'In the Area' emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusHabs7695

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to have received an interview invitation to a school in the Midwest, approximately 13 hrs away from home. Having applied to a handful of schools in the Midwest, I was considering sending an In the Area email to those schools. Im posting this message to get feedback from people who have sent these emails before or have any knowledge on the topic. Wondering if anyone has ever had success with them, harmed your application status, or usually have no impact and the school cant accommodate.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools don't mind them, others ignore or reject. There isn't a list anywhere that I've seen. Start by reviewing each school's website, then check the school-specific forum here (last year's might be more helpful than this year's). If you can't find any information at all, I'd try a phone call or email.

I was fortunate enough to have received an interview invitation to a school in the Midwest, approximately 13 hrs away from home. Having applied to a handful of schools in the Midwest, I was considering sending an In the Area email to those schools. Im posting this message to get feedback from people who have sent these emails before or have any knowledge on the topic. Wondering if anyone has ever had success with them, harmed your application status, or usually have no impact and the school cant accommodate.

Thanks in advance!

If I live in northern California and I want to send an in-the-area email to a school in southern California is that weird given that 500 miles is less than a day drive away but it's still kind of far.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I live in northern California and I want to send an in-the-area email to a school in southern California is that weird given that 500 miles is less than a day drive away but it's still kind of far.
That's weird.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean if you have an interview at other school in the area, then sure let them know. But if you have no interview, I don't see how it would expedite anything

What about telling an MD school you are in the area for a DO school?
I have an interview at AZCOM oct 16th and I am from the Midwest.
Would it be worth a shot sending UA Tucson an email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What about telling an MD school you are in the area for a DO school?
I have an interview at AZCOM oct 16th and I am from the Midwest.
Would it be worth a shot sending UA Tucson an email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I dont see the need to say if its a DO or MD interview. I just simply said "I'll be in the area for an interview"

Just sauced out like 6 emails, hopefully hear some news soon and keep everyone updated.

upload_2017-9-3_19-11-37.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance!
READ THE SCHOOLS WEBSITES. Sometimes they clearly state that they do NOT accept them, and no offense, you nor any other applicant is special enough to ask for it! If they say no, that means no!

However, if the medical school doesn't say anything specific about it, go for it. Worst comes to worst they e-mail you back no. Chances are they'll just ignore your message. Best situation they review you since you'll be in the area and decide if you're worthy or not.

P.S.: I'm still rooting for you. While we did have a heated discussion on your WAMC thread, glad to see the sub 509s kicking butt this cycle. Maybe us New Yorkers are just that awesome #NewYorkitude

I wouldn't do it even if the school says to do so, just my opinion because you said the "Midwest." Maybe I will email only if I am I applied to multiple school in the same state, not same region.