INCOMING STUDENT: Note-taking/work flow tips (for ICO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnw256

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming student this fall! Was wondering if I should get a laptop with touch/pen functionality (a 2-in-1 or like a Microsoft surface). I already have a nice laptop that should last me 4 yrs but it doesn't have any touch functionality.

Also, what's everyone's work flow like? I know it differs for class and for person but what do you all do generally with going to class/rewatching lecture/slides/notes?

Open to any other tips for incoming students!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also wondering the same thing!

I bought a MacBook Pro the summer before I started school, and sold it the week before finals at the end of 1st year and bought a Surface Pro 4. I wished I had the stylus and touch screen capabilities, ESPECIALLY for all of the anatomies. I prefer to hand-write notes when I can, so I still used the stylus to take notes through 2nd and 3rd year, and would never go back to not having one. Lots of people have iPad Pros, too. I used OneNote exclusively, and having a stylus makes that program the absolute best for taking notes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am tempted to invest into an iPad Pro for school in the fall

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming student this fall! Was wondering if I should get a laptop with touch/pen functionality (a 2-in-1 or like a Microsoft surface). I already have a nice laptop that should last me 4 yrs but it doesn't have any touch functionality.

Also, what's everyone's work flow like? I know it differs for class and for person but what do you all do generally with going to class/rewatching lecture/slides/notes?

Open to any other tips for incoming students!

I have a HP Spectre x360 and I ended up buying an iPad w/ the apple pen when I was studying for part 1 of NBEO. I usually take notes on my power points... re write .. re watch recordings if needed to clarify concepts... make quizlets... really is different depending on how you study. Some people do well with a group or independent.. you’ll get the hang of it after first semester! Really , it’s time management and you’ll have somewhat of a life. Goodluck ! (Not an ICO student but study methods seem to be the same across the board)