In the personal statement...gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schnauzr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've taken a year off after my sophomore year,
during which I traveled for awhile, did a little volunteering,
did a little part-time job, wrote the MCAT, and stuff.
I feel like I've grown during the gap year,
but honestly, I don't know if my desire to be a doctor has benefited or changed at all from the experience.

So actually, my real question is,
is it "necessary" that I include some information about how I've spent my gap year, when I don't really feel like it's pertinent to what the essay should be about?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've taken a year off after my sophomore year,
during which I traveled for awhile, did a little volunteering,
did a little part-time job, wrote the MCAT, and stuff.
I feel like I've grown during the gap year,
but honestly, I don't know if my desire to be a doctor has benefited or changed at all from the experience.

So actually, my real question is,
is it "necessary" that I include some information about how I've spent my gap year, when I don't really feel like it's pertinent to what the essay should be about?

I think it would be helpful to say you did something constructive with the time, but it certainly doesn't need to be the central theme. Saying that the time matured you would be good. You will be asked about it in interviews I imagine, but I don't see it being a problem for you if that's what you are worried about.

My personal statement didn't gloss over my life or anything like that, and I don't think its the place to do that either, its more about why you want to go to medical school. If I remember correctly, there will be other places where they ask about time away from school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be helpful to say you did something constructive with the time, but it certainly doesn't need to be the central theme. Saying that the time matured you would be good. You will be asked about it in interviews I imagine, but I don't see it being a problem for you if that's what you are worried about.

I agree. At least, that's what I'd do. It seems like a logical question for someone looking at that gap in college to be "What exactly were they doing?" Can't hurt to answer it for them.

Some applications have a space where you're asked to reply to the question, "If you are applying >1 year since the completion of your undergraduate degree, please explain what you have done in that time."

Regardless (because 'irregardless' is my most hated word), I added a paragraph to my admissions essay the second time I applied, explaining what I had done. It had no impact on my motivation, but it was still kindof impressive - and when the admissions committee is looking over applications, having an unimpressive answer to 'what did s/he do that year?' is way better than having no answer - remember, they are looking for reasons to throw out applications.

You should explain any "not-traditional" aspects of your transcript, lest they think you did anything unseemly during that time...

Something to the effect of:

"At the end of my Sophmore year, I put my studies on hold to pursue other interests. After volunteering as a ______ and working as a _______, I returned to school with a renewed focus on pursuing a career in healthcare."

FWIW.

-OFD