is a bit of an irksome idea for me, and I'm kind of sick of living in big cities. However, I would be very pleased to attend Penn if it were the only school I got into, and I think that's the most important thing to ask yourself.
 
If I got into Penn and nowehere else, I would go there because I wouldn't want to wait any longer. And I I'd be okay with going there--I don't think I'd hate that it was where I was going, but I wouldn't be excited (at least at this point). But if I could choose where I could go (that'd be great wouldn't it?), I wouldn't go there (right now, but I haven't visited it or any other schools). Right now it's number 6 of 6 I'm thinking of applying to, which doesn't mean it's not a great school, just for me it's not top choice. It's also still very far away from home, so it's not like the choice is dependent on having friends and family close. (I'm orginally a CA resident and relocated to PA for school and now a resident of that state). Also, some of the other schools I'm interested in I could apply for in-state after a year (I could for tuition be considered in-state for Davis), so it might end up being cheaper in the long run at an OOS if that happens.

Like I said, I'm still a ways off from applying, I'm just preparing now and looking at options. Once I get closer I plan on visiting schools. Who knows, Penn might jump to #1 after a visit. I think I don't really want to go there because I haven't had a great response so far from the admissions people I contacted and just don't get a great "vibe" from it. But it could change once I visit. I know the undergrad I went to was my last, last choice of the schools I applied to and the only one I got into, so of course I went, and ended up loving it. So you never know. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on the subject as I weigh options. Thank you all for your responses.
 
I found the admissions committee, staff, and students at Penn to be very very nice. While I've gotten the ... ivy league vibe from some of the other programs and non-vet students I've encountered since moving here, the vet school itself has been very welcoming and down to earth.

Would you be considered in state for Davis admissions, or just the tuition? It is really hard to get into Davis as an out of state applicant. Not saying you couldn't, but make sure you look carefully at the percentage of out of state applicants accepted at various schools if you want to go out of state - some accept barely anyone out of state and might not be worth applying to.
 
I think it's just the one admissions person I've been corresponding with (to make sure I'm getting the pre-reqs and registering for the right classes, etc). They haven't been too nice in answering my questions (while the other schools have been very helpful and nice). This is not to say the students and faculty and other people at the school are not nice and helpful, just this one so far. 😡

I haven't looked at whether I'd be considered in state for Davis yet (working on it, like everything else). They've been real slow in responding to emails (and I'd rather email so I have a paper trail than call). I'll keep trying and looking into this.

Thanks.
 
I think it's just the one admissions person I've been corresponding with (to make sure I'm getting the pre-reqs and registering for the right classes, etc). They haven't been too nice in answering my questions (while the other schools have been very helpful and nice). This is not to say the students and faculty and other people at the school are not nice and helpful, just this one so far. 😡

I haven't looked at whether I'd be considered in state for Davis yet (working on it, like everything else). They've been real slow in responding to emails (and I'd rather email so I have a paper trail than call). I'll keep trying and looking into this.

Thanks.

I posted the PDF of the UC Davis residency form over here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8388809#post8388809 if that helps any. I think you can maybe qualify if you went to HS in CA and a few other scenarios. I think that form explains them all. Good luck.
 
UPenn is also my in-state, and it was lowest on my list of preferred schools. I did apply since I would've been THRILLED to be accepted anywhere and had a higher chance of being accepted to UPenn since I was instate. After being accepted at Iowa (which I absolutely LOVED) I got an invitation to interview at UPenn, and I went.

I think it's a good idea to apply and keep an open mind. I found that I actually liked UPenn's campus much more than I thought I would, and while I ultimately chose Iowa anyway, I know that I made my decision without false prejudices.

Apply, keep an open mind, try your hardest at interviews and essays. You never know where life will take you.
 
I posted the PDF of the UC Davis residency form over here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8388809#post8388809 if that helps any. I think you can maybe qualify if you went to HS in CA and a few other scenarios. I think that form explains them all. Good luck.

