Incidence Biostats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sloow

MedJunkie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is a graph that shows a bunch of patients and its labeled as basically a timelime that shows when someone was diagnosed with a disease, but then it also labels patients who were lost to follow up. When calculating the incidence would you still include the lost to follow ups or simply calculate the incidence as the # of new diseased/whoever is left in the study?

I.e 20 patient time lines, 5 of them were diagnosed with the disease somewhere along the time line and 7 were lost to follow up.

Would incidence be 5/20 or 5/13

Members don't see this ad.

If there is a graph that shows a bunch of patients and its labeled as basically a timelime that shows when someone was diagnosed with a disease, but then it also labels patients who were lost to follow up. When calculating the incidence would you still include the lost to follow ups or simply calculate the incidence as the # of new diseased/whoever is left in the study?

I.e 20 patient time lines, 5 of them were diagnosed with the disease somewhere along the time line and 7 were lost to follow up.

Would incidence be 5/20 or 5/13

I would assume 5/13 since you cant assume that none of the 7 that left got or didn't get the disease.

I would assume 5/13 since you cant assume that none of the 7 that left got or didn't get the disease.

But for incidence rate, you would count the person time that the 7 were followed for till their loss of followup right?