In US Med School , Should I apply there for Residency ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kornphan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in US Med School, 3rd year. I am also a Canadian Citizen by birth, should I apply to Ontario Residency programs and also US programs at the same time ?.. Do I improve my chance this way in getting a program I want or should I not bother with applying up there ?. Thanks for any insight..

KornDawg

Members don't see this ad.

if you apply to canadian programs you are essentially ranking all canadian programs ahead of us programs, since the match is first. So think carefully about where you want to be before you blindly apply to programs. you might want to be in some place in the US over some random place in Canada.

Also think about your loan repayment schedule.

I don't know what tuition is at your med school but bear in mind that Ontario PGY1s make about $44k Cdn per year (about $33k /yr US), not to mention we're taxed significantly more and stuff is more expensive up here. If your loan is huge and you go into repayment upon graduation, I think the topic is moot ..Just something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also at a US med school, applying to US Match, but thinking of applying to Canadian residency (one school close to home in particular). For those who have seen both systems, work hours-wise is there a huge difference?

Thanks!

danieltl said:
I'm also at a US med school, applying to US Match, but thinking of applying to Canadian residency (one school close to home in particular). For those who have seen both systems, work hours-wise is there a huge difference?

Thanks!

From what my friends told me, the hours are much better in Canadian residency than in the US residency. However, most residencies are slightly longer in Canada than in the US. There are some notable exceptions esp family med.

I think the most important question to ask is where you want to settle down after residency. If US, then do US residency. If Canada, then either one works. I think Canadian healthcare system accepts US certification but not the other way around, right?

~ribs.
Canadian born, US Med Grad, US residency.