In which specialties is it most acceptable to work part-time (as a male)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Past SDN threads seem to indicate that the government (taxpayers) pays a rough average of 110k/year/resident to help subsidize the costs associated with post-grad training. I don't agree this subsidization presents a moral obligation for physicians to somehow "repay" later on in their work hours post-residency, though I can see why some would hold this belief.

Members don't see this ad.

I would rather rape my eye socket with a stick of rhubarb than do inpatient hospitalist medicine.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on SDN.

Seriously though there are some major douches posting here. These people are the reason I chose not to do surgery, medicine, OB, etc. I love medicine but I love other things too - like my family.

Seriously though there are some major douches posting here. These people are the reason I chose not to do surgery, medicine, OB, etc. I love medicine but I love other things too - like my family.

You mean IM? Are there lots of douchebags in IM?

Members don't see this ad :)

What did you chose to do? I'm wondering what you could have possibly chosen to avoid all the "major douches."

Ever met an interventional cardiologist?

I'm glad you chose not to go to medical school

What did you chose to do? I'm wondering what you could have possibly chosen to avoid all the "major douches."

Ever met an interventional cardiologist?

Radiology. I'm sure there are some douches in rads too but my experience has been very positive. Most work hard but don't have a neurotic obsession with spending every waking hour at the hospital because it's their "life calling."

I've had similar experience with anesthesia and psych. I haven't met an anesthesiologist I didn't like - surprised that NY times article was written by one. I'm glad I didn't train at her hospital.

Not as many as in surgery but more than rads. Take JP2740 for example. He wants to do neuro or medicine. You wanna work with him?

I actually think most hospitalists are pretty cool. But there's always the token few who think that the best and brightest should choose medicine and anything else is selling out. A few bad apples ruin the bunch.

If there are classmates that want to only work 3 days a week, that's fine by me. I wouldn't call them lazy. Whatever makes them happy has zero effect on my happiness/lifestyle. Same with other people. If your classmates don't wanna go into specialties which requires 80 hours a week or more after residency, it has no effect on you! There are people who work 3 days a week and laugh at people who call them lazy, cause they are still happy and ballin regardless. Focus on your path makes people sane. Focusing on other people's path can lead to bad feelings lol

Jerry Rice ran the best routes in football. In his prime, he was practically unstoppable. That being said, I'd take Crabtree over Rice today. Rice was better, but Crabtree is doing it now and has practiced more lately.

Uhh, totally unrelated to the thread but just to be clear...Jerry Rice hasn't played football in over 9 years and is 50 years old...I don't know of anyone who would pick him over a 25 year old that is currently in his prime (Crabtree).

Uhh, totally unrelated to the thread but just to be clear...Jerry Rice hasn't played football in over 9 years and is 50 years old...I don't know of anyone who would pick him over a 25 year old that is currently in his prime (Crabtree).

Did you miss the point?

Did you miss the point?

Oh totally dude, didn't get it at all...!

Sorry but comparing a physician who wants to work part time to an elderly athlete who has been retired for a decade, just didn't do it for me. Someone who "only" works 30-40 hours a week is anything but retired. The physicians I know don't consider the time they spend reading scientific papers, the current literature, or CME as time on the job either. Just thought it was a funny sports analogy on a few levels, my b. Thanks again though bud!

Last edited:
Yeah, there are many ways to make money. Profits are better than wages. If you have an idea or create a business that can make money, it has potential to earn much more than you could working for wages - even as a doc.

Ask Dr. Sattar who created Pathoma, if there are other ways to earn money than clocking hours as a pathologist. His business likely earns more than he did as a pathologist and it's basically on autopilot right now. Also the guys running Doctors in Training.

Challenge accepted.

I'm going to tell people to do UWorld 3 times, and then I'm going to stand behind a podium and read it out loud to them the 4th time, telling them what is "high-yield" and referencing the FA page number. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Challenge accepted.

I'm going to tell people to do UWorld 3 times, and then I'm going to stand behind a podium and read it out loud to them the 4th time, telling them what is "high-yield" and referencing the FA page number. :cool:

Don't forget to wear the same clothes everyday.

The number of physician residency spots is a function of government funding. Do you really trust that I'd there was a problem, the government would address it? I don't.

Are there ways to make more money per hour than clinical work? Yes. Is it common? No. Most physicians I know that have other endeavors are complaining about how to get out of it. Physicians are bad investors of epic proportions. Sure, some guys will make boatloads of money outside of medicine. Most will just get a headache.

