incomplete course titles on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a class what labled experimentation/intrumentation in biotechnology that according to amcas I can set as a bio class even though it was an engineering one. however... on my transcript all you can see becuase of the lengthy name is experimentation/instru. SHould I put in the entire name along with the bio designation and hope they ok it or do they hopefully cal the school for courses like that to get the full title

Members don't see this ad.

I've not heard of them calling schools to get that sort of information. It would be too time consuming.

Read the instructions on the AMCAS form. Unless they say to enter it exactly as it appears on your transcript, go ahead and entire the title and designation in its entirety.

you're actually supposed to enter exactly what's on the transcript. i remember reading that on amcas last year because i was in the same situation.

I think I had a physics class that showed up as:

PHY 302 LtSndMch

Apparently, it's easier for amcas to verify this way.

EDIT: just looked it up on AMCAS and here's what they say:

Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number
in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a
logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify
each course on the official transcript and to the medical school's
evaluation of your application.

So it's kinda vague. I took it to mean exactly what was on the transcript.​

Members don't see this ad :)
you're actually supposed to enter exactly what's on the transcript. i remember reading that on amcas last year because i was in the same situation.

I think I had a physics class that showed up as:

PHY 302 LtSndMch

Apparently, it's easier for amcas to verify this way.

EDIT: just looked it up on AMCAS and here's what they say:

So it's kinda vague. I took it to mean exactly what was on the transcript.​

Jolie South is absolutely correct here.

Think about it - some human is going to go through your transcripts, course by course, to verify that what you have entered in the AMCAS app matches the transcripts. If you start fooling around with course titles, changing dept headings, etc., to better reflect the content of the class, you are asking for trouble...after they verify your transcripts, you are given the opportunity to appeal any classes that AMCAS does not include in your BCPM if it really matters to you...this can delay your app a bit, but if it makes a big diff in GPA, you can decide to appeal...

My transcript was jibberish, so I translated the courses for AMCAS. They verified it without any questions. An example...

GRK LTN ENG USG

I entered the course title:

Greek and Latin in English Usage

AMCAS figured it out and quite frankly I was more concerned with the ADCOM being able to make sense of the courses on my application.

I wrote out the entire course title for a few (I took Physics II for Engineers and it just showed up as Physics II) and it wasn't a problem. They verified me in about the same time as everyone else who submitted near the time I did.

I assume the biggest questions are on classes with BCPM content that are not labeled as such (or don't even come under a BCPM dept heading).

I wonder if AMCAS isn't a little more sophisticated about all of this than we may be aware - seems like they would either have developed a database of course titles for each school, or they would have easy access to a school's course catalog in case of questions...also - med school adcoms typically divvy up apps they review by schools (one adcom does the initial review of all of the apps from Backwater U), so it is more likely that an adcom is familiar with, say, the peculiar course titling at School X and probably has less of a problem deciphering them...just a guess...

Still, I don't think you can go wrong following the rules. Ad libbing too much on AMCAS could lead to delays...