Increasing cGPA and sGPA help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted841205

I have a pretty low cGPA right now (alittle over 3.0) and probably an even lower sGPA (I'm not too sure).
I know I don't have a chance at med school (DO or MD) at this rate.
What's a good way to increase sGPA and cGPA? I still have 1.5 years of undergrad left and want to increase both GPAs as much as I can. If I have an upward trend starting now, will that look good?
Maybe I'll even take a Post-Bacc program after graduating.
I also am going to take some summer courses at Stanford University to re-take some basic science courses that I did horridly at my university. This is the only choice I have since UC schools don't allow retakes for grades higher than C-.
Also, any advice on how to study for the MCAT?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You should ace the remaining science classes you have left. You should take "fluff" BCPM courses. Such as, CHE xxx CHEMISTRY OF FOOD, etc.

Afterwards, you could go back to any state school, and complete a DIY post-bacc. Retake any C/D/F courses you have.

If you want to increase your cGPA, take what you enjoy. ADCOMS will not penalize you for taking a course that you're interested in, such as Theater.. or that fluff science course you decided to take ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's a good way to increase sGPA and cGPA? I still have 1.5 years of undergrad left and want to increase both GPAs as much as I can. If I have an upward trend starting now, will that look good?
You are going to need a post-bacc if you have 3 semesters left and a 2.x sGPA right now.

I also am going to take some summer courses at Stanford University to re-take some basic science courses that I did horridly at my university.
It is pointless to re-take classes you passed. You should instead simply take new BCPM classes to boost your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take higher level science courses and get As. Sometimes there's no getting around hard work.
P.S. Higher level doesn't always mean harder.

Also if you have electives, take humanities (e.g. History of marijuana usage)

You have no chance. Looking for quick-fixes like postbaccs at this point is a sure sign that, best case, you scam the admissions committees. Enjoy the good vibes of SDNers who got in with 2.0/25 stats, but then get real and think of something else.

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
You have no chance. Looking for quick-fixes like postbaccs at this point is a sure sign that, best case, you scam the admissions committees. Enjoy the good vibes of SDNers who got in with 2.0/25 stats, but then get real and think of something else.
Reported and awaiting the smack of the Banhammer.
And for the rest of you,

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
Reported and awaiting the smack of the Banhammer.
And for the rest of you,

Weird how cut and dry advice is banworthy, when it isn't Goro-signed. This board is useless anyways. Head to Reddit, people who aren't stuck in 2006.

^ Were you gonna say something for the rest of us, Goro?

OP, start by going to your school's learning or education center, for help with learning styles, test taking strategies, time mgt, etc. IF you have test taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed as well.

I have a pretty low cGPA right now (alittle over 3.0) and probably an even lower sGPA (I'm not too sure).
I know I don't have a chance at med school (DO or MD) at this rate.
I also am going to take some summer courses at Stanford University to re-take some basic science courses that I did horridly at my university. This is the only choice I have since UC schools don't allow retakes for grades higher than C-.
Also, any advice on how to study for the MCAT?

Thank you!

As someone who graduated with a 3.1x and am now in a top 30 MD school...this is surmountable, but it's by no means easy. You don't get to cut yourself any slack anymore. You need to decide that you are going to get As and make it happen. You need to figure out why you weren't getting them before and address the root issues. You need to do this without just toning down your course load, because you need to learn to handle a hard courseload and ace it...and unlike most applicants, who may not have really demonstrated that they could do that but are at least getting decent grades with whatever challenge they did take on, you've already attempted it an fallen short, so you actually need to demonstrate that you have changed on that front.

It is possible, but you're going to need to show at least a year or two of solid A coursework in challenging science courses. You're going to need to do well on the MCAT - you can't be trying to explain away poor performance on both fronts. And it's more important for you to have solid ECs, etc., because you already have one weak point in your application, so another would be a bigger deal for you than for someone else.

If you can manage those things, you'll be fine. But that's a big undertaking.

Be mentally prepared for an uphill battle. I had a 3.0ish going into junior year. Brought it up to 3.5 by graduation. Checked all the boxes. Had some great ECs. Did well on the MCAT. Applied broadly. Got ONE acceptance, off the waitlist, in late May last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Upwards trends help especially strong ones. focus on academics and cut back any other EC's you are doing. You need 4.0 @18 credit hours for the next year and a half.