I didnt really mean "staying up to date" with respect to CME. CME and staying up to date on medicine are two different things. Beyond that, I don't even necessarily mean learning new medicine or acquiring new skills. If you don't do something often enough, you will lose your skills.

Tell Bill Frist and Sanjay Gupta they're not using their coveted CT and NS skills enough to save lives. I'm just a normal guy trying to make it in IM. Even a PA could probably handle my practice someday...:idea:

You may know some physicians who are dealing with poor investments but all the ones I personally know are either comfortably sitting on multiple properties, holding positions on commissions or boardrooms, and seem to invest their time and money pretty well outside of medicine. I'm sure some investments do go bad, but I don't think there's a rule that says physicians have to suck at investing. Never heard of this before. Maybe it's the reason why I feel fairly comfortable outside the realm of medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Radiology. I'm sure there are some douches in rads too but my experience has been very positive. Most work hard but don't have a neurotic obsession with spending every waking hour at the hospital because it's their "life calling."

I've had similar experience with anesthesia and psych. I haven't met an anesthesiologist I didn't like - surprised that NY times article was written by one. I'm glad I didn't train at her hospital.

Funny you say that...I know one that doesn't spend every waking hour at the hospital.

He instead works at home all night long and hates his life even though he pulls in half a mill/yr. His wife is a cards fellow...and he has a couple of young kids that won't let him sleep during the day. Ah...the life.

Funny you say that...I know one that doesn't spend every waking hour at the hospital.

He instead works at home all night long and hates his life even though he pulls in half a mill/yr. His wife is a cards fellow...and he has a couple of young kids that won't let him sleep during the day. Ah...the life.

Haha, yeah radiology definitely has its downsides, just like every other specialty: market's pretty tight right now, reimbursements are goin down and there are definitely a portion that feel unsatisfied sitting behind a computer most of the day (just wander over to Auntminnie..) but I like it.

And at least your friend is not trying to convince everyone around him that if they don't put in 60+ hrs like him they've shirked their moral obligation to society.. Which was my point :)

Lol... once I'm post residency, if the fulfillment(reimbursement) to bullsht ratio doesn't workout right I will end up working locum just enough to cover basic living expenses and loan repayment. I will then spend the rest of my time living in a foreign country. Costa Rica sounds nice.

Our generation is not like the last... we will not go down with the ship.

I want to live my life with 3-4 day weekends even if it means making 80k/year so money isn't an issue. I just don't want people to guilt-trip me about not working full time or have animosity in the hospital due to this. So what specialties are the best/worst for this (and you won't feel like patients are dying/can't get treatment because of your choice)?

Why don't you ask the people who interviewed you for a seat in medical school? I'll bet they'd be thrilled to know that you view medicine as a part time job. They would be interested as well in your progress as a golfer, musician and all around bon vivant.

Make sure to raise this issue as well in your residency interviews. Make it clear to the interviewer that the $1,000,000 that society is spending on your medical training has been and will be spent wisely. Ask for proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you can leave the hospital anytime you want if if there's an epidemic. You'll make the right impression.

Why don't you ask the people who interviewed you for a seat in medical school? I'll bet they'd be thrilled to know that you view medicine as a part time job. They would be interested as well in your progress as a golfer, musician and all around bon vivant.

Make sure to raise this issue as well in your residency interviews. Make it clear to the interviewer that the $1,000,000 that society is spending on your medical training has been and will be spent wisely. Ask for proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you can leave the hospital anytime you want if if there's an epidemic. You'll make the right impression.

Your username is pertinent. Some people work to live, and not the other way around. Some medical students I am good friends with know that they don't want to be involved in life-and-death decisions on a daily basis. Others know they don't want call, or they want the flexibility to work part-time (future mothers, etc). I don't think any less of them at all.

Your username is pertinent. Some people work to live, and not the other way around. Some medical students I am good friends with know that they don't want to be involved in life-and-death decisions on a daily basis. Others know they don't want call, or they want the flexibility to work part-time (future mothers, etc). I don't think any less of them at all.

Think less of them? Heck, there are days when I'm sure they are smarter than me.

ETA - But then I realize what a career full of clinic would do to me. And then I daydream of the OR.

Last edited:

Relax.

'Society' has found ways to waste more money in much worse ways than that. (Think: athletes, politicians, NASA, Kardashians etc)

Even if the cost of creating a physician (part-time) was $10 million, it is still money well spent in the end.