:hijacked:
Sorry to totally hijack the thread... indeed this PDF does indicate that if you attended HS for 3 or 4 years in CA you may qualify for an exemption for nonresident tuition. Does anybody know if this means that you would still apply OOS and then if you got accepted you could possible get an exemption, or would you be applying IS? But then, you can only apply IS at one school, right?

This was the first glimmer of a thought that maybe I shouldn't consider UC Davis. Davis is a place I would LOVE to go, but not only do I fear that I wouldn't be a competitive applicant there (at least OOS), the tuition for anywhere but IS is giving me fits to even think about!

Maybe I should go look at their website more carefully... and think about checking that box on VMCAS...
 
Does anybody know if this means that you would still apply OOS and then if you got accepted you could possible get an exemption, or would you be applying IS? But then, you can only apply IS at one school, right?

I was actually looking this information up yesterday. I grew up in Nebraska, went to high school there, etc., but I'm currently living in PA (and the thought of having to pay $30k+ as IS makes me rather nervous). ISU gives Nebraska applicants 25 spots on their vet school program. The VMCAS application says that you can only use one state as your residency, but that if you'd like to claim residency in two states, you'd have to talk directly to the admissions office of the school you're applying to. So it looks like there may be some wiggle room... it just depends on the school/state.
 
:hijacked:
Sorry to totally hijack the thread... indeed this PDF does indicate that if you attended HS for 3 or 4 years in CA you may qualify for an exemption for nonresident tuition. Does anybody know if this means that you would still apply OOS and then if you got accepted you could possible get an exemption, or would you be applying IS? But then, you can only apply IS at one school, right?

This was the first glimmer of a thought that maybe I shouldn't consider UC Davis. Davis is a place I would LOVE to go, but not only do I fear that I wouldn't be a competitive applicant there (at least OOS), the tuition for anywhere but IS is giving me fits to even think about!

Maybe I should go look at their website more carefully... and think about checking that box on VMCAS...

I don't know how to answer your question specifically, but just wanted to say that for UC Davis, after one year you can apply for in-state residency and therefore pay in-state tuition for years 2-4. I haven't applied yet, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I've been given to understand that it's no problem to be recategorized. You just have to do things like change your driver's license, register to vote, use your Davis address as your permanent address, and a few other things.

That's a good reminder for me that I really need to get on applying for my change of residency status with Davis. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
definitely take a tour. dont apply somewhere where you think you might be unhappy. i didnt apply to western because i knew that IF i got accepted, i wouldnt want to go.

but i know some people that applied there as their 'backup' school (thinking it was easier b/c it was their instate school and they know people with 2.0 gpa that got in) and didn't even get in.

when you look at your list of schools, think "would i be happy living in that area or learning the way that they teach".

good luck!!
 
but i know some people that applied there as their 'backup' school (thinking it was easier b/c it was their instate school and they know people with 2.0 gpa that got in) and didn't even get in.

If they were applying to Western because it was "in-state" for them they were sorely misled. 😉

(Western gives no preference to CA residents)
 
when you look at your list of schools, think "would i be happy living in that area or learning the way that they teach".

good luck!!


I kind of disagree. I think its better to ask yourself "Would I be unhappy living in that area or learning the way that they teach." If the answer is that you would definitely be unhappy, then don't apply. If you are unsure, then give it a shot and apply. If you get an interview it will give you a chance to see the school and make a more educated decision at that point. If you find you hate it, you can withdraw you app at that point.

When interviews start rolling around and you find you are passed up for some of your definite happy schools, you may find that those middle iffy schools start becoming more and more appealing.

I feel like it was Randy Pausch in his last lecture speech who talked about how in hindsight you will be happier with what you end up with. If you decide to attend what was once a B-list school in your mind, you will start to like it more because its where you are. In your mind you will start to think more of it, and less of the A-list schools you held more highly regarded in the past. (His analogy was with a painting). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

So don't close doors!
 
i got that book that talks about all the vet schools, it's basically everything that you'd see in the vmcas site.
http://www.amazon.com/Veterinary-Medical-School-Admission-Requirements/dp/1557534721


DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Into-Vete...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248624386&sr=8-1


its ******ed cuz it talks about how you can never go to community college because those classes dont count.


anyway, with the first book, i read it with my sister, read the population and the city information and i looked at what pre-reqs i have already completed and what pre-reqs i could still accomplish before graduating
 
The second book you mentioned actually does give some really good insights from an ad com. Take everything with a grain of salt, since admissions changes year to year and differ between schools, but it really does help to see your application from the other side's perspective. It helped me read through my app and say 'this may be seen as fluff' and 'I should include this, even though I don't feel it is important, because it gives some pertinent background to the random person who might end up reading this.'

