In the end, was it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1097413

I’m sure there’s been a million versions of this thread. But need a new fresh take on it.

4 years of undergrad, 4 years of pod school, 3 year residency.

Was it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. I love what I do for a living. Not many people can say that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you pay $250k to make $250k (or more) per year? Of course you would.
It would be worth twice that, possibly more. So, there is your answer. Done.

...podiatry is enjoyable, but it is just a skill. I get a lot of satisfaction from the work (most days) and help a lot of people, but you still have to have your hobbies, goals, pursuits. The work and the money is just a vehicle to get to more of what really matters. It is a slippery slope to have your career (or your woman) be your calling in life, your socialization, your main source of significance, etc. Don't be one of those guys. The best thing to do is shadow as many DPMs as you can and see if it's for you.

Remember Jack and the beanstalk? Harp, goose, and princess... right? For the vast majority of folks, the harp (calling/passion) is not the same as your goose that lays the golden eggs (vocation or ability to make money). Even if what makes the money is a passion (pro athlete, musician, video game design, etc), it won't always be that way. Podiatry is simply the goose... and a pretty good one.

To do well financially, you need a valuable skill (ie, podiatry), and you need budgeting and investments (stocks, real estate, whatever). If you want to reach RFR, you want a scalable business (multiple podiatry PP offices, restaurants, gas stations, hotels, car dealerships, etc) and/or work up to some very big investing deals. Most people don't reach those scalability or big investing levels, obviously. You will do fine with a valuable skill, and budget+investing.

Reactions: 3 users
The pros and cons of podiatry on this forum are accurate.

For at least 75 percent it is a great career that provides a nice lifestyle.

For about 25 percent it can be a struggle either initially or long term and might not have been worth it. We can argue the percentages.

Right now for many MD specialties, PAs, RNs, CRNAs, NPs etc there are just so many good job openings that go unfilled in most job markets. It is not like that for podiatry. It is more difficult, but not impossible, to get that great first job. You might have to be a bit more open geographically to where you will live or a be a bit more of an entrepreneur.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think most people above are hitting truths. I've definitely had worse jobs. I do feel fulfilled/help people and at times its reasonably lucrative. I'm finally approaching the point where I will receive the financial benefit I've been waiting for. I do worry at times about the future ie. negative payor trends.

If you put my job down on paper without in any way taking into account the past then I'm a person making six-figures with a 401k and health insurance and honestly pretty cushy hours. I don't see critically ill people. I'm never in the emergency room or the ICU (ugh). I send all of my OR patients home same day. I haven't taken off much time in the past, but I intend to take more time off in the future. For all the talk on the med forums about making big money as a hospitalist - ugh. I'll take outpatient medicine all day. For the majority of my patients I am the person they should be seeing ie. I'm not a referral machine - I solve problems or I know exactly the referral they need.

I think I put in a pretty reasonable amount of suffering to get here. I would not include undergrad in that suffering. I made great friends in college. Watched a lot of football. Drank some beers. Met my wife. I suppose theoretically I could have spent those 4 years starting a plumbing business but college isn't the part of my life I'd change.

There's still a lot of landmines for podiatrists along the path. Whenever I read someone saying they are still an associate after 5-7 years I cringe a bit. I like I can't be fired and that I know where I'm going to be.

Its not a bad place to land, but it won't work out for everyone. The simple truth is the schools should graduate 100 less students. There would be a lot more opportunities. The Texas school is not going to help us.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, agree with all posters above me whom are much wiser and more experienced than me. Common denominator - you need to put in the hard work to reach this level. Nothing more satisfying than docs in my MSG seeing me to solve their foot/ankle issues. At least I’m doing something right for my patients too.

I’m sure there’s been a million versions of this thread. But need a new fresh take on it.

4 years of undergrad, 4 years of pod school, 3 year residency.

Was it worth it?
I will be in the minority and say now it was not. I have only had great jobs on paper. Well paid jobs with good benefits. My issue is I do not enjoy surgery as much other people on here. I am looking to transition out of podiatry/surgery in the next 5 years.

Unpopular opinion incoming...

Podiatry is only worth it if you land a civilian hospital, VA hospital, ortho or MSG job where they treat you like a physician and give you benefits. The pay can be variable depending on the geographic region but overall is enough to support your family.

Working for another podiatrist is my definition of a living hell. I've never seen a private practice contract that rivaled a hospital contract. Majority of my colleagues who work in private practice with another DPM hate their jobs and lives. Private practice podiatry owners are a different breed of human and greed. Just don't do it to yourself.

