In the process of applying HPSP, couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental555

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I began my Navy HPSP dental application a little late, in the beginning of October. I wanted to get everything done ASAP to get myself the best chance possible. I've finished most of the NASIS security clearance except the employer references, which for some reason gives me an error whenever I try to save and I'm trying to find out why with my recruiter but thats besides the point. I've got references to send out there letters/forms, sent transcripts, gotten my birth certificate and SS and all that, and just had part I of my precommission physical today. However, I called after to schedule part II of the physical at Walter Reed and the earliest date they had was Dec 11th, which kind of bummed me out because I was hoping to finish it sooner.

Do you think this will significantly delay my application. Does not having your application in by December 3rd put you at a big disadvantage?

If I get in to dental school on Dec 3rd but don't get the scholarship this cycle, how easy is reapplication next cycle for the 3 year scholarship? Is it much more simplified since you already applied once or do you basically have to do the whole thing over?

Right now I'm only applying to the Navy HPSP but I'm considering doing Army HPSP too to expand my choices and give me a better shot at getting in somewhere, plus I've heard that Army fills their dental spots later. Anyone know if this is true?

Sorry if this comes across as a typical over-stressed SDN post, but I just want to get in everything I can as soon as possible to give myself my best chance, any advice is appreciated. :thumbup:

Edit: Another question, if I also pursue the Army HPSP, can I use the paperwork I already got for my pre commission physical or would I have to go and do that again? How much of the paperwork crosses over? What about the security clearance? Is it all separate?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you think this will significantly delay my application. Does not having your application in by December 3rd put you at a big disadvantage?

As long as you have no serious current or past medical/surgical issues, it will not delay you significantly. No, it will not put you at a disadvantage. Ideally you want to have your application complete at the same time or before you get a dental school acceptance, because you'll need that to actually get the scholarship.

If I get in to dental school on Dec 3rd but don't get the scholarship this cycle, how easy is reapplication next cycle for the 3 year scholarship? Is it much more simplified since you already applied once or do you basically have to do the whole thing over?

If you don't get the scholarship you would likely be on a waiting list, and in that case it's entirely possible that you could get a 4 year shortly into the school year (an individual on my lab table just got the 4 year, so she basically had to pay for the 1st quarter, but the rest will be covered; if you think about cases like that it should make you feel more optimistic, being so very long since December of last year).

If you outright get denied, then you would likely need to fully re-apply (I believe my recruiter mentioned this to me once), but in that instance you might consider trying the Army last minute instead of waiting an entire year, totally up to you, but I would be concerned about getting denied again.

Right now I'm only applying to the Navy HPSP but I'm considering doing Army HPSP too to expand my choices and give me a better shot at getting in somewhere, plus I've heard that Army fills their dental spots later. Anyone know if this is true?

This is essentially true, it's only because they have far MORE spots to fill. To piggy back on what I mentioned above, if you are considering the Army as well, then you should speak to a recruiter now and be transparent about your situation and intentions.

Sorry if this comes across as a typical over-stressed SDN post, but I just want to get in everything I can as soon as possible to give myself my best chance, any advice is appreciated. :thumbup:

Edit: Another question, if I also pursue the Army HPSP, can I use the paperwork I already got for my pre commission physical or would I have to go and do that again? How much of the paperwork crosses over? What about the security clearance? Is it all separate?

Yes, MEPS (medical) process is the same for all branches, so it will carry over. You may need to have the Navy transfer paperwork, but that would be the worst of it. Security clearance to my knowledge is DoD wide, not branch-specific, so that should also carry over (my Air Force security clearance carried over for the Navy, though I was active duty, so this may not apply to HPSP applicants). If you do speak to an Army recruiter, ask these questions for clarification, do not assume my answers are golden.

Best of luck.

I'm doing the Navy HPSP too. Wait, there are two parts to the MEPS physical?

Members don't see this ad :)
there is 1 MEPS physical where you take care of the basic medical stuff. if you pass MEPS the first time, you don't go back. if you're given a dq of any sort, you may have to go back to get that figured out

I thought you had to go back to get your lab results filled out on your paperwork? My recruiter told me to schedule a part 2 before I had even gone to part 1. I have most of it filled out but the blood results and urinalysis are blank, is there a way to get that info without going back?

my packet is already in for the army. i never had to go back for my lab results....sooo idk maybe it might be different for the navy?

I am basically starting everything this weekend. Since I am matrix qualified, does it matter as much if I am starting the process a little later?

It sounds like you are in the DC area. You can do your physical at Concentra. Its a walk-in basis kind of thing. The one near Hanover, MD has done a lot of physicals for the Navy. You would have to pay out of pocket for it if you choose to go there. If you already have many of the tests completed, you can bring it with you to Concentra and it will bring down the cost. I guess you have to weigh out what is most important for you at this point. If you want a chance at beating the December 3 rush...it would be worth it to me.

Your recruiter should have told you about this....

So I began my Navy HPSP dental application a little late, in the beginning of October. I wanted to get everything done ASAP to get myself the best chance possible. I've finished most of the NASIS security clearance except the employer references, which for some reason gives me an error whenever I try to save and I'm trying to find out why with my recruiter but thats besides the point. I've got references to send out there letters/forms, sent transcripts, gotten my birth certificate and SS and all that, and just had part I of my precommission physical today. However, I called after to schedule part II of the physical at Walter Reed and the earliest date they had was Dec 11th, which kind of bummed me out because I was hoping to finish it sooner.

I also started applying in October but because of issues with my recruiter my MEPS physical was not until January. My application was not submitted until February and I was still fine. I only had to do one MEPS appointment though. Also, if you want to do Navy HPSP I would hold off on applying to the Army. The Army will put you through the process much quicker and then give you about 3 days to commission. They had spots open until about July last year.

When I hadn't commisioned towards the end of February I got worried about the Navy and applied to the Army. I already had my MEPS and other paperwork done so all I had to do was complete a new background check. Once that went through I actually got offered the Army HPSP BEFORE I was awarded the Navy one, luckily they were a day apart so I was sure that I would get the Navy before I turned down the Army. However, because of the speed of the Army I would hold off on applying until you hear from your recruiter it is unlikely you will get the scholarship. One of my friends in school had applied to the Navy, hadn't heard by Jan 1 so she applied to the Army, got that first and now she is in the Army when I am pretty sure she would rather be in the Navy, just something to think about.