If I didn't send it to another applicant, I will have to look at it again. I don't remember the comments about community college, but since I am a non trad without cc, I may not have looked.
 
I am not going to my in state school, but when i applied it was one of my top choices. While visiting and doing more in depth research on schools I got into, I discovered that my in-state, while a GREAT school, was not a GREAT school for me, and I decided to go to Tufts which was a better fit. I would suggest applying to your in state school, having a degree from UPenn would look great for any further internships or residencies you might like to go in to... but if you dont want to go there and would be un happy going there then don't apply. Do research on all the schools you apply to (a really nice torture tool while waiting for letters to arrive) and make a final decision should you have a couple choices laid out in front of you... It may surprise you as to the decision you make, I sure as heck surprised myself when I decided Tufts, but haven't uestioned it or looked back on that decision yet, and it has actually been confirmed to me many times over that it was the right decision...

All I can say it do heavy research on the schools... go do tours if possible... talk to current students at the school and what their opinion is on their experience... 🙂 good luck!
 
:hijacked:
Does anybody know if this means that you would still apply OOS and then if you got accepted you could possible get an exemption, or would you be applying IS? But then, you can only apply IS at one school, right?

So... I was totally in this mess a little while ago, until I decided to finally give up my Cali residency altogether.

I grew up in MA, then moved to CA in 8th grade and finished high school there. I came back to MA for college. I kept calling and calling Davis about this little tuition loophole, and whether I can consider myself a CA resident for Admissions purposes and not just for Tuition purposes. Davis Vet admissions told me they couldn't answer any residency questions because only the residency officer was allowed to answer them. The residency officer told me that all they cared about was residency for tuition purposes (which I clearly qualified for). They kept telling me to call vet admissions who still refused to answer.

So then, I realized that I had two choices:

1.) Apply as a CA resident for all my schools and take my chances (Davis may or may not consider me a resident in which case I'd be screwed because I wouldn't be a resident of ANY state)

2.) Apply as a MA resident for all my schools and forget about Davis, but hey at least I'd be considered in-state for Tufts.

There's actually a third choice, but I think it's a bad bad bad idea, and I think it's ethically corrupt for anyone to even consider it... and that was to apply to Tufts as MA resident (since it's not VMCAS), and also to apply to all the VMCAS schools (and hence Davis) as a CA resident. Tisk Tisk to anyone who would do such a thing! I just wanted to bring it up in case someone were to suggest it.

I decided to take option #2. I know in-state tuition for Davis is MUCH cheaper than in-state tuition for Tufts... but I decided that wouldn't even matter if I didn't get into any school... I may actually still just submit an app to Davis for the hell of it, but I've given up on the idea. I like the East Coast muuuuch better than Cali anyway!
 
There's actually a third choice, but I think it's a bad bad bad idea, and I think it's ethically corrupt for anyone to even consider it... and that was to apply to Tufts as MA resident (since it's not VMCAS), and also to apply to all the VMCAS schools (and hence Davis) as a CA resident. Tisk Tisk to anyone who would do such a thing! I just wanted to bring it up in case someone were to suggest it.

It's not unethical if you can truly claim dual residency. For example, as I stated above, I can claim PA residency since I currently live in PA; but I can also claim Nebraska residency (NE is a contract state for ISU) since I went to high school there--I checked on the Nebraska Residency form, and that's all they consider when deciding on a student's residency status. I will, however, bring it up to the schools in question just to make sure I'm not overstepping my boundaries, but I don't think I will have any issues.