Bet they would be jealous.

A lot of hospitalist positions are 7 on and 7 off right? If you worked part time that would be 1 week of work followed by 3 weeks off? 200k avg / 2 = 100k working 1 week a month?!!!!??!

edit: I read somewhere that sometimes 2 people who want to work part time split a full time hospitalist position

I have a few partners in my practice who work these shifts.

Past SDN threads seem to indicate that the government (taxpayers) pays a rough average of 110k/year/resident to help subsidize the costs associated with post-grad training. I don't agree this subsidization presents a moral obligation for physicians to somehow "repay" later on in their work hours post-residency, though I can see why some would hold this belief.

The same government that gives billions to bankers and then allows them to get off without any charges when they launder money for drug lords and terrorists?

AHAHAHAH yeah like I'm worried about wasting the government's money when they spend trillions (yes trillions) on misadventures in killing brown people.

As the other posters said, YOLO (rofl).

Most fields you can do part time (yes even neurosurgery) you just have to tailor your practice around it. For neurosurgery you'd have to stick to elective spine.

You may know some physicians who are dealing with poor investments but all the ones I personally know are either comfortably sitting on multiple properties, holding positions on commissions or boardrooms, and seem to invest their time and money pretty well outside of medicine. I'm sure some investments do go bad, but I don't think there's a rule that says physicians have to suck at investing. Never heard of this before. Maybe it's the reason why I feel fairly comfortable outside the realm of medicine.

I'm extremely surprised you've never heard this before. Doctors are truly awful with money. There are exceptions, but when you take a group of people who have been living on other peoples money for a decade then give them a 6 figure salary, things go wrong. I know one doc who just filed bankruptcy because he was trying to build a clinic and it went almost $1 mil over budget. I know two docs who had financial advisors embezzle a ton of their money (and never saw it again). One doc I know owns four houses, only one is being rented and he's loosing $1000s every month. One doc I know put well over 100k into a new surgical tool that went bust. Several docs I know own properties or part stake in business that are losing money but family is involed and they can't cut the tie. Can't count the number of docs I know that are paying for their ex-wife's (ex-wives') house and lifestyle. I could seriously go on for days.

It's like investors, you won't hear about the deals that went bust, you'll only hear about the times their stocks went up.

Sorry my analogy didn't do it for you, lol. I wasn't trying to upset anyone (although it appears I may have). All I was trying to say is that there is some finite amount of time that you must spend doing your craft to remain good at it. I have no idea how this can be viewed as controversial.

I'm extremely surprised you've never heard this before. Doctors are truly awful with money. There are exceptions, but when you take a group of people who have been living on other peoples money for a decade then give them a 6 figure salary, things go wrong. I know one doc who just filed bankruptcy because he was trying to build a clinic and it went almost $1 mil over budget. I know two docs who had financial advisors embezzle a ton of their money (and never saw it again). One doc I know owns four houses, only one is being rented and he's loosing $1000s every month. One doc I know put well over 100k into a new surgical tool that went bust. Several docs I know own properties or part stake in business that are losing money but family is involed and they can't cut the tie. Can't count the number of docs I know that are paying for their ex-wife's (ex-wives') house and lifestyle. I could seriously go on for days.

It's like investors, you won't hear about the deals that went bust, you'll only hear about the times their stocks went up.

Honestly, I've lived among them my entire life, and I personally don't know of a single doctor/surgeon in that bad shape. It may just be your personal experience vs. mine. The ones I have heard about that got screwed were the ones who just did something dumb and were asking to get caught, not really investing, such as someone who started pushing painkillers thinking they wouldn't get looked into. The worst "investing" example I can come up with is a doctor who spread himself to thin with a venture, and hadn't considered decreasing reimbursements, yet still rolls around in a Maybach because it was borrowed money.

You Only Live once,

People work to live, not live to work. I believe every doctor's life should be balanced with time for medicine, spouse, kids, travelling, and just doing fun stuff like seeing a movie. I'd rather have a happy family than a Nobel prize.

I personally won't sign any contract >45h/week once i finish residency. What good is money if you have no time to enjoy it.

Sorry my analogy didn't do it for you, lol. I wasn't trying to upset anyone (although it appears I may have). All I was trying to say is that there is some finite amount of time that you must spend doing your craft to remain good at it. I have no idea how this can be viewed as controversial.

