incoming 1st year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julesPharmD

crazy lady
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to be an incoming P1 for fall 2005. Class of 2009. It seems miles away from here, but I've been in school forever and moving on to the final frontier. I went to a preview weekend and I hope that I don't get overwhelmed once I get started. I have heard nightmares of workloads and time constraints. I am also a mom and would like any advice for making it all work because my family support system will be miles away. Just needing some encouraging been there/done that I guess. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Study for tests well ahead of time. Looking back on the hard classes I've taken, my problem wasn't as much that it was intellectually challenging as it was just poor time management on my part.

julesPharmD said:
Hi everyone! I'm going to be an incoming P1 for fall 2005. Class of 2009. It seems miles away from here, but I've been in school forever and moving on to the final frontier. I went to a preview weekend and I hope that I don't get overwhelmed once I get started. I have heard nightmares of workloads and time constraints. I am also a mom and would like any advice for making it all work because my family support system will be miles away. Just needing some encouraging been there/done that I guess. Thanks
Same here! I'll be p1 this fall also. And I'm kinda scared by all warnings about first and second years of pharmacy school. :scared: Any encouragement? please..... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard for me to believe that its already been one year since I was feeling exactly what you guys are feeling. First, just know that the first year is going to really fly by!

Like the previous poster said, my main issue was time management. It's something that I'm constantly working on and I have made great improvements. With your big classes, just don't wait until the week of the test to study. It can be done, but its just so much easier if you study a little bit at a time way in advance. I actually recommend making an outline of your notes (or whatever works for you) daily while the info is still fresh on your mind.

Pharmacy school is tough, but you'll be able to handle it I'm sure. We have lots of moms in our class and while they are much busier than the rest of us, they still do well in school.

Good luck!

Everyone who gets in to pharmd school will have the potential to handle the courseload....if you couldn't, then they wouldn't admit you. So think positive, enjoy the summer, and get ready to meet some great colleagues you'll be spending 4 years with. :thumbup:

Honestly, it's nothing you can't handle. I procrastinated plenty during my first year and I still came out with a 3.4 GPA. If grades matter to you a whole lot and you will die if you don't make a 4.0, you will probably spend most of your weekends and evenings studying. I was satisfied with making B's and C's and I had plenty of time to have a job and do fun things on evenings and weekends. The best advice I can give is take it one day at a time. If you get your test schedule for the semester and start worrying about it WAY ahead of time, you're going to do nothing but stress out. Take things as they come and be sure to give yourself some time off every now and then to recuperate. The biggest challenge will probably be learning your professors' testing styles (at least it was for me). Once I knew what kinds of things they liked to focus on, it made studying for the exams a heck of a lot easier.

:) thanks everyone. I look forward to getting tips along the way. I'll keep you posted on how it's going for me. ;)