include internship w dad's business?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njftol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 summers ago I worked briefly at my dad's business for ~1 day a week as an "intern".. I sometimes helped research/draft proposals for clients, etc.

My question is, should I even list it on the AMCAS activities? The contact person and company would both be w my dad, so I don't know if that would trigger a red flag or not.

Also of note, one of my majors is business, so it would make sense for me to have some sort of business internship. That same summer though, I mainly did lab research and volunteering, so it's not like I need filler activities for that time period.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone else you could put for the contact info? Does your dad have a partner or maybe even an administrative assistant. I would do whatever I could to keep your dad's name off the app. If you can do that and it was a significant amount of time, I would definitly include it.

2 summers ago I worked briefly at my dad's business for ~1 day a week as an "intern".. I sometimes helped research/draft proposals for clients, etc.

My question is, should I even list it on the AMCAS activities? The contact person and company would both be w my dad, so I don't know if that would trigger a red flag or not.

Also of note, one of my majors is business, so it would make sense for me to have some sort of business internship. That same summer though, I mainly did lab research and volunteering, so it's not like I need filler activities for that time period.

It shouldn't matter with your dad's name and company to appear in the application for as long as you're doing this with integrity.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, helping out with the family business is stigmatized. I have no idea why. I've helped my dad out at his business a lot because he can't afford to hire anyone for the kind of work I do for him (cleaning, basic repairs, etc). Helping my dad out at his business helped my family a lot more than if I had gone and gotten my own job.

For some reason, helping out with the family business is stigmatized. I have no idea why. I've helped my dad out at his business a lot because he can't afford to hire anyone for the kind of work I do for him (cleaning, basic repairs, etc). Helping my dad out at his business helped my family a lot more than if I had gone and gotten my own job.

I disagree. An informal poll after an adcom meeting showed that many of us worked in family businesses as "kids".

The one situation where it can be a little questionable is when the business is a medical office and the applicant has no other clinical exposure. Then you have to wonder if this is bullcrap or filler and that the applicant is deficient in clinical exposure.