How do you avoid working for another podiatrist?

- Work your butt off in school (the top 10%)
- Be a great extern and land a strong residency program that will give you the skills to be a great podiatrist in the OR and in the clinic
- You need be able to do EVERYTHING (toenails to TARs) BUT be ok with only doing certain procedures if the hospital politics dictate that (ortho)
- Get board certified as quickly as possible (makes you a stronger candidate for hospital jobs)
- Learn how to interview (crucial for landing hospital positions since there is a lot of competition)
- Apply broadly (do not fall in love with one geographic region)
- Cold call every hospital you are interested in working for like you are the podiatrist version of Jerry Maguire

Reactions: 8 users
Private practice podiatry owners are a different breed of human and greed. Just don't do it to yourself.

Get greedy and work for yourself. Glad I am not having to put down the lot number of my injections or get cowardly when a drink is visible in a clinical area when JCAHO/state rolls around.

For me, yes it's been worth it, especially given my family's humble roots. I have a six figure income, excellent hours, and relatively low stress. When I was employed by others I absolutely hated life. I now am my own boss so that makes a huge difference. I think that having some control, or at least feeling like you have control, over your fate can lead to better satisfaction (applies not only to podiatry). I take as much time off as I want and decide what my schedule looks like. I do only the work I want and farm out the stuff I don't want. I feel like I'm making a positive impact on those who I treat. My work feels meaningful.

Podiatry is just a means to an end. Started off with a hospital job in a large system, and I am now about to transition into a MSG. My call is kind of a joke now (dead foot patrol) but I will not have any within a few months. Made great money with benefits, but am looking forward to having some skin in the game.
We are going to break ground on a new building and I will be able to invest into the MSG and their property in two years. I have saved a good bunch of money and I am looking for a way out of toe-hell.
I started off surgery hungry and now I just do not care...maybe I see it as more of a hassle.
However, I'm not sure what else I could be doing where I make as much and have the lifestyle that I do have.
Would I do it again? I kind of started later in life, I would if I could start when I was fresh out of college, but not late 20's again - I feel like I wasted a decade

Reactions: 5 users
From a purely financial perspective, I think Podiatry is hard to recommend. Certainly you could enter the workforce much earlier and with much less debt and still make a very good living (engineer, comp sci, tech). Even as a medical specialty, 4 years undergrad + 4 years pod school +3 years residency is a HUGE commitment for the real chance of making less than 100k when you graduate not to mention that you are putting in MD/DO levels of time and education without the same guarantees at the end of the tunnel. I know private practice can be an option but I just don't think most people want to do that and would prefer going W2 instead. I think Podiatry is a safer bet if you are committed to opening and running your own practice before you even apply and spend time learning how to start that process like maybe finding a mentor or something.

Of course my school spent 4 years telling us non-stop that it is completely impossible to open up a private practice anymore so I'm sure that may have discouraged some people from doing so. Makes you wonder if they were getting kickbacks from private practice pods to keep competition light and keep the steady stream of underpaid associates going?

Anyways. No, it wasn't worth it for me. But I do enjoy my current job far more than my last one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I read someone saying they are still an associate after 5-7 years I cringe a bit.
This!!!!!

Nothing wrong with starting out as an associate because majority of new grad pods (including myself) first job will be working for another podiatrist making horrible pay. But then you have yourself to blame if you're still working for the same podiatrist 5-7 years later making ****ty pay with the promise of a better future.

Most hospital, ortho, MSG and VA jobs want someone with experience. So if new grads are somehow landing this lucrative gigs fresh out of residency with no experience and you are an associate for 5 years or more with experience then it's nobody's fault. Eventually you have to grab the bull by his horns.

Makes you wonder if they were getting kickbacks from private practice pods to keep competition light and keep the steady stream of underpaid associates going?
Guilty. I'm buying a new yacht this year with my kickback money.

• Haha
Guilty. I'm buying a new yacht this year with my kickback money.

Lol

Yeah, I guess I was being a little over the top. Life could certainly be far worse.

There is something very cathartic about complaining to strangers on the internet though.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally myself, yes I would 100% do it again. I make good money, live a good life, and I enjoy what I do.

Hmm it’s easier now to say it’s worth it because I am one of the few grads that got a good gig/salary right after residency.. but if I had landed an associate position I would say it’s not worth it. I sacrificed a lot to get my first current job at the VA since its not in an ideal location and am away from friends/family but I wanted to get my foot into the VA system and maybe in the future it’ll be easier to get another VA/IHS gig elsewhere. I have a lot of loans and I enjoy traveling so working as an associate making 100-120k with calls and wkds would be very depressing. Finding your ideal job/high salary position is not easy for pods compared to other health professions. Its always greener on the other side. I dont see myself doing anything else other than practicing medicine. I wouldn’t be making 200k or more in another field esp with my bachelors. In podiatry you just have to make some sacrifices if you want to make a decent living I think..

