Include taking care of my mother in W/A or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Open_Main

Reaction score
Hello,
During gr 9 to gr 11 I helped take care of my mother who was sick. I already have 15 work/activities put into place so this would most likely replace my hobbies or perhaps on the clubs I did in first year. I talk about my mom getting sick in my PS but don't take about me taking care of her in the PS. I saw that med schools look at this experience as clincial, so I assume that would be asset to my application since I don't have as much clinical hours as I want.
What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking care of a sick family member isn't really clinical experience. If you already have 15 activities I wouldn't replace any of them unless one of them is weak.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, things that happened in HS are usually left off of the W&A because you have 15 more recent activities to include, which you do. Hobbies are really important because it shows another side of you... something beyond just working, something fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, things that happened in HS are usually left off of the W&A because you have 15 more recent activities to include, which you do. Hobbies are really important because it shows another side of you... something beyond just working, something fun.
Thank you!!

Hello,
During gr 9 to gr 11 I helped take care of my mother who was sick. I already have 15 work/activities put into place so this would most likely replace my hobbies or perhaps on the clubs I did in first year. I talk about my mom getting sick in my PS but don't take about me taking care of her in the PS. I saw that med schools look at this experience as clincial, so I assume that would be asset to my application since I don't have as much clinical hours as I want.
What are your thoughts?
What happened in high school stays in high school.

And as a good daughter, you're supposed to take care of your parents! So no, this isn't clinical.

What are your thoughts?
Though including this in Work/Activities isn't in your best interests, it's still fine to discuss your care of your mom in your PS as part of your "Path to Medicine."

Reactions: 3 users