You didn't upset me at all, I knew what you were trying to say. Sorry if my joking/sarcasm didn't come across via internet. It was just a funny sports analogy (especially as a 49ers fan). I didn't think it was controversial at all, I was just poking fun.

Have any of the posters here crying that "docs should work no less than x hours/week" or "part-time is for panzies" ever actually worked a real job in the real world? And by that, I mean a full time job where you are totally supporting yourself (and maybe a spouse and kids) and mommy/daddy's credit card is off limits? I suspect not.

Idealism is one thing, but keep your ill-informed moral platitudes in your pants and off my lawn.

Have any of the posters here crying that "docs should work no less than x hours/week" or "part-time is for panzies" ever actually worked a real job in the real world? And by that, I mean a full time job where you are totally supporting yourself (and maybe a spouse and kids) and mommy/daddy's credit card is off limits? I suspect not.

Idealism is one thing, but keep your ill-informed moral platitudes in your pants and off my lawn.

I haven't had a real job by your standards, but...

I'd like to make it clear that my argument had nothing to do with idealism or "moral platitudes.". My argument was simply this: I wouldn't let someone be my surgeon if they performed 1 operation a year and I wouldn't let someone be my medical doctor if they only spent 1 half-day a year in clinic. Why? They are out of practice. It stands to reason that there is a finite amount of time required to remain skilled in your area of expertise. That's it. I don't know why this is controversial at all.

I haven't had a real job by your standards, but...

I'd like to make it clear that my argument had nothing to do with idealism or "moral platitudes.". My argument was simply this: I wouldn't let someone be my surgeon if they performed 1 operation a year and I wouldn't let someone be my medical doctor if they only spent 1 half-day a year in clinic. Why? They are out of practice. It stands to reason that there is a finite amount of time required to remain skilled in your area of expertise. That's it. I don't know why this is controversial at all.

Your point here is fine--you get to choose the doc you feel most comfortable with and nothing is forced on anybody. Others on here seem to want some type of government mandate on how many hours a doc must work. That ain't cool.

Let physicians and the market regulate this issue...ie no legit physician group or hospital would employ/credential a guy who operates once a year (or however much) and is getting sued all the time for botched procedures due to "being out of practice."

Great point.

Your point here is fine--you get to choose the doc you feel most comfortable with and nothing is forced on anybody. Others on here seem to want some type of government mandate on how many hours a doc must work. That ain't cool.

Let physicians and the market regulate this issue...ie no legit physician group or hospital would employ/credential a guy who operates once a year (or however much) and is getting sued all the time for botched procedures due to "being out of practice."

It would however be in our collective best interest to work more as a practical matter simply because midlevels are using physicians shortages as an excuse for encroachment on practice. Obviously this is on a macro level, somewhat unrelated and I doubt many docs would actually work any extra hours a week even if it would decrease the likelihood of expansion of NP/PA roles in medicine.

It would however be in our collective best interest to work more as a practical matter simply because midlevels are using physicians shortages as an excuse for encroachment on practice. Obviously this is on a macro level, somewhat unrelated and I doubt many docs would actually work any extra hours a week even if it would decrease the likelihood of expansion of NP/PA roles in medicine.

I think differently. I think midlevels are able to encroach because they are cheaper to reimburse than we are. The doctor shortage is because there isn't enough money (Medicare) to train more doctors.

There's enough qualified people out there ready to be trained otherwise. Our governments way of getting around this is by diluting the quality of healthcare with mid-level care.

Honestly, I think the government should just make it so IMGs work for far less money during residency, for free, or even for a tuition. US students are swamped in debt, majority of IMGs have little to no debt. They're ultimately going to make money back.

Before anyone tries to pummel me for that idea, I'm an IMG myself and I wouldn't mind having to take out a loan for residency if required. If that's the price I have to pay to be trained and work in the US then I would, because I consider it a privilege. (Plus, the $40-50k/yr isn't going to make or break my future.)

I really think it is silly that an IMG that has passed all three steps is not able to work as a PA.

I think differently. I think midlevels are able to encroach because they are cheaper to reimburse than we are. The doctor shortage is because there isn't enough money (Medicare) to train more doctors.

There's enough qualified people out there ready to be trained otherwise. Our governments way of getting around this is by diluting the quality of healthcare with mid-level care.

Honestly, I think the government should just make it so IMGs work for far less money during residency, for free, or even for a tuition. US students are swamped in debt, majority of IMGs have little to no debt. They're ultimately going to make money back.