Unpopular opinion incoming...

Podiatry is only worth it if you land a civilian hospital, VA hospital, ortho or MSG job where they treat you like a physician and give you benefits. The pay can be variable depending on the geographic region but overall is enough to support your family.

Working for another podiatrist is my definition of a living hell. I've never seen a private practice contract that rivaled a hospital contract. Majority of my colleagues who work in private practice with another DPM hate their jobs and lives. Private practice podiatry owners are a different breed of human and greed. Just don't do it to yourself.

This is not an unpopular opinion at all. 99% of advertised private practice jobs are pure unadulterated garbage.

I’m sort of your non-traditional pod, but TLDR, it was worth it thus far.

Podiatry is a second career for me. Got out of undergrad and worked as a sales rep in the booze industry. It was an OK job fresh out of school and free booze all the time was cool, but unless you wanted to spend decades in middle management hell, there was a ceiling on how well I could actually do with it. Toward the end, I developed a seething hatred for working a corporate job, so jumped ship looking for a new career where I could someday be my own boss. On a personal level, I never though I was smart enough to be a doctor but kind of had a come-to-Jesus moment and realized I’d been selling myself short for most of my life. Decided to do a medical specialty of some sort. Initially wanted to do dentistry, but it’s boring and routine unless you specialize. And you can’t specialize unless you’re top 5% in dentistry, so I realized it was unrealistic. Came across podiatry and actually liked the variety of patients, demographics, and cases within the field compared to routine cleanings and route canals all day long.

Finishing residency, and locked up a job within the last few months. I’m happy with where I’m at. It sure as hell beats making around $50k for years until you hit middle management in a corporate job and then you have to kiss ass for decades playing golf and corporate grabass hoping to climb some good-ol-boy ladder.

Someone else above said that they wish that they had done this track at a younger age. I’ve had that though a few times, as it is easier to learn things in your twenties compared to your thirties. However, I’m glad I got to get my twenties, drinking and partying out of the way and I could settle down and focus on a real career. Also I’ve seen co-residents in their twenties who have never had a real job before with no real life experience absolutely struggle once they get past academia and into the real world where a timeline and what to do isn’t handed to you anymore. I think real world experience is priceless before you go into medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
Right now for many MD specialties, PAs, RNs, CRNAs, NPs etc there are just so many good job openings that go unfilled in most job markets. It is not like that for podiatry. It is more difficult, but not impossible, to get that great first job. You might have to be a bit more open geographically to where you will live or a be a bit more of an entrepreneur.

As a current podiatry student reading how the job-market is / less of a treatment we're receiving as "physicians" and on-going issues with parity is super depressing. It's funny how majority of my classmates and students that are not in the know of what really is going on out there after residency / graduation. The students that are in the "know" including myself are conflicted whether to drop out to re-apply MD/DO, stick with graduating but jumping ships to PA (more scope of practice than DPM it seems like these days), or sucking it up to make a best of their career in podiatry...

The students that are in the "know" including myself are conflicted whether to drop out to re-apply MD/DO, stick with graduating but jumping ships to PA (more scope of practice than DPM it seems like these days), or sucking it up to make a best of their career in podiatry...

Depending on the year you are in, if you are truly unhappy with the profession so far, I would suggest dropping out now and doing something else that you may like. There is no point making yourself miserable while in school and then during residency.

If you have already started IMO it is probably not worth dropping out for a PA program, unless you are very geographically restricted for jobs or did not do due diligence and research podiatry and do not like it. As an alternative to this career option from the start, then sure it is an option......mainly the benefit of keeping debt low/start fairy high salary, with low ceiling, but lots of job opportunities.

If you really think you would like MD/DO more, then you can apply. You will have more choices and even more loan repayment options with MD/DO. Usually 1 top student per class does this and jumps ship. Usually about 1 former MD/DO student joins per class in my experience also, not necessarily someone failing out, but usually not a top student either.

True story....I know of someone that finished vet school, then finished med school, then became an orthodontist and likes it and is doing OK now. His family is not wealthy so no clue how he got all the loans.

Do what makes you happy and pays the bills. If lots of debt with your podiatry education, I highly recommend remaining geographically open for your training and your first job.

