Incompetent lab group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

First day of physiology lab and we were assigned our lab groups. We were doing the simplest things but my group just didn't have the motivation to do things, like make sure sig figs were right (literally adding a zero to the end of a number or adding a decimal" or referring to something as an "axon" instead of a "tube". The question would read "List the four factors that impact ____" but they'd insist on putting five to go "above and beyond" which is sure points off. Reading calculations that reads "14.40" as "1,440", consistently. Theres a point where I can't go through and look at all of the work over and over because I don't want to be that kid. What tf do I do lmao I don't want this to hurt my grade in a class that is quite simple.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to the TA to see if you can get a new lab group or just bring it up to see what they suggest, they may keep that in mind while they grade your papers at the very least

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Talk to your group. Ask them what's going on. Tell them how this is impacting your lab experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to deal with incompetent people all your life. Eventually you'll be in a position where you won't have a TA to help you and you'll need to find a way to deal with it yourself

Reactions: 1 users
You will have to deal with incompetent people all your life. Eventually you'll be in a position where you won't have a TA to help you and you'll need to find a way to deal with it yourself

Yeah talking to the TA wasn't really an option for me. I'm not the type to make other people be assertive for me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel you man. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw when it comes to lab partners, and you end up carrying your entire group. Not much you can do but brace yourself for a rough semester

Reactions: 1 user
The struggles of becoming the one man team.
Letting me down.png

Reactions: 4 users
I feel you man. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw when it comes to lab partners, and you end up carrying your entire group. Not much you can do but brace yourself for a rough semester

I'm fine with carrying, but each person has to be a recorder twice for the semester so I feel weird telling them every. single. Word. to write down. Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my literal situation in my Gen Chem II Lab right now- it really sucks.

BUT, what I did and what I would advise you to do, adding on to what others said, is to explain that lab should be an easy* (compared to lecture) A grade and tell them to focus. Correct them when they don't understand concepts like sig figs so that they can learn and (eventually) get their **** together and help you out.

This is my literal situation in my Gen Chem II Lab right now- it really sucks.

BUT, what I did and what I would advise you to do, adding on to what others said, is to explain that lab should be an easy* (compared to lecture) A grade and tell them to focus. Correct them when they don't understand concepts like sig figs so that they can learn and (eventually) get their **** together and help you out.

It isn't a matter of them not knowing, it's no
joke them not wanting to put a decimal or a zero due to laziness. Not even kidding.