Incorporating Dietetics: Creating A Weight Loss Plan vs. Consulting A Dietician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SuckySurgeon7

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all,

In order to get patients to lose some weight, I feel it would be helpful (and profitable?) to actually create some generic weight loss plans that can be modified slightly for each patient's needs. Specifically:

1) Recipes for each plan (20 or so per)
2) Exercises with variable intervals (walking a mile vs. running a mile, etc.)
3) Calorie counting spreadsheets for accountability
4) Maybe work out a discount for patients with the local gym in exchange for some consulting???

Has anyone tried this and found it to be profitable? Or what about employing or consulting a dietician?
 
Hey y'all,

In order to get patients to lose some weight, I feel it would be helpful (and profitable?) to actually create some generic weight loss plans that can be modified slightly for each patient's needs. Specifically:

1) Recipes for each plan (20 or so per)
2) Exercises with variable intervals (walking a mile vs. running a mile, etc.)
3) Calorie counting spreadsheets for accountability
4) Maybe work out a discount for patients with the local gym in exchange for some consulting???

Has anyone tried this and found it to be profitable? Or what about employing or consulting a dietician?
I consult dieticians all the time. For a full dietary consultation they're both better at it than I am and are less expensive for the same amount of time than I am.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I consult dieticians all the time. For a full dietary consultation they're both better at it than I am and are less expensive for the same amount of time than I am.

Is there a specific billing code for dietary counseling? Or how would billing work?
 
Is there a specific billing code for dietary counseling? Or how would billing work?

The ICD-9 code is V65.3. You'd bill based on time. For example, if you spent more than 50% of a 15-minute visit counseling, you'd code a 99213. If you spent more than 50% of a 25-minute visit counseling, you'd code a 99214. Your note would need to reflect the time spent and the general content of the counseling.

Coding on the Basis of Time
http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2008/1100/p17.html