Incorporating shadowing experiences into personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyShades

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Do y'all believe that we should incorporate shadowing into our motivations of dentistry. I mean yes, it's the reasons why I want to do dentistry 100%. However, I feel that this is redundant. I have several volunteer experiences that I feel that can be incorporated into instead.

Members don't see this ad.

I did, and got multiple acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
What else is there to talk about?

I just feel that by adding your dentist name and what brought your motivation is pretty generic. Just because that everyone is going talk about how their dentist taught several different procedures in a passionate way. lol.

Anyways, I included it in mine too.

I included a very brief paragraph about it. It's really not a make or break kind of thing. If you feel that your volunteer experience will better describe your character/motivations for dentistry, then I'd go with that route.

Maybe highlight a particular incident that happened during your shadowing that enriched your experience? It sounds less boring than "While at Dr. ___'s office, I observed ___, ___, and ___"

There must have been a particular experience, either from shadowing or volunteering that made you think: "I want to become dentist".

Are your volunteering experiences dental related? If so, I think talking about that can absolutely take the place of shadowing commentary. I didn't mention shadowing at all in my PS, but had two paragraphs related to my dental-related volunteer work. You must talk about some sort of exposure to dentistry and how that has influenced your decision to apply to school. And try to make it truthful and heartfelt; over the past few weeks I've read too many "I remember when I lost my first tooth!" narratives in PS drafts. Keep it current, relevant, and interesting. I know, easier said than done, but if you read your draft back to yourself and you're bored... that's a problem.

Omitting comments on shadowing experience might make some think that the applicant is more interested in whatever the focus of the ps happens to be.

Omitting comments on shadowing experience might make some think that the applicant is more interested in whatever the focus of the ps happens to be, which usually is far removed from the nuts and bolts of dentistry.

Are your volunteering experiences dental related? If so, I think talking about that can absolutely take the place of shadowing commentary. I didn't mention shadowing at all in my PS, but had two paragraphs related to my dental-related volunteer work. You must talk about some sort of exposure to dentistry and how that has influenced your decision to apply to school. And try to make it truthful and heartfelt; over the past few weeks I've read too many "I remember when I lost my first tooth!" narratives in PS drafts. Keep it current, relevant, and interesting. I know, easier said than done, but if you read your draft back to yourself and you're bored... that's a problem.

Interesting, I don't think I have really any dental volunteers. It is pretty hard to get a few of those in Texas. My main exposure was through shadowing and probably even small internship (less than 20 hours.)

I am just incorporating my characteristics into my personal statement through the various volunteers that I have done. Although they are not dental related, which is something I need to work on.

I barely mentioned shadowing at all and got multiple acceptances. There's no formula for a p.s. As long as it speaks "you" and not some generic bs it will be favored by adcoms.