Before anyone tries to pummel me for that idea, I'm an IMG myself and I wouldn't mind having to take out a loan for residency if required. If that's the price I have to pay to be trained and work in the US then I would, because I consider it a privilege. (Plus, the $40-50k/yr isn't going to make or break my future.)

Seems reasonable. Although the "NPs provide cheaper care" isnt always 100% true. Extra testing. Dunno about any significant data to support that though.

I really think it is silly that an IMG that has passed all three steps is not able to work as a PA.

As much as I'd love that, I still think there does need to be some training done here. Especially if you're dealing with having the ability to prescribe meds ("under supervision").

I think we need some real physician leadership and community. If we have a national organization with one voice and pooled resources, then we can combat the problems that are bound to come.

Right now we have too many groups, too many individuals, and no plan. We can either live together or die alone.

Seems reasonable. Although the "NPs provide cheaper care" isnt always 100% true. Extra testing. Dunno about any significant data to support that though.

I think it's very reasonable and only helps the US in the long run. Now if only others saw it that way.

For every IMG they take, the potential lowered salary (or residency tuition) could help cover another US grads training. In the end, everyone is getting what they want.

Other countries have employed similar barriers for foreign students/grads, they aren't eligible to join or train unless they pay. Don't really see why the US couldn't do the same here.

If they want/need money, why not just openly admit it and fix it with reason. Instead, they resort to the annual practice of increasing failure rates for IMGs on a $1300 CS exam, with no transparency in scoring. Odd.

Last edited:
I think we need some real physician leadership and community. If we have a national organization with one voice and pooled resources, then we can combat the problems that are bound to come.

Right now we have too many groups, too many individuals, and no plan. We can either live together or die alone.

I thought there were organizations in place already. Although, maybe they are more like frats and just something to put on your resume that you held a position? In the end, everyone's just looking out for themselves...

I don't understand why the AMA is pledging $10 million towards the "advancement" of medical education. Since when was the US medical education so bad to begin with? Seemed to me like they're leading the world in that category.

I think it's very reasonable and only helps the US in the long run. Now if only others saw it that way.

For every IMG they take, the potential lowered salary (or residency tuition) could help cover another US grads training. In the end, everyone is getting what they want.

Other countries have employed similar barriers for foreign students/grads, they aren't eligible to join or train unless they pay. Don't really see why the US couldn't do the same here.

If they want/need money, why not just openly admit it and fix it with reason. Instead, they resort to the annual practice of increasing failure rates for IMGs on a $1300 CS exam, with no transparency in scoring. Odd.

The problem is that there becomes disincentive to hire US grads.

The problem is that there becomes disincentive to hire US grads.

Well, the funding is coming to them regardless and has to be dispersed, right? Why not allocate the majority of that money which is already going to be spent anyways - towards AMGs (only). It is already being done as it is, a few thousand IMGs are just filling in the remainder. So, when the US grads = residency spots in say 2016, most of the Medicare money would already be allocated to the training of AMGs. At that time, there is still a shortage of physicians, with no extra money from Medicare, and plenty of qualified IMGs in limbo. At that point, each program could increase their residency spots and tack on a few IMGs who would be working for pennies or paying a residency tuition. After all we're talking mostly about primary care positions, not specialties. The IMGs would yet take some pressure off of current residents in terms of workload, the burden on Medicare's funding, and they would still be benefitting greatly in the end.

Last edited:
Hospitalist is a miserable job. All these green-horns thinking they only work half the year have no clue what they're talking about. That week "on" is living and breathing the job. No time for anything else. That week "off"? Well, the first couple days are pure recovery. Mainly sleep. The next days are running all the errands you were unable to attend to during the previous week. One day of being able to get hammered, or whatever else it is you do. Then those last 2-3 days are spent in utter dread of the 7 day blast of work to come.

And don't even get me started on what the job itself entails. I would rather rape my eye socket with a stick of rhubarb than do inpatient hospitalist medicine.

Maybe if you are not in Academics. If you are in Academics the job is not bad at all.

I thought there were organizations in place already. Although, maybe they are more like frats and just something to put on your resume that you held a position? In the end, everyone's just looking out for themselves...

I don't understand why the AMA is pledging $10 million towards the "advancement" of medical education. Since when was the US medical education so bad to begin with? Seemed to me like they're leading the world in that category.

This. It's a product of the system.

Right on the money!!