Inappropriate laughter??? medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMGCAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is there any medicine for inappropriate laughter....?

How to treat?

Thanks,
IMGCAN

Members don't see this ad.

What are we talking about here? Inappropriate laughter in a pt with neurological injury (pseudobulbar palsy), or inappropriate laughter in the medical student who gets the giggles while rounding on the inpatient psych unit (I always found biting the inside of my lip helpful).

Sooo true-I just could not help but laughing noticably during some psych patients. Sadly some of the sickest ones that you see in involuntary court ordered settings-they would be screaming or singing some random song and dancing around the place-just too many too list but I could not contain myself to a degree.

Also I had this really funny attending and the way he asked demented patients questions just cracked me up(he was seriosu but it wasfunny)

anyway I tried to think of something else like seeing your mother naked or something devestating

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am not talking about any organic problems associated with inappropriate laughter...

Like Littlemantate, I also experience the same type , when pts act funnily again and again(That is without anyknowledge) I couldn't control my laughter (With knowledge & I know this is wrong ).. If it is too much , then it's going to affect me.... I want to fix this .How Any ideas.

Thanks
IMGCAN...

Ironically, I find this question kind of amusing. I can def. see myself having this problem too. Maybe you could put a rubber band on your wrist and snap yourself every time you laugh inappropriately. Any other thoughts? Maybe once you see enough "funny" stuff, you get desensitized.

I once had an attending tell me that if you can barely keep a straight face during the initial interview, it's a pretty sensitive indicator that the patient in question is manic.

I still haven't quite gotten over talking about bowel movents, flatus, anal fissures and the like. Maybe I'm a little skatologically minded-- but that may be the only thing I will really miss about medicine- the small chuckle inside that I get every time I ask someone about their poo.

Hi

Is there any medicine for inappropriate laughter....?

How to treat?

Thanks,
IMGCAN

I'm glad someone else feels this way. How could you not laugh at the who gets taken to the bathroom by the nurse won't go, then goes back to their room, squats and pees on the floor.......like a little puppy.
My problem is that I could just think about that at any given time and start laughing- during mundane sit rounds, etc. I think it makes me look manic. Would any of you think someone who did this was manic?

I still haven't quite gotten over talking about bowel movents, flatus, anal fissures and the like. Maybe I'm a little skatologically minded-- but that may be the only thing I will really miss about medicine- the small chuckle inside that I get every time I ask someone about their poo.

Chewbacca, I am smiling right now in fact that you managed to use the word 'skatologically' in a sentence. Rock on!

I had this smiling/wanting to giggle problem in my psych rotation and worried that it would make me a poor psychiatrist if i chose the field (which I didn't..) I never laughed out loud, but I felt kindof mean when these poor souls who were being tormented by voices in their pudding shared their demons, and I was working to keep a straight face...have to agree with the lip biting strategy also!

Hello Folks:

I forgot to mention that I was laughing at my husband inappropriately. I don't know why I do that, I am trying to get some help. My husband feels humiliated and insulted and as a result there have been many arguments. I don't how how to change myself.

cheers,
imgcan

Hello Folks:

I forgot to mention that I was laughing at my husband inappropriately. I don't know why I do that, I am trying to get some help. My husband feels humiliated and insulted and as a result there have been many arguments. I don't how how to change myself.

cheers,
imgcan

Seriously, Are you really a resident:confused: I also wonder if this borders on seeking medical/psychological advice.