In your opinion ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missserica

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello hello,

It's a lazy Saturday afternoon for me, procrastinating on packing before I go off to school again. Anyway, I know all dental schools say it doesn't matter if a student is a science major or non-science major .. but, right about now, my overall GPA is a 3.54 and my science GPA is a 3.03. This is an estimation, well, my own calculations. BTW, I am not done w/ prereqs. Anyway, currently I am a Women's Studies major and hope to go to dental school. I have two more years at the university - but I mean, my overall GPA rocks, but my science GPA is drastically lower. Does it show that science is not my strong point? I planned it out, and I can still major in Biology and graduate on time. To consider 1) I'm pessimistic but 2) I am now motivated and determined to get into dental school, I feel like my overall GPA would sink a bit. I have been getting B's basically in all my science courses. What do you think, should I stick to my non-science major or major in biology?

I would really appreciate anyone's imput.

Thanks,

Erica T.

Members don't see this ad.

Major in whatever gives you the highest overall gpa and what interests you. Sounds like women's studies to me. Finish up those prereqs and try to boost your sci gpa. If you have the time, take some addition biology classes to raise your gpa. Often upper level science classes are easier to get A's in when the prof isn't interested in "weeding out" students. Find anything that can pad your sci gpa.

Incidentally, one of my most difficult classes was women's literature.. and I majored in biochem. Go figure.

First off, Missserica, I don't think your science gpa is terribly low, though I do understand your desire to bring it up. Do you feel that your Women's Studies major is taking away from your ability to concentrate on your science courses? Then again, perhaps my frustration with the intellectual vacuum which has consumed American public dialogue is speaking for me. I know people are going to disagree with me on this and scream treason, but if you can pull up your grades to an 'A' in your remaining pre-reqs then I would stick with your major and get in some additional science courses. Why? A writing intensive major that emphasizes both social and critical theories, such as Women's Studies, will equip you to be an informed and engaged member of your community. Plus, it will set you apart from the other applicants.

It is important to do as well as you can in your biology classes, not only from a gpa standpoint, but also for preparation for dental school. If dealing with the binary of hard science and liberal arts courses is too distracting, and your biology, chem, etc., grades are taking a hit because of it, then perhaps switching majors might work to your advantage (i.e. keep your study momentum going). I hate to see your efforts thus far as fruitless. Are you far enough along that you could easily get a minor in W.S. if you do switch majors? I think that it would only require a couple of four credit science courses, with an 'A' in each, to bring your science gpa up. If you feel that your current major is stimulating and you are benefiting from the exposure to its school of thought, and can devote time and energy to raise those pre-req grades, then I say stick with your current path. Best of luck!

I hate that it does, I think thats the worst thing that Ad coms base there decisions on . I love when people come up to me and there like my gpa is a 3.6, and there like do you think I will get in. Then come to find out that its in basketweaving or some half @ss degree that will just get you to the unemployment line, if thats all you went to college for. Don't get me wrong, but there is no comparision to a hardcore science major to liberal arts major, such as communication or history. To me you just look LAZY as hell! I am sure I am offending multiple people on here, I am glad. It should be recognized that Science degrees are much harder to get than liberal arts degrees. THATS a fact, regardless of what school you come from. This whole attitude about do something that you like degree, sounds more like pick a major with that allows you to be as lazy as possible. Whats worse, is that adcoms are rewarding these folks that are taking the easy way through college.