Incoming IM interns: what are you reading in prepration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tetris

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Textbooks? Board review books? Journals? SDN posts? Or what?

And what topics in particular? How about EKG interpretation, radiology, prescription writing?

I've been out of med school for a while and feel rusty. Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been on here quite a bit, trying to waste as much time and possible! I have been going on different sites as well reading as much as I can if I get motivated. I have went to http://www.medlectures.com a few times and downloaded a few lectures from there. Some a pretty good, some seem more upper level than interns though.

Thanks. Any more advice, anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about whatever pocket brain-type book you plan on using? That way you can review some important information and also get an idea of what is in this book and where to find things.

Textbooks? Board review books? Journals? SDN posts? Or what?

And what topics in particular? How about EKG interpretation, radiology, prescription writing?

I've been out of med school for a while and feel rusty. Please advise.

nothing.

I've heard from everyone: chill while you can.

Also, nothing. While at times I feel a bit guilty or nervous about this, I have been reassured that we should enjoy our sleep and time off while we can so that we're refreshed when intern year starts.

Oh, but if you do read, ACLS review might be useful b/c you'll probably have to do it during your programs orientation anyways. I'm waiting to do it during the orientation.

Also, nothing. While at times I feel a bit guilty or nervous about this, I have been reassured that we should enjoy our sleep and time off while we can so that we're refreshed when intern year starts.

Oh, but if you do read, ACLS review might be useful b/c you'll probably have to do it during your programs orientation anyways. I'm waiting to do it during the orientation.

That's what I'm doing. I've done maybe about two hours of ACLS review (well, preview really since I've never done it before) during the past couple of weeks. I may do another hour or so but that's it. Nothing else.

I'm down to less than 2 weeks of internship left then its on to wonderful Anesthesiology for me. It has been a long a brutal year (I'm at a top IM program that works you to the bone) which makes finishing up that much sweeter.

The best advice I can give is to take the next couple of weeks off and relax as much as possible. Don't study, don't read, just relax. The only thing I may do would be to write down the main ACLS protocals and put them into your little Blue Book (IM handbook, you know the one). If a code gets called there will more than likely be tons of people there with residents to run it. As an intern you don't really run codes until later on in the year. I found the protocals helpful for SVT and things of that nature that I would have to treat while doing cross cover in the middle of the night. Other than that just have fun over the next few weeks.

The first few days of internship will be stressful but you will learn very quickly and by the second week most people feel failry comfortable. When you look back a year from now you'll realize that internship wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. Oh, one more thing. Sleep alot and sleep in late. During internship sleep is seen as a luxary and unfortunately you don't get much of it. :)

Good luck guys.

I haven't had a book open for three months... actually probably longer than that.

I am at a coffee shop now trying my hardest to read over this ACLS prep stuff before the class tomorrow.... talk about no motivation!

Sleeping in and staying up late has been great. Have to break the habit soon...