It is not all doom and gloom, but there are many other fields in medicine that are booming so to speak. In the end plenty that make it through the early struggles in the filed have a pretty nice life.

Last edited:
Even as a medical specialty, 4 years undergrad + 4 years pod school +3 years residency is a HUGE commitment for the real chance of making less than 100k when you graduate not to mention that you are putting in MD/DO levels of time and education without the same guarantees at the end of the tunnel. I know private practice can be an option but I just don't think most people want to do that and would prefer going W2 instead. I think Podiatry is a safer bet if you are committed to opening and running your own practice before you even apply and spend time learning how to start that process like maybe finding a mentor or something.

MAN! this guy/gal summed it up better than i would have ever said it !! .... this should be stickied on the forum, it is the most accurate description of the pod that i have seen.

It has been good for me, and I enjoy the work. But I got the military to pay for half my school and a cost of living stipend during that half of school. Then I got my surgical board numbers in the military and got certified while serving. Now I am debt free and operate a private practice that takes Medicare only, the rest self pay. But I don't think that's typical. Typically you will incur a mountain of debt, spend 4 years busting your butt in podiatry school then spend 3 years in residency, only to get out and on average make about $150k. Do the math on that, take out the taxes on 150k, then look at your loan payment. It may be a rewarding career, but financially it's not a good option. If you have financial support going in, or military scholarship, it's a good career move. Otherwise the math is sobering when you look at your net worth and earnings potential after all that training, and all those years of lost income earned and lost stock market investing. You could land a hospital or msg job straight out of residency, but I wouldn't assume it will happen. Today I would probably go for trade school instead, debt is a financial killer...

Reactions: 12 users
It has been good for me, and I enjoy the work. But I got the military to pay for half my school and a cost of living stipend during that half of school. Then I got my surgical board numbers in the military and got certified while serving. Now I am debt free and operate a private practice that takes Medicare only, the rest self pay. But I don't think that's typical. Typically you will incur a mountain of debt, spend 4 years busting your butt in podiatry school then spend 3 years in residency, only to get out and on average make about $150k. Do the math on that, take out the taxes on 150k, then look at your loan payment. It may be a rewarding career, but financially it's not a good option. If you have financial support going in, or military scholarship, it's a good career move. Otherwise the math is sobering when you look at your net worth and earnings potential after all that training, and all those years of lost income earned and lost stock market investing. You could land a hospital or msg job straight out of residency, but I wouldn't assume it will happen. Today I would probably go for trade school instead, debt is a financial killer...

Really good points. Kudos to you Creflo.

I thought about this question some more today and in the end, I’d say it has been worth it for me despite some bumps along the road from clerkships to now. It eventually works out if you put in the work, like what CutsWithFury said above. I have pretty good job satisfaction, patients leave usually happy, and the salary and benefits is more than I imagined it could be to support my family. But honestly, I’m not sure if I’d do it all over again if someone asked me just because the job market is quite limited for the type of scope/work/location everyone fights for, granted there are 600+ new grads each year.

Overall, I haven’t lost the drive to do what I do, from toenails to TARs and this job is a means for me to invest and save smart to enjoy life later on.

Everyone has their needs, wants and goals in life. Never too early to think about the path you want to pursue but always keep
Options open as many posters have said before here. Don’t pigeon hole yourself, unless you’re willing to risk that much and come out with nothing (job wise or residency). It really has been a humbling experience because I really took to heart all the advice these OG pods here have said for years and it worked for me.

Do what makes you happy and pursue it.

I worked for $100k per year for 2-3 years after finishing residency. I make a lot more than that now. I will not work for another 30 years but most people, in most professions will have to work well into their 60’s which is where I would be at that time. Over the next 30 years I should theoretically have $12+ million in gross pay. There aren’t a lot of 9-5 jobs with that kind of income potential. And that counts being able to earn income in your early to mid 20’s.

Would I do it again? That depends, do I get to take some worldly knowledge back in time with me? If so, then absolutely not. I would have gotten a degree in construction management, started working for a commercial builder out of college, started buying land and multi-family rentals in 2009, and at worst id be a developer with my own company. Realistically I’d already be retired.

If I knew nothing else, outside of my experience with Podiatry? Then yeah, I probably would. My family lives very comfortably, we don’t worry about costs for vacation or kids’ activities. We aren’t a unexpected medical bill or accident away from not making a house payment. I’m living where I want to (which certainly isn’t always an option with Podiatry). I work 4 days a week with very little nights and weekends. It took a couple **** jobs to get here but it’s a pretty good life all things considered.

But in the words of Chester Bennington…RIP…

linkin-park-in-the-end.gif

Reactions: 10 users
For me: NO it’s not worth it.

I am in a MSG making more money than just about every podiatrist associate and owners in PP. If I was to start over again, I would be a PA, NP, or DO.

I am in a MSG making more money than just about every podiatrist associate and owners in PP. If I was to start over again, I would be a PA, NP, or DO.
Fine, I'll ask...

It's obviously not a lack of income that turns you off of podiatry. What would you change about your career if you could?

Yes, I'd echo above. Why in the world would you want to be NP/PA? To be a 'provider'? To get respeck?

The midlevels make barely more than most critical care RNs who do any amount of overtime or locums - sometimes less (and midlevels have a lot more headaches akin to docs since they usually have their own pts... Rx refills, in to a mailbox of test results, various pt messages, admins to deal with, etc). They also have the liability of making dx, doing procedures, etc... yet they aren't prepped to handle the tougher cases, dx, or complications. A lot of midlevel jobs are basically like being a resident - but permanently (all the bad hours and liability of docs, needing supervision or help with tough cases, almost none of the high pay or glory).

Now if you said CRNA or ICU manager RN or even ER RN or something like that, then I absolutely get that (potential for near or better than doc level pay with much better hours, little or no call, much less responsibility after they leave). All in all, DPM is pretty good, though.

I guess if I had to do something else medical then I'd consider dentistry. I know they have their complaints too (high debt, repetitive work) but who doesn't? I keep checking Indeed.com for "Hip-hop god" and "Movie star" openings but those jobs are pretty hard to come by.

I keep checking Indeed.com for "Hip-hop god" and "Movie star" openings but those jobs are pretty hard to come by.
I heard the Academy has a recent opening. Something about a slap knocked off the last hip-hop god movie star.

But word is that 200 dpm applicants already applied in first 24 hours

• Haha
Yes, I'd echo above. Why in the world would you want to be NP/PA? To be a 'provider'? To get respeck?

The midlevels make barely more than most critical care RNs who do any amount of overtime or locums - sometimes less (and midlevels have a lot more headaches akin to docs since they usually have their own pts... Rx refills, in to a mailbox of test results, various pt messages, admins to deal with, etc). They also have the liability of making dx, doing procedures, etc... yet they aren't prepped to handle the tougher cases, dx, or complications. A lot of midlevel jobs are basically like being a resident - but permanently (all the bad hours and liability of docs, needing supervision or help with tough cases, almost none of the high pay or glory).

Now if you said CRNA or ICU manager RN or even ER RN or something like that, then I absolutely get that (potential for near or better than doc level pay with much better hours, little or no call, much less responsibility after they leave). All in all, DPM is pretty good, though.
CRNA is great alternative. Takes about 9-10 years from scratch. Pay is great. Where I am at currently, starting pay is 250K, 8 weeks off. They are sent home anywhere between 10a-1pm. One CRNA on call stays until 3-5pm. Pods work longer hrs and earn 100-200k at best.

I guess if I had to do something else medical then I'd consider dentistry. I know they have their complaints too (high debt, repetitive work) but who doesn't? I keep checking Indeed.com for "Hip-hop god" and "Movie star" openings but those jobs are pretty hard to come by.
I have applied for a job as a professional bra fitter/bikini top fitter for those 21-40.

It’s a tough gig but someone has to do it.

• Haha
I have applied for a job as a professional bra fitter/bikini top fitter for those 21-40.

make sure you get the job first... didnt work out for this DPM to just start grabbing: “He proceeded to touch my breasts and move and squeeze around my breasts,” she said. “He was just saying it showed signs of scoliosis.”

• Wow

Will you continue to post here after your career change? Well, either way, thanks for mammaries.

• Haha

Third-ed.

There are certainly podiatry specific issues I have, but if I had to do it all again there is a 0% chance I would pick a different Healthcare profession. Lol.

Will you continue to post here after your career change? Well, either way, thanks for mammaries.
Even though the new job will be a handful, I will keep you abreast of the situation. I just hope it’s not a bust, so I don’t have to come on here and listen to tit for tat comments.

• Haha
Fine, I'll ask...

It's obviously not a lack of income that turns you off of podiatry. What would you change about your career if you could?

For starters, being able to practice “full” scope at every state. I have moved to 3 different areas in the past 10+ years and each area had a different scope of practice. It’s a big deal since I have to refer out or have plastics/general surgeon scrub in my case for a lousy graft from the thigh.

Your typical FNP makes more than a podiatry associate AND they have the option to “switch” speciality.

Last edited: